Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Every part on the Americans are made here.

Given the choice, I'd rather support American workers.

They are light ,accurate and they work.

They are worth every cent they cost. Both in terms of how they perform and what they put back into the US economy.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
hmm, we still hate the looks of the howa, but we'll support Ruger who stabbed us in the back on gun control...( yeah, I thought I was over it when I bought the LCP... evidently not. LOL)

Looks, do nothing much for me with guns. They are a tool. I want the best tool. If its a savage with a barrel nut and accu trigger I'm ok...

Guns that I love to look at, I can't force myself to hunt... have an engraved 94 with great wood since the late 70s, it sits in the safe never fired..... what a waste...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dick's Sporting Goods has a Rem 700 ADL, Heavy Barrel 24", Xmark Pro trigger (no accu-trigger nonsense), decent stock $479. Lot of rifle under $500.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
I'd choose the Ruger American over the Howa, Weatherby, or Winchester in my experience. Not sure about the Browning.

I really wanted to like the RAR best, but you can easily bend the stock with your hands, while the Winchester, Browning and Bee stocks were rigid and much stronger feeling. They all fit me better, too. I didn’t like the Howa stock all that much, but it wasn’t flimsy.

There's no doubt the RAR stock is more flexible in the forend, and benefits from some extra free float work. That flexibility doesn't seem to matter though; it's a more advanced action design that doesn't rely on a stiff stock for accuracy.

My results with the RAR Predator in 6.5 C echo what MD and TN deer hunter posted above. I recommend them based on how they shoot, not how the stock feels.

I did add a cheek piece to mine though; even with low rings the RAR stock cheek piece is too low, although the angle is right.

I know they shoot. I’m pretty sure all the rifles mentioned here shoot well. This seems to be the trend we’re seeing with these less-expensive rifles manufactured with modern techniques and machinery.

I have heard complaints that the RAR stock doesn’t work well with a bi-pod due to the flimsiness. No personal experience, though.

Have you tried a bi-pod on yours? Would love some feedback as whichever I end up with is likely to get a bi-pod as an accessory.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bay_Dog
Dick's Sporting Goods has the T/C Compass at $179 after $75 Mfg. Rebate right now.

I saw this and said wow, that’s a cheap centerfire. I have extra scopes laying around so I decided to give one a look. I had my mind set on a 22-250 if they didn’t have a 6.5. They had neither, just .308 and .30-06. I asked to handle one anyway as I had not previously. There no way I want one at this price after rebate. Way too unbalanced imo.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by centershot
Dick's Sporting Goods has a Rem 700 ADL, Heavy Barrel 24", Xmark Pro trigger (no accu-trigger nonsense), decent stock $479. Lot of rifle under $500.

I believe they have the 700 SPS stainless for $429 as well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My son picked up one of those Compass' in 243. He was looking for a cheap truck/ride on a snowmobile coyote gun and that is what he got. That said, he slapped an older Leupold 3x9 and fed it some Federal Blue Box 100 grainers. It shoots well and I think it will do what he wants. He also wanted a 22-250 or a Creed but all they had was a 243. How well it stands up or last remains to be seen.

Last edited by JDK; 11/06/17.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I'd choose the Ruger American over the Howa, Weatherby, or Winchester in my experience. Not sure about the Browning.

I really wanted to like the RAR best, but you can easily bend the stock with your hands, while the Winchester, Browning and Bee stocks were rigid and much stronger feeling. They all fit me better, too. I didn’t like the Howa stock all that much, but it wasn’t flimsy.

There's no doubt the RAR stock is more flexible in the forend, and benefits from some extra free float work. That flexibility doesn't seem to matter though; it's a more advanced action design that doesn't rely on a stiff stock for accuracy.

My results with the RAR Predator in 6.5 C echo what MD and TN deer hunter posted above. I recommend them based on how they shoot, not how the stock feels.

I did add a cheek piece to mine though; even with low rings the RAR stock cheek piece is too low, although the angle is right.

I know they shoot. I’m pretty sure all the rifles mentioned here shoot well. This seems to be the trend we’re seeing with these less-expensive rifles manufactured with modern techniques and machinery.

I have heard complaints that the RAR stock doesn’t work well with a bi-pod due to the flimsiness. No personal experience, though.

Have you tried a bi-pod on yours? Would love some feedback as whichever I end up with is likely to get a bi-pod as an accessory.

Yes, I shoot mine off a bipod frequently, and almost never use a front bag. It's fine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, Yonderling. It really helps getting that report from someone who actually has meaningful experience.

