Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
This thread convinced me to see the second one, for the first time.

I liked both. I liked the lighter ending of the first one but thought the second one had characters portrayed a little more realistically.

The end where she called Frank James "white trash" was too funny! laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Watching the original right now.

OK, I'll say it.... shocked

The remake is a miserable piece if chitt compared to the original.... laugh

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Salmonella

agreed

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Salmonella

Whatever...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
This thread convinced me to see the second one, for the first time.

I liked both. I liked the lighter ending of the first one but thought the second one had characters portrayed a little more realistically.

The end where she called Frank James "white trash" was too funny! laugh
Probably parsing here but the exact quote IIRC was, "keep your seat, trash,".

The ending of the newer version was incredibly sad.

FWIW, the Coen brothers are just revered in Hollywood, but I think they ruin a lot of stuff. This was the best movie of theirs I've ever seen. I fully expected them to ruin it, instead they made one that is fully equal to the original, if a bit different. IMO the older guys will like the old one and the younger ones prefer the new one.

My parents hardly ever took me to see a movie growing up. Before I got my license, I probably had only seen a dozen or less movies at the theater. They took me to see True Grit when it came out though. They liked it but didn't like John Wayne cussing in it when he told Lucky Ned to fill his hand. As an aside, I always thought JW didn't emphasize it right and should've had a better coach on that part. He says, "Fill your hand, you sonofabitch,". It's hard to get this across on the computer but, he didn't say it right. It should have went more like, "Well then...fill your hand you son of a bitch." He emphasized son of a bitch wrongly. It was like they wanted to have that line in the movie but either nobody knew for sure what it meant or nobody knew how to say it. Bridges did better. It's a crucial line.

Anyway, back to what I was saying, my parents took me to see the original and then I took my two kids to see the new one. They loved it and still do. My daughter was sixteen last year and her boyfriend, who is a solid, country kid (and still with her), came over. We plugged the DVD of the new one in and he really liked it too.

One more thing...I think anybody who is not familiar with John Wayne would prefer the new one hands-down. And now at this later date, their really are kids who don't know much about JW.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't remember how it was said in the novel but I really prefer Bridges' version when he says, "I mean to kill you in one minute Ned, or see you hanged in Fort Smith at Judge Parker's convenience. Which will you have?" to Wayne's. JW says, "I mean to kill you in one minute Ned, or see you hanged in Fort Smith at Judge Parker's convenience. Which'll it be?". The newer version just rings true.

I grew up in the KC area but spent a lot of time in Texas because my Dad's family was from Kansas and Mom's from Texas. We went right through the area True Grit was set in, eastern Oklahoma and I knew it pretty well. The old version's scenery was not bad but the new one more accurately depicts eastern Oklahoma, as Joe Bob said. In Kansas City, especially on the Missouri side, the Missouri guerrillas were heroes. My Great Uncle was an old man who lived in Independence, Missouri, a town once bigger than Kansas City itself, and he may have even known some of them. He almost certainly knew people who had known them.

We went to the re-enactment of the 150th anniversary of the battle of Lone Jack and it was awesome. "Little scrap outside of Kansas City,".

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The newer version was much more accurate to the book. For that reason and others I really think the remake was the better movie, although the original is pretty good.

A bit of movie trivia. The line "Fill your hand you SOB" wasn't in the book nor the original script. In the book Cogburn issues a warning instead of a challenge and the line is "If you fill your hand you'll meet your maker". John Wayne personally struck through that line on the original script and wrote the new line in by hand.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joken2

I watch both versions of True Grit as pretty much two separate movies written and cast according to what audiences wanted and expected at the time each was filmed.

The original was outstanding in my opinion and exactly what audiences wanted and got with John Wayne as, "Rooster" Cogburn.

Kim Darby was a very popular audience favorite at that time therefore a money making commodity. With Glen Campbell's huge popularity at the time too he was icing on the money cake. Several other of the "Duke's" films cast young heart throb actors and musicians current at the time (James Caan, Fabian, Rickey Nelson, come to mind), in roles in his films obviously meant to draw young audiences especially females,

The second was outstanding as well though with some pretty quirky, if not outright weird characters, dialog and additions to the story which is what audiences often want nowadays.

Personal opinion I think the young lady that played Mattie stole the whole movie. Jeff Bridges was good but over-acted his portrayal of, "Rooster", to the extreme. Matt Damon's casting was because he was a known commodity as a audience draw.

I pretty much agree with you. Maybe it's a generation gap thing, but John Wayne versus Jeff Bridges.....come on, if you don't like Wayne, you're not a real American!!!

The remake was okay, and in a time of dumbass movies like Harry Potter and Jack Reacher, it was refreshing to see Hollywood make a western. But to say that Jeff Bridges was a better Rooster Cogburn than John Wayne, just ain't right. I'll admit that I am a John Wayne fan and have watched every movie of his, and have watched most of them so many times that I know the lines by heart. However, I liked the original better in every aspect.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The John Wayne, 1969 move. Just watching it on you tube. Classic.

Saw both. The new one is better.

I always knew there was something wrong with you.....

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
People don't like the original because it's a great movie.

They like it because it's a John Wayne movie.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

You better hit the button on your "Life Alert", I think you have fallen and can't get up...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JMR40
The newer version was much more accurate to the book. For that reason and others I really think the remake was the better movie, although the original is pretty good.

A bit of movie trivia. The line "Fill your hand you SOB" wasn't in the book nor the original script. In the book Cogburn issues a warning instead of a challenge and the line is "If you fill your hand you'll meet your maker". John Wayne personally struck through that line on the original script and wrote the new line in by hand.

I love the idea of the Duke changing the script. I couldn't find the reference online, could you post one?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Arguably, my least favorite John Wayne Western with The Shootist and Cowboys close behind. I prefer the remake, probably because I like to remember the Duke in his prime.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

They like it because it's a great John Wayne movie.

Travis

Fixed it

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 11/20/17.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I liked "The Cowboys" not great but good. My favorite is "Big Jake".

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
" traded two dental mirrors and a bottle of expectorant",,,,,,,,

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
"Greaser Bob,,, the ORIGINAL Greaser Bob is hunting north of the Picketwire and would not begrudge it's use."

Founder

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Wayne version, is more a cinematic, get away from the drudgery of life...

The new version...not so much.

I posted this before, enjoy...

I hope to take my Jeep and explore these areas!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Kinda ties into the cowboy president thread below, but the courthouse scenes in the new version were filmed in the "old" Blanco County CH in Blanco
Texas before the county seat was moved just north to "Johnson City", Blanco county Texas.

Founder

WS

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Travis

It is a great John Wayne movie. One of several great movies he made.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (270cowboy, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1234, 1_deuce, 61 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,522
Posts18,491,050
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.