Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cap and rotor

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Such an engine that runs strong at highway speed is not likely to have a primary ignition problem - secondary, maybe. The suggested plug check is good - maybe use insulated pliers to grip.

I would suppose that the in-tank electric fuel pump is not sensitive to rpm rate - so not likely an issue involving fuel delivery to TBI - but there may be an injector problem at body. Maybe run some Seafoam or injector cleaner through those.

Don't know your vacuum setup, but a vac leak can cause such a problem on carb engines. So can high fuel pressure - maybe an injector is letting in too much fuel at idle. Is the engine loading up so that you are getting dark smoke/unburned fuel out the exhaust at idle? That = too much fuel for available air.

I know almost nothing about sensor operations, and the guys here talking sensor checks may be onto the problem.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Pop the hood in total darkness, see if you have a "light show " going on, with it running of course.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Long shot, but check the thermostat sensor plug at the thermostat and make sure it's not toasted.

If it is, the truck can think it's cold and it'll run richer by adding fuel (causing bogging down and surging at low RPM's) but the problem won't manifest itself at high RPMs.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
IAC
idle air control valve.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Electric fuel pump in the tank & injectors? If so make sure the fuel pump is producing enough pressure. I had fits with that on my '98 C1500.

I had a 91 1500 that had the low speed/idle miss issue....it eventually started acting up at highway speed and it turned out to be the in tank pump...easy to test the pressure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Electric fuel pump in the tank & injectors? If so make sure the fuel pump is producing enough pressure. I had fits with that on my '98 C1500.

I had a 91 1500 that had the low speed/idle miss issue....it eventually started acting up at highway speed and it turned out to be the in tank pump...easy to test the pressure.

That Gen of Chevy's had terrible fuel pumps. My buddy was like a NASCAR pit crew changing them he had done it enough times between 2 pickups of that Gen

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had absolute fits with my 87 throttle body injected 350. I transferred the old distributor to a new engine. It ran good for a year or so. Then it began to have a rough idle and sometimes stalled yet it ran great at higher RPMs. My tech tried switching ignition modules and it wouldn't run with the new module! He suspected a worn out distributor causing poor triggering of the pickup coil at idle. Higher RPMs would allow the distributor shaft to have less runout so it properly triggered the pickup coil. I put in a remanufactured distributor with all new parts and it solved the issue. 6 months later the crappy distributor cap and rotor had to be replaced with a good one as it began to cause issues too. (if I EVER get another distributor you can bet I'll be putting blue streak parts in it before it goes in!!!)

First off I'd change the cap and rotor. While the cap is off inspect at pickup coil. You never mentioned mileage on this engine. If it has high mileage you might put in a new distributor and be done with it.

Let us know what ends up fixing your problem.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I love these threads. Replace all of this stuff and then you take it to the shop. First thing you say "It can't be much as I already replaced everything".
Chuckle, chuckle

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Get the thing Scan Tooled First, instead of guessing...

I think Autozone will do that for free... don't know how thorough they do..

but it would be a start... instead of replacing a lot of things in an attempt
to guess, or get lucky on the solution.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I love these threads. Replace all of this stuff and then you take it to the shop. First thing you say "It can't be much as I already replaced everything".
Chuckle, chuckle

sure would be nice if my buddy had a competent shop in Delta to take it to.... that would make our searching life on his problems a LOT easier.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Couldn't get to it yesterday....hoping for this evening.

It has 199,6XX miles
2 Fuel pump replacements over the 15+ years that I've owned it[the last included a new fuel tank about a year ago].

Thanks for all of the replies

FJB & FJT
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

Please enlighten us on that easy test procedure. I've been looking for a way to do it.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
They used to make an adapter that would replace the fuel filter in the line.

I believe it had a standard Schrader type valve and thread.

The pumps can be a bit of a mystery. For example, a Vortec engine can be hard starting if the pressure is a pound or two under spec....but run like a raped ape once you get it going.

Unfortunately, the OBD system on the old throttle body set ups are a bit lacking. Fortunately, they are pretty simple.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Partsman
Mine the rotor came loose and was hitting inside cap.

My 92 did the same thing.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by savage24
Check engine timing.

WHy?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Long read but one of the better descriptions of how it all ties in for a TBI system.

http://www.autozone.com/repairguide...-Fuel-Injection-TBI/_/P-0996b43f803938c8

The purpose of the Idle Air Control (IAC) system is to control engine idle speed while preventing stalls due to changes in engine load. The IAC assembly, mounted on the throttle body, controls bypass air around the throttle plate. By extending or retracting a conical valve, a controlled amount of air can move around the throttle plate. If rpm is too low, more air is diverted around the throttle plate to increase rpm.

During idle, the proper position of the IAC valve is calculated by the ECM/PCM based on battery voltage, coolant temperature, engine load, and engine rpm. If the rpm drops below a specified rate, the throttle plate is closed. The ECM/PCM will then calculate a new valve position.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Swifty52 - informative and helpful.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought GM TBI on pickups was 88-92 but the TBI is dirt simple, I have installed two systems on two different Jeeps, one 258 and one 360 modifying factory harnesses, running it on the stock 4.3 and 5.7 chip and having a custom tune after datalogging and providing the data to Bill.

The GM TBI is pretty darn good at running and continuing to run even as the engine wears out. Running the scan is too easy to not stop by any parts house and having it checked.

In my opinion, the first place to start after eliminating fault codes is GROUNDS!

GM grounds through multiple points and ties ground wires together in the harness so there is redundancy but your truck is old and has a lot of miles. Locating and cleaning the connections on the block may solve the problem and costs nothing before you start throwing parts at it.

And there are a crap ton of wires and grounds in an LS harness too, and I am NOT and electrician <grin>

[Linked Image]

Is it a miss or running rough?

Tom mentioned the IAC, since the throttle body blades are closed the IAC allows air to bypass and the computer controls idle.

If the issue occurs at idle only it may be the IAC has gone wacky.

It's also possible one or both injectors are leaking, loading up at low rpm but smoothing out as rpms increase.

Vacuum leaks are also an issue that confuses the ECM.

Dave

R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Plugs seem to have fixed it.
Took it for a ten mile spin after changing yesterday.
No miss/jerk/whiplash at any speed/RPM, it's just completely gone.
Thanks for all of the info.

FJB & FJT
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.