The RAR Predator just jumped back into my top three candidates for a new 6.5 Creedmoor rifle.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've used several RAR's with bipods, no problem. The most recent stocks are much stiffer than the originals, but even the early stocks worked fine with bipods, as long as the new owner made sure the forend was really free-floated, which sometimes meant 2 minutes work with a round rasp.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
The cheapest would be the Savage Axis out the door for $340 or maybe a little less.

Except Savage 110 (series) and the Ruger American are so darrn ugly. Give me a Ruger 77 any time.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
Yep, my Wally had three different factory loads for 6.5; and have never carried chow for my .260.

Closest local gun store that has .260 and their cheapest is near twice the price of the Winchester 125s at Wally.

It's getting close to joining the most popular big game calibers club. cool

You need to catch up..

It's already there.

My local Walmart's ammo cabinet.is liaded to the gills..
Granted this is deer country (no Elk)

12 flavors of 06
10 of .270
9 loads in .308
8 in 30-30
5 of 6.5 Creed (Including Win loads at $18 per box)
5 of.243

A couple loads each in 7mm rem mag and .300 Win mag.

No 6mm rem , 280, 7-08..ONE 25-06 load

.308 thru 243 seems to sell well.The -06 sells ok the mags and other stuff pretty slow.

The Creedmoor seems to sell well..And the local WM store has never even stocked a rifle chambered in it.

Last edited by jk16; 11/07/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Dick's Sporting Goods has the T/C Compass at $179 after $75 Mfg. Rebate right now.

I saw this and said wow, that’s a cheap centerfire. I have extra scopes laying around so I decided to give one a look. I had my mind set on a 22-250 if they didn’t have a 6.5. They had neither, just .308 and .30-06. I asked to handle one anyway as I had not previously. There no way I want one at this price after rebate. Way too unbalanced imo.

The 308 has a 20" barrel and felt really good to me. I'm temped, waiting for black friday to see what they come down to.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only thing done to mine was make sure it was floated and installed a Timney set at 1.5#.

I have no problem with the stock it is the newer version with the honeycomb design.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I highly recommend that you consider buying the Winchester/Olin 125 grain Deer Season XP factory ammo, both accurate and inexpensive, currently the least expensive 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo that I've seen as it is priced at $18.77 at our local Wal-Marts.

I’ve talked with quite a few people who have used this Winchester Deer Season XP ammo on muleys, whitetail and Pronghorn and are raving about outstanding accuracy and spectacular performance, with a very high percentage of DRTs. Some are describing real lightning bolt, Hammer of Thor type of kills.

I’ll be trying some, for sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have spent a couple of weeks playing around with a T/C Compass in 6.5 CM. For the money, especially with the rebates out there, it is a screaming deal. My example shoots factory 143gr ELD-X ammo into sub-inch groups at 200 yards. It comes with a threaded 5R rifled barrel and balances well. Shot a muley with it yesterday morning- 1 shot at 150 yards without drama. For an entry-level rifle, I came away very impressed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Picked up my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor today at my LGS. My dealer made me a heck of a deal on a open box Leupold VX-3 in 4.5 x 14 x 40 with the AO. Mounted it on some weaver style Leupold medium rings and got it bore sighted.
Unfortunately, it rained here all damn day, so I couldn't get to te Range to sight it in and see how well it shoots. cry

I bought a couple of boxes of the Hornady Whitetail ammo with the 129 gr Interlock bullet I'll hit Academy tomorrow and see if the have any of the cheaper Winchester Factory load with the 125 gr bullet. I've heard several people say that it shot real well in their 6.5 Creedmoors.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 11/09/17.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

The 308 has a 20" barrel and felt really good to me. I'm temped, waiting for black friday to see what they come down to.

I've not hit the local Dick's SG in Twin, but sounds like I need to take a look at their inventory-just for educational purposes, of course. grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I really wanted to like the RAR best, but you can easily bend the stock with your hands,

I can easily bend the stock on my $600 McMillans. Don't worry about the Ruger stock. Most traditional rifles have a recoil lug that sits inside a mortise in the stock. Having a good fit and a stiff stock is key to accuracy. The Ruger Americans don't even have a recoil lug. There are 2 metal V blocks that the action screws go through providing a secure platform. The stiffness of those stocks has absolutely nothing to do with accuracy. The stocks only purpose is to give you something to hold onto.

I paid $389 OTD for both my 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor Predators. They both are the most accurate rifles in my safe. The 6.5 shoots 1/2 MOA boringly with 143 gr ELD-X factory loads and my handloads using the same bullet.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The stock can absolutely affect accuracy when shooting a RAR.

Your comment about the McMillan's is laughable.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,291
Posts18,486,921
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.