B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by blanket
and Fuc u means get away

In both languages wink

believe me it has caused more than one conflict between contactors from Europe installing equipment in the mainland china and the folks from there

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RickyD
'Day jus' be representin'. It's what they do.

Yep. NBN. You can't take the hood out of the Bro's.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I hope they enjoy the exact same treatment the locals would get. High time behavior be remarried to consequences.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A couple of things I have learned from my time in the PRC is that you had better mind your manners and if you don't they have a way to deal with you

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Paul39
An amusing side note. In Mandarin when somebody is searching for a word or making a choice they say "neiga, neiga, neiga", neiga meaning "that". Just imagine what it sounds like to a black person. smile

It's really pronounced "knee gah" and it's startling/interesting until you learn that it's essentially a placeholder, similar to our use of "like..."

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
F u c k i n g morons.

I hope they get caned, Malaysia style.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bigfish9684
An amusing side note. In Mandarin when somebody is searching for a word or making a choice they say "neiga, neiga, neiga", neiga meaning "that". Just imagine what it sounds like to a black person. smile

It's really pronounced "knee gah" and it's startling/interesting until you learn that it's essentially a placeholder, similar to our use of "like..."
you are correct on the pronunciation and it is interjected rapid fire into the conversation over and over again, like someone saying ah here. The one speaking does not even know why they say it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Go Bruins!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably thought they could make their getaway by melting into the crowd.🤔

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Read that one of the fellows family said something like theft is no big thing.

Anywhere but there.

Believe that was his dear ol' dad - also an athlete.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
FUMB DUCKERS!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I disagree on the pronunciation. I learned it as more of a "nay" sound, at least from my teachers who were native speakers of Beijing Mandarin. There may be variations in some parts of China, but I've never heard it pronounced as in "knee", either in school or in a year and a half on Taiwan among immigrants from various parts of mainland China.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blanket
I can say without a doubt I have never seen a black person in the PRC in 6 years of spending 20% of each year there.

No kidding? I was there for a couple years and I'd say that about 5% of the foreigners I met were African. I even worked with a Kenyan the last 6 months I was there. This is southern China though - YMMV

True that. They rank the races yellow, white, black.

I think that's situational - re: Chinese vs white. I know that I was both discriminated for, and against because I'm Caucasian. "fei ren" are definitely on the bottom of the ladder though, along with Indians (dot) as both tend to have very dark skin. This is a wide ranging generalization though - as is everywhere, every individual is different.

As to the OT, well I can see the problem just "disappearing" just as easily as I can see "time to make an example". In general when it comes to crimes against individuals, it seems like the Chinese justice system acts a lot like an arbitrator. Granted my personal sample size is small, but from a cultural aspect, it seems to coincide - just settle things with as little fuss as possible. As long as you haven't embarrassed the Party.

For instance, once upon a time, after applying for and receiving a residence permit after being in China a week, we were called back in to "confess and apologize" for not registering within the 3 days mandated. Well, we'd visited family many, many times beforehand, and never bothered, nor for that matter even knowing of the regulation. So when applying we were told that it was 3 days, but here's your permits. However, once the story had gone up the chain in that particular bureau someone decided that we needed to be chastised. So we went back in, signed our written apologies and promised never, ever to do it again...

Fast forward a year or so later, after having traveling back and forth to the US a couple times. I was told by a bank official that even though there is no expiration date on the residence permit, since we had left the country, we had to reapply. This still had to be done, though none of the details of our residence had changed. So off I went to the police station, documents (literally) and hat (figuratively) in hand. I apologized up front,and received new, though identical residence permits. Zero repercussions, no need even for another formal written confession/apology... At that point, it had been MONTHS since we'd returned from overseas. For the second time...

So, what I'm saying is not to expect any consistency from the Chinese justice system. In fact, in view of the Chinese love of all things basketball, I'd expect apologies, reimbursement, and a speedy exit from China to be the eventual outcome.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Can't wait for Ball's dad to tell the ChiComs that they are bunch of racists and have to let the brothers go.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I disagree on the pronunciation. I learned it as more of a "nay" sound, at least from my teachers who were native speakers of Beijing Mandarin. There may be variations in some parts of China, but I've never heard it pronounced as in "knee", either in school or in a year and a half on Taiwan among immigrants from various parts of mainland China.

Paul

I'd agree with Paul on this. Chinese are either saying "na ge" or "nei ge", depending on where they're from, or to what extent they use the Beijing/Shanghai pronunciation. You can also expect any particular individual to use both pronunciations of that particular character, depending on context.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MickeyD
FUMB DUCKERS!

Here is what gets me everytime I hear a story like this and why I had no sympathy for the college kid that came home from North Korea almost dead:
You know they don't just tell these people "behave yourselves" and stick them on a plane. They probably had mandatory meetings where the difference in cultures was stressed to them, they were told what to do, what not to do and why.

It takes a special kind of stupid to ignore the advice of your handlers, do something that is unacceptable all over the world and get yourself locked up in a foreign land where you do not speak the language.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
And this was NOT just a faux pas - theft is a universal no-no.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I hope they get the full 10 years hard labor .

I'd like to see the white van roll up on them.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Ball kids dad said that. Ain't no big thing. He threatened to pull his kids from their high school unless the AD canned the coach. The coach got canned and the old man would coach his kids from the bleachers. He's a loudmouth that isn't happy getting his kids to an elite level in sports. There is this and more out there on this idiot.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/03/leb...-kids-family-espn-ucla-nba-warning-video

Last edited by smarquez; 11/08/17.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stupid and ridiculous - such pampered infant-athletes seem to think they are higher than the law - anywhere. That loudmouth dad may have a tough time coaching him - and making money from his endorsements - if the criminal is jailed over there for a few years.

Maybe mistaken, but I have considered Alford a classy and upright guy - and am interested in the coach's position and comment on this mess. Somehow I don't think he plans to stay at UCLA very long.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 33 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,048
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.