Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I shot a pretty large bodied 2-1/2 year old buck this morning. Long story short, when I got him gutted, I noticed two or three, what I would call, bulbous protrusions on his liver, about the size of maybe a marble, maybe a bit smaller. They were clear, and when poked with a knife, clear fluid came out. I would compare them to a blister you would get on your hand, the day after raking leaves without gloves. I have never seen anything like it. As much as I didn't wish to, I discarded the liver, erring on the side of caution. I did keep the heart, which appeared fine. I seen no other signs or symptoms of sickness, after death, or whilst alive. I should have taken photos, but forgot.

Anyone wish you take a crack at it? Would it have been safe to eat?

FYI, I am hunting in northern West Virginia, where the deer had an EHD outbreak over the summer. I can't remember the name of the disease, but we just call it "Black Tongue," "Blue Tongue," or just "The fever." Would that have had something to do with it?

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Could be benign cists if they were clear. I wouldn't eat the liver.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Don’t take a chance

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
chuckin the liver was best,but I would call a local biologist with the fish+game and see what they know.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wish I had an answer for you but I don’t. However I am very interested in hearing/reading the findings once you have them.
Thanks.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I thought you always threw away the liver when you field dressed the deer; same as the intestines, lungs, etc.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I thought you always threw away the liver when you field dressed the deer; same as the intestines, lungs, etc.

I do.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hepatic cysts, very common in mammals.

They could be from parasites, but if everything else looked fine with animal, then it's likely not parasites.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I usually leave his balls laying too.

M
MMM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I love deer liver but if there seems to be anything wrong with it at all I just leave it, it's not worth it. Here in north Mississippi I hunt one place close to the Alabama line and the deer all have liver flukes. 70 miles to the west they do not.

Last edited by MMM; 11/21/17.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

I do.

Funny...

I throw away the deer and bring out the liver.

Kidding aside, it's my favorite part of a good deer. I grew up eating liver with onions and bacon, and deer liver is far better than any I can buy. It's a treat that my grandson shares with me. He confounds waitresses when he orders it. laugh

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Liver Blisters
Like moose measles, liver blisters are also tapeworm larvae. They prefer to settle either just below the surface or deep in the tissues of an animal’s liver—hence the name. Liver blisters are most common in moose, but they’re also found in whitetails, mule deer, elk and other herbivores. Again, the adult tapeworms reside in the intestinal tracts of wolves, coyotes and the like, and at times wild felines.
These larvae are conspicuous on or in the host’s liver, residing in a clear or white blister—cut one open and a watery fluid emerges, along with a fleshy white mass, which is the head of the larval tapeworm. It’s not very appealing, granted, but liver blisters are not infectious and cause no real damage to the animal.

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/the-yuck-factor-big-game

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If there is anything out of the ordinary with a deer liver, I won't use it.

However- fresh deer liver is one of the great meals of all time!

I will never forget the evening, years ago, that my good friend killed a nice whitetail buck on our deer hunt. That evening, after the deer was back in our camp and hunt up, we retired to my pop-up tent trailer, and prepared a meal of deer liver with onions and potatoes. It's still a great memory.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by renegade50

I prefer a spicy Pinot Noir. whistle

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Us guys who keep stuff like hearts and livers are known as gut pile gourmets. There's some good eating in there.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I detest preparing liver and heart, but am delighted to eat either when someone else is willing to do the dirty work. Obviously another character flaw.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D

I have never saved any organ meat from a deer. Coyotes need to eat too.
Have not eaten any bomestic animal organ meat since the 60s when mom and dad made us kids eat it, disgusting.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Neither the "liver blisters" nor the flukes render the liver inedible. Flukes fully encapsulate and you can cut around the capsules and discard them. When we used to work check stations back in Texas, one of my buddies would always make it a point to slice a few livers "to check for flukes". They were very common and most hunters were repelled by the thought of keeping an "infected" liver. It wouldn't take very many deer to get enough livers (surreptitiously dropped in a cooler) for Sam to whip up some liver, onions and gravy for the whole crew for lunch.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Nothing better than heart sliced thin and cooked rare.I cook the liver the same way.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 204guy, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,194
Posts18,503,541
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.