-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rifle looneys often want to be seen as "special" and the .270WCF has made so much sense for so long that it has become just too vanilla for many. It's not a shooter's cartridge due to twist rate and bore/case capacity ratio, so it has no military tie-in or target-shooting pedigree. It appears to have been designed just to be a flat-shooting and mild-recoiling medium-game chambering and it does its intended job boringly well. Kind of like a Buck 110.

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Over the years I have owned a couple .270's.. Maybe 4 or 5 now that I think about it.. Killed quite a bit of game with the 721 I had, but just used Factory Fed. 130's.. Probably 6 years ago I bought a custom barreled .270 on a 700 action.. It was out of an estate sale... The barrel is 26" long and about a #5.. My favorite.. I have used it a bit every fall since then.. Now I often used it in the off season for coyotes, or the odd chance at a wolf.. For years the .25-06 was my choice for a middle ground rifle.. Some varmints and some big game.. Right now I could easily go with the .270 or the .25-06.. Lucky for me I don't have to choose one or the other.. But for most guys who just hunt , or do some reloading for average hunting, it is probably one of the best choices a guy can make...

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JPro
Rifle looneys often want to be seen as "special" and the .270WCF has made so much sense for so long that it has become just too vanilla for many. It's not a shooter's cartridge due to twist rate and bore/case capacity ratio, so it has no military tie-in or target-shooting pedigree. It appears to have been designed just to be a flat-shooting and mild-recoiling medium-game chambering and it does its intended job boringly well. Kind of like a Buck 110.

Add a VXII 3x9 in dual dovetails to that pile as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I nearly went the 3-9x40 VXII route instead of the Buck 110, so there you go.....

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
People with egos bigger then their "common sense containers" are always trying to seem as if they are special. We teach the lesson to young children in the lesson of "the Emperors New Cloths". But those with less scruples than wisdom will always try to be special.

Bear with me for a few minutes and follow along.

We see it with liberals all the time. The most successful form of government in the history of the earth for building an economy and providing opportunity to the common man and the middle class is inculcated into the US constitution, but Liberals want to be special. So rather than teach what is fine, what works, and why it works, and rather than teach the history of governments that lead up to the US Constitution they are going to give us "something new and improved" which is ALWAYS something old and horrible.

We want to blame "the libs' but the real reason for such insanity is the sin of pride.

People want to be "special'. If truth is well established and well known the only way to have "something new" is to lie about it. It's a war of truth against lies and it has been since the fall of Adam. Wanting to be "special" is largely a matter of evil pride. Not self respect mind you, but pride based on nothing but arrogance.

2+2 =4. Always has.
When libs got into the school systems and gave us "new math" that said the total is not important if the conclusion was arrived at "correctly".
But the meaning of "Correct" is now something the libs (and those with ego and pride larger than wisdom) tell all who will listen to them that THEY are the ones that get to define.

It was "mathematically correct" with "new math" and now it's "politically correct", so now the fools of the world get to say you can choose your gender, your truths, your history and your facts. The saddest part is that the fool that follows the fool is lower then the 1st fool and not as bright. I guess that makes them a "sub-fool" ???
See, you can have our own opinion but you can't have your own facts and your own truth. Truth exists no matter what your opinion is and your life or death doesn't change what is factual, and doesn't change anything that happened before you existed.

When something is well known, well established, and has an outstanding track record of success, the "wise in their own eyes" can't just teach it, because they are not the center of attention, and such teaching doesn't feed their ego. They can't be special if they do that. So they lie.
Or in some cases tell only a small part of the truth, not lying outright, but trying to gain the same things as if they were lying outright, because the whole truth would not sell.

They come up with foolishness that is packages in a new wrapper, and try to sell it to those that are foolish enough to believe it.

We see it in so-called-education, in law, in entertainment and because it's basic to the nature of people, we see it in the gun culture too.

