Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Goat Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
What is out there in the same price range as the VX2 & VX3 and can has comparable optic clarity and maintains zero in hard use What would you recommend? I am willing to listen and learn. I really don't look at anything else since Leupold has served me so well. I am in the market for a 1-6x or 2-7x for a lightweight AR15. I'm also about to pick up another medium range deer killer. That one would be used from 10 yards to 250 yards. I would like to know what else is out there that's as rugged as loopy and has as good or better tracking and MUST maintain zero. Thanks for your input. I am really serious about knowing what is out there in the $600 or less range. I hate it when it looks like you have a scope that just happened to have a rifle on it so I like smaller dimensional scopes. Nor do I need more than 10-12x magnification. I have used the Leupold Vari-X lII 2.5-8X 36mm scopes for over 30years and have been well served by them. I have around a dozen Leupolds from the VX 1 1-4x20mm to a VX 3 4.5-14x. I mostly hunt in the woods along creek bottoms or the edges of thickets but will occasionally hunt clearcuts or pipe line right of ways. Even when I hunt more open areas I would likely not shoot more than 350 yards. The 257Roberts I'm expecting to get would likely never used beyond 250yards. I am NOT interested bashing ANY brand I just want some other opinions about what's out there. I would prefer personal experience over manufacturer's claims.

"I know you believe that you understand what you think that I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
( A quote of my Father)
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Goat
I am NOT interested bashing ANY brand I just want some other opinions about what's out there. I would prefer personal experience over manufacturer's claims.

Not sure that will happen...lol. But hope it does! Good opportunity for an informative discussion.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked up 2x zeiss duralyt a few years back 1.5-5x36 and a 2-8x42 both with 30mm tube, they area little heavy but they have been bulletproof so far. I think they retailed for 700-800ish but I got one on closeout in your budget. deals can be had this time of year.

I think Leica and Swarovski have some deals right now for just a little over your budget.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I'll be watching this one, Goat. I, too, favor a svelte scope when possible. These days it seems scopes getting bigger & more busy.

The FXII 4x33 or 6x36 would be about ideal for you, size-wise, if you wanted to stick with Leupold. I can't recall anyone ever knocking the zero-holding bona fides of those 2 scopes.

There was recently a thread trashing the Weaver K6's for eye relief and mounting length, but the size/magnification would be just about right for me. Then again, I'd probably go with a K4, being the Luddite that I am...

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Trijicon AccuPoint 3-9x40 and Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32 or 2-10x40 ( On sale at Cabelas for $498- http://www.cabelas.com/product/VORT...cUfL_L3uexoCRSAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds ).

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
I'll be watching this one, Goat. I, too, favor a svelte scope when possible. These days it seems scopes getting bigger & more busy.

The FXII 4x33 or 6x36 would be about ideal for you, size-wise, if you wanted to stick with Leupold. I can't recall anyone ever knocking the zero-holding bona fides of those 2 scopes.

There was recently a thread trashing the Weaver K6's for eye relief and mounting length, but the size/magnification would be just about right for me. Then again, I'd probably go with a K4, being the Luddite that I am...

FC

You may be referring to my reporting of the experience I had with a new K6. I wasn't trashing, simply reporting what occurred when I tried to utilize one on several rifles. I kept one of the two scopes I ordered. The other, unopened, went back.

Based on what someone else here said, there has been a configuration change of the K6, lengthening the bell somewhat, which shortens the available tube space. Don't know for certain, as these two were my first. I really wanted the K6s to work for me, but was only able to use one, barely at that.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just purchased and am awaiting the arrival of a bushnell 3500 2-7 and after the 1st when i get paid I’m getting a Burris ffii and a k6. I have an optics test Called the “3000 mile -500round optics test” in which I throw the scope in some Talleys on a light rifle in an Allen soft case in behind the seat of a brutally rough riding 94 Toyota single cab. I drive it around that way in all kinds of terrain and even some pavement and intermittently take it out to shoot 1 3 round group to confirm zero- followed by shooting 3 round groups 1 round at a time into the square to check tracking. I will also hunt with them IOT determine actual practical capability on the ground. Not saying I’ve never dropped one, but typically the rifle and I both eat [bleep] rather than just one or the other of us-so you’ll need to get your drop test data and your USAF resolution chart data elsewhere. If I can read the license plate numbers of the cars coming and going from my (ex’s) house- it’s good enough for me. Anyway. The other caveat to the test is that I no longer have any hard kickers and the test will most likely be performed by a 223 or possibly a 7mm08. Anyway if all is well at the end of 3000 miles and 500 rounds and the in-field hunting reveals adequate real world capability then I will be happy to know that there are some options in the non tactical non Hubble non creedmore world. I don’t personally get too barred up about hunting stuff that is better past 400 yards than what I’ve got.

