Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thinking of buying one of these for my October elk hunts. Opinions?

My main concern is with the 2.5" thick pad. I'm a side sleeper.

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m a side sleeper, too, and it works great for me. Adjust inflation level as needed.

O
O
I'm about 165 lbs, 5'10".

I picked up an XTherm at the REI Garage sale after I returned from a backpack deer/elk hunt last month. I've been using an uninsulated Klymit that I've found to be comfortable side sleeping (usually how I sleep), but my back was getting cold at 20-30 degrees until I added a RidgeRest under it after packing out one of our animals. I kind of prefer the baffled shape of the Klymit to the flat XTherm, but I didn't notice a huge difference in comfort. I don't usually have issues being comfortable on inflatable pads though as long as I let some air out of them.

I've only slept on it once so far. It was an overnight low of around 27F. It's every bit as warm as my lighter self-inflating pads that I typically use during the winter. I'm pretty comfortable trusting TAR's R-value ratings.

It feels about the same to me padding-wise as an XLite if you happen to know anyone with one of those. I think they both quiet down some after they've been used BTW. Kind of like Tyvek.

Last edited by owenst7; 11/09/17.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I used a NeoAir this year (not Xtherm). As far as comfort, no problems. Seemed to insulate reasonably well. It does pack small and light. On the bad side, it's noisy and was very slippery with my sleeping bag. I had my tent on a light slope one night and was constantly sliding off. Maybe place a light foam pad on top? The width, well I wouldn't say it's a problem, but you'll be constantly reminded you chose the minimalist route. I may just use it again next year, but I'll probably at least see what else is out there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Been using the Neoair since they first came out something like 8? years ago. One of the top 5 innovations to come out in the last ten years IMO.

For hunting, rather than use an Xtherm, I use an "original" Neoair (size Large) with a 1/4" Evazote ON TOP in colder weather. I've found this comfortable down into the teens. Were I out in colder I'd use the Xthrem and the 1/4 Evazote. If my old Neoair ever craps-out I'll probably replace it with the Xtherm in size Large.

Summer backpacking I use a Neoair X-Lite in size Regular, and no CC pad.

PS, the "Neoair Noise" eventually diminishes with use... still, can't say it ever bothered me.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the Therm-a-Rest Neoair Camper Sleeping Pad in size large. The first time I used it, I was taking a break from inflating it (PITA) with a "high capacity" small/portable bicycle pump and an adaptor I fashioned, and a gust of wind picked it up and transported it right into the middle of a cactus patch, which resulted in hundreds of pinholes and an utterly useless non-inflatable Therm-a-Rest.

Since getting a new one and using it many times, I can say that it's a reasonably comfortable 3" sleeping pad, for side sleepers, but certainly not the best. They are a definitely a PITA to inflate/deflate and pack up. They are fragile, as illustrated by my cactus mishap, and the 29.9 oz weight for the large, combined with the weight of the mini portable bicycle pump and adaptor I fashioned, which is not huge by any means, but it's not inconsequential either.

Standard thin camping foam pads don't cut it for me. I'm looking into other options which include open and closed cell foam pads in the 2" - 3" thickness range, which I find to be an order of magnitude more comfortable and far less fragile. Not sure about the weight yet, but it certainly won't be much more than my Therm-a-Rest and associated inflation contraptions.

The reason an inflation device of some sort is necessary, in my estimation, is that you want to avoid any moisture or bacteria your breath may introduce into the mattress, which may result in mold.

Last edited by High_Noon; 11/11/17.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
O
O
Originally Posted by High_Noon
I have the Therm-a-Rest Neoair Camper Sleeping Pad in size large. The first time I used it, I was taking a break from inflating it (PITA) with a "high capacity" small/portable bicycle pump and an adaptor I fashioned, and a gust of wind picked it up and transported it right into the middle of a cactus patch, which resulted in hundreds of pinholes and an utterly useless non-inflatable Therm-a-Rest.

Since getting a new one and using it many times, I can say that it's a reasonably comfortable 3" sleeping pad, for side sleepers, but certainly not the best. They are a definitely a PITA to inflate/deflate and pack up. They are fragile, as illustrated by my cactus mishap, and the 29.9 oz weight for the large, combined with the weight of the mini portable bicycle pump and adaptor I fashioned, which is not huge by any means, but it's not inconsequential either.

Standard thin camping foam pads don't cut it for me. I'm looking into other options which include open and closed cell foam pads in the 2" - 3" thickness range, which I find to be an order of magnitude more comfortable and far less fragile. Not sure about the weight yet, but it certainly won't be much more than my Therm-a-Rest and associated inflation contraptions.

The reason an inflation device of some sort is necessary, in my estimation, is that you want to avoid any moisture or bacteria your breath may introduce into the mattress, which may result in mold.

The XTherm only weighs 15 ounces. A large is only 20 ounces. The Therm-A-Rest electric inflator is only 2.3 ounces. The pump sack that comes with the XTherm is only like 1.5 ounces.