The 2nd reason you see it so much is that if someone can convince you you NEED to have some "improvement" of, lets say 6%, or your just not one of the enlightened ones, and therefore not special, those that don't think it through will climb on the band wagon and want to be "special"----- which is very profitable to those selling the product or the propaganda.

To the salesman, The record doesn't matter. the truth doesn't matter, the facts are used to try to get people to agree, and those facts that temper the decision or that show the other side of the coin (like recoil, barrel life, weight, and size) are never addressed with honest comparisons.

You can't be "special" unless you agree with the "experts" who are being paid to sell you an idea.

Lets look at truth for one quick lesson to illustrate.

150 grain bullet with a BC of about .480 at 2900 FPS to 3000 FPS depending on pressure and barrel length. Zero at 200 yards. 600 yard drop is 5.5 feet. 66 inches.
Had that since 1925. Not new. "Old news". We all know this.

OK...."new and improved"......BC of .600 with a 140 grain bullet at 2700 FPS . 200 yard zero. Same barrel length and same pressure. 600 yard drop of 74" 6 feet 2 inches. New and improved..... How? 74" is a larger drop then 66". Emotional responces don't change that.

Or how about this one

Same 150 grain bullet as above but at 3200 FPS. With a BC of .480 and a 200 yd zero. 56.5 inch drop. Nearly 1 food flatter than the 1st example. It's "better"...............or is it?

If you have to hold 4.5 feet over the center of the target please tell me how holding 5.5 feet over is "worse".
Both have to be held. Both have to be held a KNOWN amount.

The faster bullet will be slightly less effected by wind. That's true. It's a fact.

But it's still effected. So you still have to hold for wind. Why would a hold of X be "better" than a hold of Y, if Y was 5" more than X? You still have to hold!

So "better" is not the same as different.

After a bullet is past a point blank range at any given target, hold overs and hold offs are the work of the shooter, not the gun, and not the shell case. So we are told "better" = faster. I am not convinced it is. I am not convinced it's not either. I am convinced it's different a small amount. And I am convinced that the ability to shoot a lot of rounds (and be able to afford that shooting) is Vital to good marksmanship.

So why is the 270 "hated?

#1 It's not by those that know how well it works. That's a VERY VERY large number of hunters all over the world. Doesn't sound like hate to me.

#2 It's still the top caliber ordered in high grade custom rifles by the records of many gunsmiths (myself included) Doesn't sound like hate to me.

#3 It still is in the top 7 most popular calibers for reloading die sales according to RCBS, Lee, Hornady and Redding. Doesn't sound like hate to me.

#4 It's still in the top 6 calibers for ammo sales according to Remington, Winchester, Hornady and Federal. Doesn't sound like hate to me.

Those that ignore these facts are the very ones I was writing about above. They NEED to be believed because they can't stand on the facts themselves, and the truth is not on their side, so they resort to lies, 1/2 truths, and covering of information they don't like.
Like libs they want to have "their own truths" and their opinions are more important than the truth to them, so they resort to covering up information or just using insults. Their "own truths" are as well grounded as the emotional responses of the libs choosing to be a different gender, a different race, and disliking history they come up with a different story based in lies to help them feel good about themselves.

And lastly and most important......why would you care if your choice of caliber is not the same as someone else choice?

Only (A) insecure men need you to agree with them, and they try to control your choice with manipulations. They have to be one of the heard but they feel a need to be is some control of that heard.

Or (B) those that are paid to try to get you to buy something.

I like the 270 but I don't use it much anymore. I like older and often slower rounds because I enjoy them, and the 270 has become too easy for me in many cases, so I leave it at home. The ones I love these days seldom shoot bullets over 2400 FPS and some, like my flintlocks, only shoot round balls at only 1800 FPS.

If you don't like my choices I am OK with you not liking them. You need not use them.

