-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alaska gets a wandering mule deer from Yukon Territory at times.......several hundred miles.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A mule deer buck got hit by a car near Prior Lake several years ago. The sheriff's deputy had to finish it off. It happened near Murphy Hanrehan Park.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seeing a mule deer is the last critter on my Minnesota Critter bucket list.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Keep us posted if any Elephant show up!

Couple weeks ago I saw two elephants standing in a big field, maybe a mile from my homplace.
Big suckers, definitely not pink.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
There is some in north and west Texas. They aren’t real big.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Obviously a misidentified house cat. (Prompted by the usual 'fire comments regarding mountain lion sightings in Iowa.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have seen a mule deer a handful of times in southeastern Nebraska over the last 30 years.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Obviously a misidentified house cat. (Prompted by the usual 'fire comments regarding mountain lion sightings in Iowa.)

🙄 John, a DNR official told a lady we know, a frequent camper in the state grounds near the Little Sioux river also near the Peterson, IA area, not to let her grandkids run the trails alone. Seems they have trail cam evidence of two, maybe three lions, running the area.

My, how the DNR can change their tune when facing irrefutable evidence.

Back to the thread.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rooster7
There are few around here on the western side of the state. I've personally seen one doe and a buck was shot by Ulen a few years ago.

Would that be legal? The regulations say whitetail deer.

On a side note, a friend and I were talking about this and he brought up that he remembers there was a section in the regs about identifying hybrid and mule deer years ago. I think he is right but I don't remember it exactly.

Last edited by whackem_stackem; 11/21/17.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Critters wander sometimes. Northern Missouri has had several moose over the years that probably came from Minnesota. In the last 10 - 12 years three confirmed wolves have been killed in Missouri. DNA traced them back to the upper Midwest wolf packs, Wisconsin I think. Missouri deer regulations state whitetail or mule deer. I don't know when or if any mulies have been killed in Missouri but apparently the conservation department wants to cover the scenario just in case.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
George - I tried to send this as a PM, but it kept saying "user not found". A few years ago, my hunting partner and I headed out to wait for deer (who declined our invitation). He went north and I went east (sort of like "Ringo" by Lorne Greene). When we met up after dark, he said that I wouldn't believe the tracks that he saw in the snow. I replied that I probably would, since I bet that I had seen the same tracks (large cat). A few days later, someone shot a female lion out of a tree to our SE.

We used to fish below the dam at Peterson.

My first PeeWee baseball coach (and the husband of my first-grade teacher) drowned in the Little Sioux at Peterson one spring.

Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
There are few around here on the western side of the state. I've personally seen one doe and a buck was shot by Ulen a few years ago.

I searched the PDF version of the regulations and "whitetail" isn't mentioned, just "deer". My guess is that shooting a mule deer would be legal, but still a guess.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JOG

I searched the PDF version of the regulations and "whitetail" isn't mentioned, just "deer". My guess is that shooting a mule deer would be legal, but still a guess.

You're right, it says "deer" so I guess it would be legal.
Remember when they wanted to outlaw shooting "white" deer. Albinos are just to cute to shoot...

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A fellow I worked with who lived maybe 10 miles NW of Tyler Texas shot a Mule deer buck. The Texas dept. of parks and wildlife magnanimously didn't charge him with shooting a Mule deer when there is no mule deer season in Smith County. I think it was because a person could reasonably expect not to see one there
The closest Mule deer to smith county are probably in the Childress are, that's about 350 miles away. It was speculated somebody brought a fawn they found home and that's had it got there.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

The home of the famous Viking sword!

Ha! I just saw this now. How in the heck do you know that???

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JOG

You're right, it says "deer" so I guess it would be legal.
Remember when they wanted to outlaw shooting "white" deer. Albinos are just to cute to shoot...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was legal. I don't recall the hunter getting in any trouble.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
When I was in high school back in the '60s it seemed they killed one every year--one at Franklin,MN on the river.
The Viking sword was found in Beardmore, ON the Runestone in Alex

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've been looking at photos of whitetail-Muley hybrids. Every photo I've seen shows a tail like the 1st pic, totally different than the muley in the 2d pic. The OP's photo is much more mulish. Besides, to get a hybrid, you still have to have both species in the neighborhood.
I haven't seen a hybrid that I know of. They say that they can't really escape. Whitetails and muleys use different methods of escape and the hybrids can't do either. A whtetail will run while a muley will bounce away. A hybrid apparently will just jump around without getting anywhere. Here's a good video of a muley bouncing. That's not saying they can't run, though. They can run like crazy when they're in the mood.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (222ND, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 222Sako, 2500HD, 62 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,607
Posts18,511,623
Members74,007
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.