The Therm-A-Rest literature says all over it to inflate their mats with your breath. It does say not to use a high pressure, low volume pump (like a bicycle pump), which would take forever due to the low volume. I've got mats from the 80s that have always been inflated that way and have no mold in them.

A Ridgerest is 5/8" thick and weighs 15 ounces. A 2" CCF mat would weigh almost four pounds. It'd be horrendous to pack anywhere also, since CCF doesn't compress at all. The standard 5/8" Ridgerest is enough of a pain to carry as it is.

Last edited by owenst7; 11/12/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
owenst7: duly noted.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never seen an air mattress with mold in it but if you're concerned, gargle with any adult beverage before inflating the mattress. But don't smoke in bed.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You might look at these. http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/downmat-7-m. Either the 7 or 9.They are suppose to be warmer.

Both the Therm-A- RestNeoair XlTT and XTherm come in a wider version that is 25"vs 20 for" a little bit more money

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Downmat 7 and 9 are warmer than the XTherm. I have all 3. But the XTherm is the way to go for backpacking, as it's significantly lighter and more compact. The Downmats come out when I'm truck hunting, or sleeping within a few miles of the road, though.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The Downmat 7 and 9 are warmer than the XTherm. I have all 3. But the XTherm is the way to go for backpacking, as it's significantly lighter and more compact. The Downmats come out when I'm truck hunting, or sleeping within a few miles of the road, though.

Assuming you were packing the gear in on a mule,which would you chose. I am no longer capable of packing those big heavy loads so for next year ,I am looking to convert to all ultra light back packing gear, but put it on one of my mules

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/13/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Downmat 9, for sure.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting. I went with the exped down UL. They only weigh a couple ounces more than the NeoAir but are thicker and warmer. My elk hunts tend to. E within 5 miles of the road. I'm hoping a couple ounces won't matter........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bwinters
Interesting. I went with the exped down UL. They only weigh a couple ounces more than the NeoAir but are thicker and warmer. My elk hunts tend to. E within 5 miles of the road. I'm hoping a couple ounces won't matter........

I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. My Exped mats are not only warmer, but more comfortable than my XTherm. Size and weight are the only down side, compared to the NeoAir. IMO, the XTherm is the best compromise between insulation, size, weight, durability, and price for a general backpacking sleeping mat. If you know that you won't be hauling it up mountains after sheep or goat, I'd be pretty content with the DM 7 as my all-arounder. And if you'll have mules to do the hauling for you, the DM 9 is the ultimate in comfort and warmth...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love my Xtherm. It has made sleeping in the out-of-doors much more comfortable for me. I love it for winter camping, especially. I don't know what the R-value is for that mat, but it is got to be up there. Well worth the extra weight and set up hassle IMO.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The Downmat 9, for sure.

I would have said the same thing a few months ago, but my Exped started popping apart at the baffles and they didn't seem real concerned that I consider the failure a defect and should be warrantied.

I'm down to running a heavily patched original NeoAir (user error/stupidity), but will be purchasing a XTherm Max or two soon.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 40-50 nights thus far on my XTherm- summer through winter ( dead of winter I add a thin ccf pad); it's light enough that I sold my regular neoairs that I was using for summer trips

Probably one of my favorite pieces of kit

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like my XTherm.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tried an xtherm but didn't like the tapered design. The All season is my sweet spot. I go large if weight isn't a concern, regular if it is.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've got the Exped, I love it!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
I tried an xtherm but didn't like the tapered design. The All season is my sweet spot. I go large if weight isn't a concern, regular if it is.

The Xtherm MAX is rectangular...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I settled into the All Season before the Max came along. Haven't seen a good enough reason to change what I'm doing.

Last edited by Biathlonman; 01/04/18.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have the Xtherm and its warmth is incredible.

What I don't like about it is I am a side sleeper and like to curl up into a ball. For this, the regular Xtherms are too narrow for me. When I had looked into the wide/Max Xtherms last year, they were north of $220.

What I got instead is the Exped Synmat Winterlite in size "M Wide" that is very comparable to the Xtherm max line in terms of weight, width and R value but costs $100 less.

http://sectionhiker.com/exped-synmat-winterlite-sleeping-pad-review/

The Exped is actually wider than the Max by an inch. The extra width from a regular, 20" pad does not seem like much on paper but it is a huge difference for me when in actual use - no longer feeling like I am sleeping on a 2x4.

Unfortunately, the Exped’s prices have gone up and are more like the Xtherm Max now.

Last edited by alukban; 01/06/18.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
that ( exped) does look like an interesting pad....

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I used the Exped down to only 21° F last weekend.

Although I was not cold, it is not as “actively warm” as the Xtherm where the Xtherms feel like they are actually “producing” heat and throwing it at you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 57 invisible), 3,093 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,896
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.