I like killing game with my old fashion guns and I like killing them with revolvers with iron sights. All the game I have shot with my revolvers is still dead and I have never lost a single one I have shot, and I have never needed more than one shot on any game animal I have killed with revolvers except one deer I shot 2 times with a 45.

Is my choice "better" than yours? Or is it worse?

It is different then most. So if I don't go along with the heard, am I better------- or worse?

See..the questions are silly and misdirected. We are asking the wrong question here. No answer to those questions is going to help you in any way.

The question is not "why is caliber X hated?

The real question should be "IS caliber X hated?"

If it is, then ask why.

In the case of the 270, it's not.

My round ball flintlocks are probably "hated" more than most because a round ball doesn't fly through air as well as ANY bullet does. But do I care? No. I like it. It's mine so I am the only one on earth that needs to like it.

If you like a 270 get one.
If you like something else get that. Get anything you want.

Free men buy what they want.
Slaves get what they are allowed.
Fools get what they are told they need to want.

Last edited by szihn; 11/17/17.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I nearly went the 3-9x40 VXII route instead of the Buck 110, so there you go.....

My 110 has a titanium grip so it's extra special

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ah, like a stainless 270 in a graphite stock.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had .270's since 1962. I still have my dads pre-64 Win .270 and a Ruger M77 in .270. Wont ever get rid of either. Have done everything I ever wanted them to do
in over 40 years of hunting. I have also picked up a 6.5mm Creedmoor, Savage. Always liked the 6.5mm's as well. I think these 3 rifles will do me until I'm dust
and blowing in the wind. The .270 is definitely not without merit. Ask Jack O'Connor.

"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." Ten Bears
NRA Benefactor LIfe Member
USCG Veteran
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The 270 is too easy to be very interesting to rifle loonies.

Good shooting rifles are common. Good shooting factory ammo is inexpensive, relatively speaking, and common everywhere that people hunt medium game in the U.S.

It is one of the nine CF cartridges that can be found almost everywhere that factory made hunting ammo is sold in the U.S.; 223, 22-250, 243, 270, 7mm RM, 30-30, 308, 30-06, and 300 WM.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by szihn
People with egos bigger then their "common sense containers" are always trying to seem as if they are special. We teach the lesson to young children in the lesson of "the Emperors New Cloths". But those with less scruples than wisdom will always try to be special.

Bear with me for a few minutes and follow along.

We see it with liberals all the time. The most successful form of government in the history of the earth for building an economy and providing opportunity to the common man and the middle class is inculcated into the US constitution, but Liberals want to be special. So rather than teach what is fine, what works, and why it works, and rather than teach the history of governments that lead up to the US Constitution they are going to give us "something new and improved" which is ALWAYS something old and horrible.

We want to blame "the libs' but the real reason for such insanity is the sin of pride. W

People want to be "special'. If truth is well established and well known the only way to have "something new" is to lie about it. It's a war of truth against lies and it has been since the fall of Adam. Wanting to be "special" is largely a matter of evil pride. Not self respect mind you, but pride based on nothing but arrogance.

2+2 =4. Always has.
When libs got into the school systems and gave us "new math" that said the total is not important if the conclusion was arrived at "correctly".
But the meaning of "Correct" is now something the libs (and those with ego and pride larger than wisdom) tell all who will listen to them that THEY are the ones that get to define.

It was "mathematically correct" with "new math" and now it's "politically correct", so now the fools of the world get to say you can choose your gender, your truths, your history and your facts. The saddest part is that the fool that follows the fool is lower then the 1st fool and not as bright. I guess that makes them a "sub-fool" ???
See, you can have our own opinion but you can't have your own facts and your own truth. Truth exists no matter what your opinion is and your life or death doesn't change what is factual, and doesn't change anything that happened before you existed.

When something is well known, well established, and has an outstanding track record of success, the "wise in their own eyes" can't just teach it, because they are not the center of attention, and such teaching doesn't feed their ego. They can't be special if they do that. So they lie.
Or in some cases tell only a small part of the truth, not lying outright, but trying to gain the same things as if they were lying outright, because the whole truth would not sell.