Last edited by 175rltw; 11/17/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The guy that built my last rifle told me his customers have had excellent serviced from the higher priced Bushnells, and the basic, hunting style Burris scopes. This mirrors what I've seen and heard from those I know who hunt extensively. E

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
IF you can find one (used) the Conquest 2.5-8x32 is an awesome little scope for the money.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd take a peak at the Weaver Grand Slam 2-8X36.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m a fan of the discontinued vortex viper 2-7. I’ve shot everything the last 5 years through one- excepting a single hog. They are “useless” at 2-3 simply because the “view in the screen” is soooooooo tiny. But 4-6 are killer. 7 is great until the light really starts fading. It gets tough to get behind real quick as the light dims. I think at 7x it gets harder to get behind to use before the actual image gets too dim. If that makes any sense.

I’ve shied away from the weaver classic, Burris ffii, and bushnell elite 3500, simply because I never shop scopes at that price point. The only leupold scope I’d play roulette with now is the fxii 6x36.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Vortex Razors are superior to Leupold in optical quality but with the great eye box and non critical eye relief. Another benefit is relatively constant eye relief. Mine adjusts properly and had held up well though only in it's second year. The one complaint I have is that the adjustment clicks are very mushy. They adjust but are not precise and audible.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Consider sticking with Leupold if that has been your previous standard. Leupold has been around a long time and has sold a bunch of scopes over the years. They have a past reputation of building very good scopes. They also have a longstanding reputation for very good customer service and product support to include product repair, refurbishing and custom work.

Given how many Leupolds are in use, especially by people who shoot and hunt quite a bit, it doesn't surprise me that we hear a bunch about scopes failing or needing repair. It's kind of like a a garage mechanic mentioning that they work on a lot of Ford pickups. Also keep in mind that Leupolds tend be kept in use for, well, probably longer than we have any right to expect.

I'm guessing that a lot of the issues come from spinning turrets on scopes that have erector assemblies designed before routine spinning of turrets/tracking was expected. The erector assemblies are very dependent on the spring assemblies and springs can and do wear out from use or even just the passage of time. We expect the need to inspect and maintain our other equipment, especially anything mechanical with moving parts, maybe we should expect the need to inspect, and as needed, have the scope erector rebuilt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fair enough- but we should also expect it to function correctly for a while- and my personal recent experience echos what many have said lately- that you can no longer expect that out of a leupold

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've used Leupold, Burris and Bushnell Elite scopes for the past 30 years. As of late I don't know what's going on with Leupold with all the cheap prices of their scopes on the internet. You can find you a nice Leupold on eBay at a very good price but I'm still sceptical with what's going on so I'm sticking with Bushnell Elite. Get you a Bushnell Elite and be done with it. Tough damn scope. I don't try to abuse my equipment but I do USE it. Just my opinion.

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

I have an FX II 4x33 that's been acting a little weird on three different rifles lately. It's headed back to Leupold for a checkup. Not ready to slam it entirely, but there is a problem. That said, I've had nothing but perfect performance from another FX II 4x33.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In that category of scope, I've seen good things from the Burris FFII and the Bushnell Elite 4200. Both have held zero for me and my hunting partners through regular hunting use. I wouldn't say they're as tenacious in holding zero as some of the more robust tactical-style scopes, but they're pretty good for a more sleek, set-and-forget type application.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have had good luck with my Leupolds, but I’m careful with my things.

Burris doesnt have the svelte lines of Leupolds or the glass quality, but they seem to hold zero pretty good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (06hunter59, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 59 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,778
Posts18,477,065
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.