Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I dunno about that, the "Bee" with the right bullet is an awesome round for about any game we have here in BC, but, 53 seasons and decades of often solo, multi-month work in Grizzly country have me preferring a .338WM, 250NP at 2700-2800 or 9.3x62, 286 NP at 2500. I have a .375 as well and packed others while hunting Elk where there are lots of Grizzlies, but, came to prefer the other two rounds.

GB1

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Trystan

Disclaimer,

Just because I'm new around here and ask for others opinions doesn't mean I haven't hunted for 40 years nor does it mean I haven't shot at 500 ish yds 10,000 times. It simply means I appreciate others point of view. So paaleese try not to "ASSUME" what you have zero idea about and just offer me your friendly advice because I always appreciate an unassuming point of view.

Trystan

With 30,000-50,000 or maybe 20,000 rounds fired if you were shooting 2-shot groups at ~500 yards, you need help choosing a cartridge?

Because where I live a good many hunters have had a serious encounter with griz apon taking down an elk. Generally you just back away and let the grizzly claim the carcass if that's an option. I've had this happen to two different brothers a cousin and several friends. In other words its a fairly serious consideration. If you find yourself stairing down a hungry griz do you want a 6.5X55 swede or would you prefer something of the magnum variety. For my cousin and 1 friend backing away is not an option that was presented.

Trystan

With your brothers, cousins and friends having already dealt with this issue, why not ask them for help?

Dave

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
"It would depend on what type of scope you intend to use"

Aren't you getting ahead of yourself?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Get 2 different rifles...

One for 500 yard shots: your 6.5x55,

Another for bear: 338WM to 458WM and all in between.

Or,

If you have to have 1 rifle, then you'll be compromising, which always points to a 30-06.

Good luck!

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Zengela
300 Weatherby Magnum. I've shot steel plates @ 700 yards and no elk or grizz would stand a chance against it..

Loaded with a 200 gr Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame for elk or a chance encounter with a grizzly.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Have you looked at the 223ai?

I haven't, is this ingwe in disguise? I'm not gay anymore!

Trystan

No, that wasn't me...but Kudos on escaping the closet!

6.5 Swede is skookum!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Thanks for the heads up. Do you have any recommendation as far as a rifle in 7 STW or 28 Nosler?

Trystan

Yeah...dont get either one...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ingwe

Thanks for the heads up. Do you have any recommendation as far as a rifle in 7 STW or 28 Nosler?

Trystan

Yeah...dont get either one...

Ingwe,

I'm going to go with Jordan's recommendation and get a 7 mag. I've already got dies and brass so it makes sense.

I agree the 6.5 Swede is the bee's ☺

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You might be able to talk me outta my XCRII unless your going to Tikkaville.

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 16bore
You might be able to talk me outta my XCRII unless your going to Tikkaville.

I appreciate the offer.....I'm going Sako ☺

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 10/31/17.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have no doubt the 6.5x55 can handle paper punching at 700 yards, and is a wonderful caliber I wouldn’t hesitate to use on elk. With such a high chance of running into a grizzly though, I’d want more firepower. I would just have to use my 9.3x62 and limit my shots to 250-300 yards or so on elk. I’m sure the 7mag will be a decent dual purpose rifle for you. I’d still choose a heavy tough bullet though for the chance Grizzly encounter. I wouldn’t have much faith in a long range bullet in 7mag at 15 feet with a grizzly.

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Cleveland48
I have no doubt the 6.5x55 can handle paper punching at 700 yards, and is a wonderful caliber I wouldn’t hesitate to use on elk. With such a high chance of running into a grizzly though, I’d want more firepower. I would just have to use my 9.3x62 and limit my shots to 250-300 yards or so on elk. I’m sure the 7mag will be a decent dual purpose rifle for you. I’d still choose a heavy tough bullet though for the chance Grizzly encounter. I wouldn’t have much faith in a long range bullet in 7mag at 15 feet with a grizzly.

Cleveland,

I agree with you and I'm leaning toward loading either a Partition or Barnes bullet for Bears and use on elk inside 3-400 yds and for critters a bit further I would carry an extra mag with 168 bergers or 180 elds like Jordan Mentioned.

Trystan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, I use the 140TTSX/180ELD combo in mine for just that sort of use...

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
FWIW, I use the 140TTSX/180ELD combo in mine for just that sort of use...

Jordan,

Sounds like a great combo. May I ask what twist your running to spin the 180 eld? Thanks

PS: Now days with all the new bullets they keep coming out with a fella can be left standing out in the cold if his rifle isn't twisted pretty tight. In fact its the very reason I've decided to get out of the 270 buisiness. To many other options that are more versatile.

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 10/31/17.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got twists from 8 to 9.5 that spin them just fine. I'd go 8" if choosing today.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Today I went and gave my last 270 to my son in law. As of now my dedicated hunting rifle is a 6.5X55 swede and I guess I have to admit now I've been bit by the 6.5 bug. ☺

As of now I don't own any weapons of the magnum variety but I am considering buying one rifle that would fill any nitch that the 6.5 Swede doesn't. Particularly a rifle to accommodate hunting elk in grizzly territory and also one that will dual purpose serve as a 700 ish yd long range rifle.

Disclaimer,

Just because I'm new around here and ask for others opinions doesn't mean I haven't hunted for 40 years nor does it mean I haven't shot at 500 ish yds 10,000 times. It simply means I appreciate others point of view. So paaleese try not to "ASSUME" what you have zero idea about and just offer me your friendly advice because I always appreciate an unassuming point of view.

PS....the above Disclaimer is intended for trolls and scum and the like...... not the 98% of the other helpful campfire members. ☺☺☺

Trystan

Post a picture of one big game animal you've killed.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Glad you didn't ask me....

Ive only ever killed one.....

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Today I went and gave my last 270 to my son in law. As of now my dedicated hunting rifle is a 6.5X55 swede and I guess I have to admit now I've been bit by the 6.5 bug. ☺

As of now I don't own any weapons of the magnum variety but I am considering buying one rifle that would fill any nitch that the 6.5 Swede doesn't. Particularly a rifle to accommodate hunting elk in grizzly territory and also one that will dual purpose serve as a 700 ish yd long range rifle.

Disclaimer,

PS....the above Disclaimer is intended for trolls and scum and the like...... not the 98% of the other helpful campfire members. ☺☺☺

Trystan

I generally don't kill more than 2 or 3 a year and there nothing to brag about. It fills my freezer and I like the meat. This year my elk is going to be a cow and here in a week I will shoot her right off the farmers haystack. Hardly hunting at all. I wish I was more cool but I'm not.

Trystan

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Can’t wait to see some 3” 2-shot groups at 700 yds.....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Can’t wait to see some 3” 2-shot groups at 700 yds.....

Good morning Dogshooter,

I'm down to .284 inch 1 shot groups now

Trystan

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 16Racing, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,300
Posts18,525,972
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.