Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by powdr
No Howa's for me! powdr

How come Powdr?

I'm loving the ones I have...

I'm curious as well. They are an "honest", quality rifle with no plastic or MIMed action parts (except the follower, which is easily replaced), and most of the folks that bombed Pearl Harbor and raped Nanking are dead.

That said, it seems to be turning into a mostly Ruger operation around here; 77s and one Number 1. I can't seem to get interested in cheap rifles, just good ones at bargain prices, like the Number 1V I got from Darrik for $879 (last Whittaker plug, I swear!).

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Granddaughter took mine, she got her’s for free. I’ve bought two, but only have one. I’m trying to figure that out.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
powdr,

Since you just want to play with a 6.5 Creedmoor to see if you like it, I'd go with the Ruger American Predator. I've owned several Creedmoors, and due to my job played with a couple of others. The most accurate of the bunch has been the RAR Predator I have right now, and at $350 was also the cheapest. I threw together a handload with 140-grain Berger VLD's and the standard "accuracy" powder charge of 41.5 grains of H4350, and it's very first group at 100 yards had all 5 shots touching. The only modification I made afterward was to the trigger spring, so I could get the pull under 3 pounds, which took about 20 minutes. Have heard similar stories from others who bought 6.5 Creedmoor Predatots.

Now, of course others are going to advise you to buy something "classier," but you want to try a Creedmoor, not marry one.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It won’t be confused for classy, but the RAR (on left) does shoot well! I believe you said no threaded barrel, which the RAR has though.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The non-cataloged run of cerakoted standard weight RARs in 6.5 Creedmoor is starting to hit the market at around $450, Ruger's stock #16942.

I've owned 3 RAR-Ps in 6.5 Creedmoor and all have been good shooters. My V2 that is bedded in a McM Hunter is an all-around better fitting package for me, but it cost 3x has much as a NIB RAR-P and it will never be 3x as accurate as the RAR-Ps typically are.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Howa for me. Head and shoulders above the RAR in terms of build quality. And dozens of Howas I’ve shot or been around have all been 0.75moa or thereabouts out of the box (3 shot groups).

The Hogue stock is a little chunky yes, you could toss it for a Boyd’s and whittle to your desired shape, or go with any number of options designed for the Vanguard as a replacement. Personally I don’t find the Hogue that bad anyway.

Yes the actions are a little chunky re weight; see above comment re build quality. They are made of steel rather than having a heap of plastic parts.

Happy to be pulled up if I have this bit wrong but I am pretty sure the Howa 1500 is a copy of the Sako L579 action and a well executed one at that.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have had the RAR Predator in 6.5 CM. It was a great shooting Gun no doubt. I do like my heavy barrel Howa in 6.5 CM a lot more though. It has been more accurate, but only by a tiny bit. The Howa just feels better made. Although I’m not fond of the hogue stock the one that came on my Howa multicam is suprisingly stiff, and feels better than the RAR stock. But I’ve seen a lot of great groups posted by cheaper 6.5 CM’s, and apparently it’s rare to get any of them that don’t shoot good.

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Guys, I just don't like the Howas. It's just one of those personal quirks. Their heavy, I hate the stock, and I detest the bolt shroud they use. Looks like a veterinarian dart gun. Looks like I'll just get a Ruger, buy a box of shells and take her for a test drive. If I don't find love I'll divorce her. powdr

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Guys, I just don't like the Howas. It's just one of those personal quirks. Their heavy, I hate the stock, and I detest the bolt shroud they use. Looks like a veterinarian dart gun. Looks like I'll just get a Ruger, buy a box of shells and take her for a test drive. If I don't find love I'll divorce her. powdr

Me too. And for the cheap price, I doubt any of them will outshoot the RAR Predator. That's the one in 6.5 CM I've decided on. I'm super impressed so far with my RAR in 7.62 X 39. Shoots easily under an inch at 100 yards with the cheap Russian HP ammo

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That's okay. You're allowed a quirk or two so long as you don't make a habit of it. I'm currently without any Howas or Howa-like objects myself, though not because I don't like them. Good luck with your Ruger. I was thinking about one of those chambered for the Other Creedmoor myself for a bit.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There's a Remington take off barrel on ebay as we speak, you could buy that, screw it on, and if you didn't like it take it off, sell it, and put your old barrel back on the 722. I can't even imagine someone not liking the creedmoor.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I highly recommend that you consider buying the Winchester/Olin 125 grain Deer Season XP factory ammo, both accurate and inexpensive, currently the least expensive 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo that I've seen as it is priced at $18.77 at our local Wal-Marts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
powdr,

Since you just want to play with a 6.5 Creedmoor to see if you like it, I'd go with the Ruger American Predator. I've owned several Creedmoors, and due to my job played with a couple of others. The most accurate of the bunch has been the RAR Predator I have right now, and at $350 was also the cheapest. I threw together a handload with 140-grain Berger VLD's and the standard "accuracy" powder charge of 41.5 grains of H4350, and it's very first group at 100 yards had all 5 shots touching. The only modification I made afterward was to the trigger spring, so I could get the pull under 3 pounds, which took about 20 minutes. Have heard similar stories from others who bought 6.5 Creedmoor Predatots.

Now, of course others are going to advise you to buy something "classier," but you want to try a Creedmoor, not marry one.

+1 on the RAR Predator

My first three shot group that I ran through my RAR Predator went .278" using the 140gr Amax and 42.4 grains of H4350. Some folks on the 6.5 Creedmoor forum was using this load with success in their Predators.

It shoots the 130gr VLD's into 1/2" at 200yds.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, my Wally had three different factory loads for 6.5; and have never carried chow for my .260.

Closest local gun store that has .260 and their cheapest is near twice the price of the Winchester 125s at Wally.

It's getting close to joining the most popular big game calibers club. cool

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
MBadger, that is exactly what I was thinking last night after I posted. powdr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dick's Sporting Goods has the T/C Compass at $179 after $75 Mfg. Rebate right now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bay_Dog
Dick's Sporting Goods has the T/C Compass at $179 after $75 Mfg. Rebate right now.

Damn that's cheap and mighty tempting! I've read that those rifles shoot well. Unfortunately we don't have a Dick's here. I'd have to drive to either Dallas or Lubbock.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
That's a great deal, the Compass looks like a good rifle to me. I've been watching them on Gunbroker, but with shipping and and FFL transfer I think you'll be doing well to come in much below $250 after the rebate. $179 + tax here (8% on the non-rebate price) comes out at $199.32 if bought locally. I'll go see what my local Dick's has access to tomorrow. They've been off my radar since they dropped AR type rifles, but I'll make an exception... heh

I hope aftermarket stocks come along...

Thanks for the information!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Another vote for the Ruger American Predator. Best of the budget rifles.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
Originally Posted by Yondering
I'd choose the Ruger American over the Howa, Weatherby, or Winchester in my experience. Not sure about the Browning.

I really wanted to like the RAR best, but you can easily bend the stock with your hands, while the Winchester, Browning and Bee stocks were rigid and much stronger feeling. They all fit me better, too. I didn’t like the Howa stock all that much, but it wasn’t flimsy.

There's no doubt the RAR stock is more flexible in the forend, and benefits from some extra free float work. That flexibility doesn't seem to matter though; it's a more advanced action design that doesn't rely on a stiff stock for accuracy.

My results with the RAR Predator in 6.5 C echo what MD and TN deer hunter posted above. I recommend them based on how they shoot, not how the stock feels.

I did add a cheek piece to mine though; even with low rings the RAR stock cheek piece is too low, although the angle is right.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.