They come up with foolishness that is packages in a new wrapper, and try to sell it to those that are foolish enough to believe it.

We see it in so-called-education, in law, in entertainment and because it's basic to the nature of people, we see it in the gun culture too.

The 2nd reason you see it so much is that if someone can convince you you NEED to have some "improvement" of, lets say 6%, or your just not one of the enlightened ones, and therefore not special, those that don't think it through will climb on the band wagon and want to be "special"----- which is very profitable to those selling the product or the propaganda.

To the salesman, The record doesn't matter. the truth doesn't matter, the facts are used to try to get people to agree, and those facts that temper the decision or that show the other side of the coin (like recoil, barrel life, weight, and size) are never addressed with honest comparisons.

You can't be "special" unless you agree with the "experts" who are being paid to sell you an idea.

Lets look at truth for one quick lesson to illustrate.

150 grain bullet with a BC of about .480 at 2900 FPS to 3000 FPS depending on pressure and barrel length. Zero at 200 yards. 600 yard drop is 5.5 feet. 66 inches.
Had that since 1925. Not new. "Old news". We all know this.

OK...."new and improved"......BC of .600 with a 140 grain bullet at 2700 FPS . 200 yard zero. Same barrel length and same pressure. 600 yard drop of 74" 6 feet 2 inches. New and improved..... How? 74" is a larger drop then 66". Emotional responces don't change that.

Or how about this one

Same 150 grain bullet as above but at 3200 FPS. With a BC of .480 and a 200 yd zero. 56.5 inch drop. Nearly 1 food flatter than the 1st example. It's "better"...............or is it?

If you have to hold 4.5 feet over the center of the target please tell me how holding 5.5 feet over is "worse".
Both have to be held. Both have to be held a KNOWN amount.

The faster bullet will be slightly less effected by wind. That's true. It's a fact.

But it's still effected. So you still have to hold for wind. Why would a hold of X be "better" than a hold of Y, if Y was 5" more than X? You still have to hold!

So "better" is not the same as different.

After a bullet is past a point blank range at any given target, hold overs and hold offs are the work of the shooter, not the gun, and not the shell case. So we are told "better" = faster. I am not convinced it is. I am not convinced it's not either. I am convinced it's different a small amount. And I am convinced that the ability to shoot a lot of rounds (and be able to afford that shooting) is Vital to good marksmanship.

So why is the 270 "hated?

#1 It's not by those that know how well it works. That's a VERY VERY large number of hunters all over the world. Doesn't sound like hate to me.

#2 It's still the top caliber ordered in high grade custom rifles by the records of many gunsmiths (myself included) Doesn't sound like hate to me.

#3 It still is in the top 7 most popular calibers for reloading die sales according to RCBS, Lee, Hornady and Redding. Doesn't sound like hate to me.

#4 It's still in the top 6 calibers for ammo sales according to Remington, Winchester, Hornady and Federal. Doesn't sound like hate to me.

Those that ignore these facts are the very ones I was writing about above. They NEED to be believed because they can't stand on the facts themselves, and the truth is not on their side, so they resort to lies, 1/2 truths, and covering of information they don't like.
Like libs they want to have "their own truths" and their opinions are more important than the truth to them, so they resort to covering up information or just using insults. Their "own truths" are as well grounded as the emotional responses of the libs choosing to be a different gender, a different race, and disliking history they come up with a different story based in lies to help them feel good about themselves.

And lastly and most important......why would you care if your choice of caliber is not the same as someone else choice?

Only (A) insecure men need you to agree with them, and they try to control your choice with manipulations. They have to be one of the heard but they feel a need to be is some control of that heard.

Or (B) those that are paid to try to get you to buy something.

