Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice! There has to be a story with that rifle............. Do tell.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Worked a logging road with my daughter and I noticed an elk butt sticking out from a pine tree. I glassed it and saw it was a small bull about 340 yards out. Found another bull bedded near him that was mostly covered up by a small pine. We snuck to a rock outcropping that was about 260 from the bulls and watched the first bull bed down with only his head and neck exposed. We couldn't see the second bull at first but I got my daughter set up with her little Ruger 7mm-08 on the bipod and planned to wait for the first bull to stand. He was content so I moved around the rocks some and found the other bull bedded about 10-15 yards below the first one but still obscured by trees. I could tell it was a bull but the rack was partially covered and any elk would have worked so I didn't even think to study it. I went back to her and planned to let her shoot the first bull and backup if necessary and then take the second bull if it presented a shot. About 15-20 minutes before dark they still weren't standing even after some cow calling so I worked around to see if I could find a better angle for a better shot opportunity for my daughter on the second bull. I left her lined up on the first bull to be safe and when I got to where I could see the second she said the first bull was on his feet and his chest was clear. With my direction she took the shot. At the shot the second bull stood up and I shot him as he was getting up. Both bulls went just a few yards and presented a follow-up shot opportunity which we took advantage of. Four shots fired and four holes later we had two bulls down within 75 yards of each other. Proud dad moment.

I felt a little guilty killing the bigger bull but it just worked out that way. I didn't actually realize he was the bigger of the two till we walked up on them.

We got horses in the next day to get them out and I am going to town to buy another freezer tomorrow smile

Attached Images
Bull 1.jpg (37.76 KB, 185 downloads)
Bull 2.jpg (30.61 KB, 158 downloads)
Shooting.jpg (42.1 KB, 133 downloads)
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'd shoot either one! Great job.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
MedRiver--great job! Getting a double with your daughter. How tough was it getting 2 bulls out?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bwinters
Very nice! There has to be a story with that rifle............. Do tell.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12187767/2/early-british-mauser

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Sako76
MedRiver--great job! Getting a double with your daughter. How tough was it getting 2 bulls out?

Thanks! It was easy. They died 700 yards from the road. Quartered them then came back with horses the next day. Not sure I will ever duplicate that again.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Got a bull opening day here in MT with my Kimber 6.5. How do I put a picture in?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have no idea. But would like to see it!

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I spent the 1st week of the season with a friend in the South central part of the state, except for Thursday, it was hot, dry and windy,.... though we saw some elk they were on private land we couldn't go on, no shots fired.
I'll be back in Mid November to hunt with my boys and will hope for better weather.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not MT, but my trip started with another group of 5 hunters that decided to camp in the same meadow. So much for getting away. It's public land, I understand, but I wouldn't camp right by someone else miles away from the trailhead. Nice fellas at least, just a different idea of solitude. To say that small area is not big enough for that many hunters is an understatement. Then, it seems the resulting deadfalls from the Spruce Bud Worm kill 15-20(?) years ago has gone into overdrive. 5+ years ago it wasn't an issue. 3-5 years ago getting through the woods was doable. Last year was tough. This year was off the charts. Not sure how I'd hold up to crawling over hundreds of deadfalls to move meat a mile or so to where a horse could get to it. Then, talking to an old guy who has also hunted the area for years, it was apparently a zoo during archery and muzzleloader. Result: lots of elk sign from about a month ago. Hiked countless miles, tried high, low, black timber, relocated to other side of ridge, saw zero bull elk, and only one cow. Time to find a new area to hunt. Glad I put in for WY preference point. But as you know, finding a place to hunt while living across the country is daunting. Already looking at maps, using GoHunt, etc.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We put in for WY PP last week. Would like to go back to Montana but gotta say my favorite elk hunt was last year in WY. And heck I only shot a cow!

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'll likely still go to CO due to family connections and the fact that we all get together for that trip. However, I may try to add a hunt in MT or WY. Not sure I even know where to begin. Read the regs I guess, then use GoHunt. I would have loved to shoot the cow I saw. Had my truck and coolers with me to bring meat home. Of course I had a bull only license.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My boys did well...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by shrapnel; 10/30/17.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
HEY , SHRAPNEL, WELCOME BACK... Boys did a fine job.. Keep us informed.. Missed your posts!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MedRiver
Worked a logging road with my daughter and I noticed an elk butt sticking out from a pine tree. I glassed it and saw it was a small bull about 340 yards out. Found another bull bedded near him that was mostly covered up by a small pine. We snuck to a rock outcropping that was about 260 from the bulls and watched the first bull bed down with only his head and neck exposed. We couldn't see the second bull at first but I got my daughter set up with her little Ruger 7mm-08 on the bipod and planned to wait for the first bull to stand. He was content so I moved around the rocks some and found the other bull bedded about 10-15 yards below the first one but still obscured by trees. I could tell it was a bull but the rack was partially covered and any elk would have worked so I didn't even think to study it. I went back to her and planned to let her shoot the first bull and backup if necessary and then take the second bull if it presented a shot. About 15-20 minutes before dark they still weren't standing even after some cow calling so I worked around to see if I could find a better angle for a better shot opportunity for my daughter on the second bull. I left her lined up on the first bull to be safe and when I got to where I could see the second she said the first bull was on his feet and his chest was clear. With my direction she took the shot. At the shot the second bull stood up and I shot him as he was getting up. Both bulls went just a few yards and presented a follow-up shot opportunity which we took advantage of. Four shots fired and four holes later we had two bulls down within 75 yards of each other. Proud dad moment.

I felt a little guilty killing the bigger bull but it just worked out that way. I didn't actually realize he was the bigger of the two till we walked up on them.

We got horses in the next day to get them out and I am going to town to buy another freezer tomorrow smile

Nice story. Cool drop tine.

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I drew an either sex tag for the prairie area south of town, excluding the CMR. After putting the sneak on a group that was too far to make out size in the pre-dawn light, I realized my hip problems are still worse than expected, so I dropped a run-of-the-mill 6x7 rather than hold out for a monster. It helped that I was just over 1 mile from a friend's place; he brought out his tractor with loader and lifted the whole thing into the pickup. It was a very large bodied bull, though; I maybe have room in the freezers for two huns!

Dale

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by MedRiver

This is "Winner Winner a big ELK dinner", haha Congrats to both

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks guys. Great memories for sure.

Looks like others are having some success too. Snow in the forecast and cold temps so hopefully my wife and son can seal the deal later this week as well. We'll see.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am sitting at home right now watching it snow hard! I am hoping my ranch manager son calls telling me the Elk are coming off the Switchback Ranch next door.I can be up there in less than an hour. Then the work starts!
I plan on hunting all the rest of the week anyway with the snow we are getting.
I wish our friend handwerk was here now!

Ken

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Couldn't find an elk for my son so went deer hunting on Saturday. Turned out ok smile

Attached Images
IMG_5323.JPG (91.8 KB, 59 downloads)
Last edited by MedRiver; 11/06/17. Reason: Photobucket sucks
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 16,251 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,922
Posts18,539,040
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.