Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Picked up my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor today at my LGS. My dealer made me a heck of a deal on a open box Leupold VX-3 in 4.5 x 14 x 40 with the AO. Mounted it on some weaver style Leupold medium rings and got it bore sighted.
Unfortunately, it rained here all damn day, so I couldn't get to te Range to sight it in and see how well it shoots. cry

I bought a couple of boxes of the Hornady Whitetail ammo with the 129 gr Interlock bullet I'll hit Academy tomorrow and see if the have any of the cheaper Winchester Factory load with the 125 gr bullet. I've heard several people say that it shot real well in their 6.5 Creedmoors.

Finally got to sight in my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Cm today and shoot some groups. I'm EXTREMELY pleased!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

First group is with the Hornady Precision Hunter Ammo with the 143 grain ELD-X bullet @ 2700 fps

Second group is with the Hornady Whitetail Ammo with the 129 grain Interlock bullet at 2850 fps.

I also shot a group with the Winchester Deer Season XP Factory Ammo with a 125 gr bullet that looks like a big ass Ballistic Tip 5 shots @ 100 yards went about 1.5" it's cheap enough I'll probably use it for a hog load at the Ranch.
All three loads shot to the same point of aim at 100 yards. That never happens for me!!!

And I think I could have shot much better if the RUGER American trigger didn't suck so bad! How hard are they to ajust or lighten the pull???
Might have to break down and buy a Timney trigger for this one. grin

Last edited by chlinstructor; 11/14/17.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

And I think I could have shot much better if the RUGER American trigger didn't suck so bad! How hard are they to ajust or lighten the pull???
Might have to break down and buy a Timney trigger for this one. grin

They are not hard to improve, if you're handy with that sort of thing. If you're not, well, just buy a Timney. smile

I tweaked my RAR trigger and ended up with a very crisp 2 lb pull with no unnecessary overtravel. That involved collapsing a couple coils on the trigger spring, polishing the sear surfaces (with a stone, not a Dremel or buffing wheel!), and IIRC adding an overtravel adjustment screw. Although that may have been a sear engagement adjustment screw, I'd have to take it apart to look now, it's been a couple years. It was less than an hours work from start to finish anyway.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prm
It won’t be confused for classy, but the RAR (on left) does shoot well! I believe you said no threaded barrel, which the RAR has though.

[Linked Image]

Details on the RAR paint job, looks nice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Howa 1500 is up to $459 at Sportsmans Warehouse now. Was $379 for a long time, and went to $329 for a week before Christmas, can't remember which week. I know the OP said he didn't like Howa, just passing on the update.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I got my T3X for $559. If I had to go with less expense than that, I would buy a Ruger American Rifle.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
Originally Posted by powdr
I've considered re-barreling a Rem722 to 6.5 Creedmoor but w/ the factory ammo being so good I was thinking last night about just buying one and playing w/it for a while. What's some of the entry level guns that don't cost an arm and a leg. No threaded barrel, no can, no short barrels. powdr

Winchester XPR
Browning AB3
Ruger American
Various Savage models
Howa Gameking
Weatherby Vanguard
TC Venture
Mossberg Patriot
Remington 700 SPS

I recently checked out all of these looking for a Creedmoor truck gun. The most impressive to my eye, in order:

Winchester XPR
Browning AB3
Weatherby Vanguard
Howa Gameking

I’d be happy with any of these four, but am leaning toward the Winchester, which just felt better at my shoulder than the rest.

You can grab a Tikka T3X for around $200.00 more than the best of the above. I thought about it, but that Winchester XPR seems to be a real shooter so I’ll spend the difference on better glass.

Please let us know how you like the XPR. I’ve heard some real polar opposite reviews of this rifle.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
I got my T3X for $559. If I had to go with less expense than that, I would buy a Ruger American Rifle.

thats a screaming deal on the Tikka. I don't imagine too many would buy the Howa if they could get the Tikka for $100 more.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK

thats a screaming deal on the Tikka. I don't imagine too many would buy the Howa if they could get the Tikka for $100 more.

Sycamore

Ordered it from Whittaker Guns in December.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

271 members (280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 35 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,235
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.