I like the 270 but I don't use it much anymore. I like older and often slower rounds because I enjoy them, and the 270 has become too easy for me in many cases, so I leave it at home. The ones I love these days seldom shoot bullets over 2400 FPS and some, like my flintlocks, only shoot round balls at only 1800 FPS.

If you don't like my choices I am OK with you not liking them. You need not use them.

I like killing game with my old fashion guns and I like killing them with revolvers with iron sights. All the game I have shot with my revolvers is still dead and I have never lost a single one I have shot, and I have never needed more than one shot on any game animal I have killed with revolvers except one deer I shot 2 times with a 45.

Is my choice "better" than yours? Or is it worse?

It is different then most. So if I don't go along with the heard, am I better------- or worse?

See..the questions are silly and misdirected. We are asking the wrong question here. No answer to those questions is going to help you in any way.

The question is not "why is caliber X hated?

The real question should be "IS caliber X hated?"

If it is, then ask why.

In the case of the 270, it's not.

My round ball flintlocks are probably "hated" more than most because a round ball doesn't fly through air as well as ANY bullet does. But do I care? No. I like it. It's mine so I am the only one on earth that needs to like it.

If you like a 270 get one.
If you like something else get that. Get anything you want.

Free men buy what they want.
Slaves get what they are allowed.
Fools get what they are told they need to want.

sthis is an unbelievable good explanation of well done...
Beware of the man with one gun, he prob knows how to use it.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
My 270 was put in the safe and then rebarreled to 35 Whelen when I started using my 7x57 for most things. However it was a heavy rifle for a 270 and the 7x57 was a short barreled rifle perfect for box stands. My most recent 270 isn't that heavy and shoots just fine. Now that I no longer have a lease in Texas and I will be sneaking around the west more often and the 270 is back on the first row again. A 140 grain Nosler Partition at somewhere around 3000 fps is a pretty capable combo.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
270 Win is timeless.......From when introduced till now.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'm a "true 7mm believer" which is why my 270 gets the nod and go-ahead on every hunt I haven't been on in a few seasons. I run Hornady 140 gr BTSP and have for decades as my compromise loading for elk and deer. It just works and it has got the job done for 30+ years, for me.

Shooter's Edge
FFL in Western CO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But a 140 gr .486BC @ 2,950 sucks hind tit. Funny you mention that load because when I decided to get rid of everything except my 270, I thought that'd be a good one.

Maybe I was right for once.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Sooooooo.......

If a 270 Win is “gay,” what does that make a 270 WSM and a 270 Weatherby?

(Need to know so I know how “on fire” I am)

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by tvknight4150
Sooooooo.......

If a 270 Win is “gay,” what does that make a 270 WSM and a 270 Weatherby?

(Need to know so I know how “on fire” I am)

The WSM is still in the closet...but a Weatherby, that's full blown flaming right there!!!

Shooter's Edge
FFL in Western CO
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by 16bore
But a 140 gr .486BC @ 2,950 sucks hind tit. Funny you mention that load because when I decided to get rid of everything except my 270, I thought that'd be a good one.

Maybe I was right for once.

That's what I say every time I bite into an elk or deer steak,..."Man this hind tit is good!"

Shooter's Edge
FFL in Western CO
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Been using mine a lot lately. Pigs, whitetail and an axis so far this year.
Bob

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
My Model Seventy .270, with a Leupold 3-9X is about as boring as you can get, this side of a .30/06, and yet, aside from a little Marlin 336 .30/30, it's the only "game rifle" I have now. It's killed a lot of deer for me.

Never needed a second shot, either

. SIerra 130s/H4831-SC. Really, really boring stuff.

I call it "Old Death", I point it at stuff, and it dies.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 16bore

Add a VXII 3x9 in dual dovetails to that pile as well.

Missing the VXII but a fancy 110 should make up for it.....

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (06hunter59, 1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 222Sako, 1minute, 70 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,564
Posts18,473,207
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.