Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
If ya lived through breakfast, the rest of the day was downhill.

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Kids bringing their squirrel rifles to school on the school bus and going home with their friends after school on another bus to go hunting that evening.

Kids working in the cafeteria at school to pay for their lunches.

Drawing water out of a well with a rope and bucket and then using a dried out gourd to drink the water.

Burning my self by bumping the wood cookstove while my mother was cooking supper.

Washing machine on the front porch with a hand crank wringer.

The Flintstones was the prime time show every Friday evening.

Light dimmers in the floor of vehicles.

Sonic Booms

Last edited by RNF; 11/21/17.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Does raw mammoth milk separate the cream?

Last edited by Jim_Conrad; 11/21/17.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Does raw mammoth milk separate the cream?

Hard to tell.

It was frozen by the time I made it back to the cave.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
grin

I am MAGA.
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Life got a bit easier when Musk Ox came along. They had an attitude,...but compared to them damn Wooly Mammoths they were pussies.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I never saw paper straws for your milk shake.

I definitely remember paper straws & glass milk bottles with paper tops.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, as some of us are older than others. I hope some will learn a few things. Keep their family traditions alive. Bring up their children and hold them and their family circle tight. Protect them from this ever changing and somewhat evil world.
I'll just stop. And, say a prayer for the younger generations.

Take care..

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

My fondest mammeries are of the " spank pants " gals wore.......... The whole world ( at least mine) was ruint by panty hose.
There was never any thing more exciting than starting at the ankle ...and working your way up ...and getting to that bit of flesh .......

I also remember milk cans hauled to the milk house concrete cooler...we used wagons in summer ...sleds in winter. Sometimes we domicled a few fish in that cool water.

Cleaning the barn when it was 30* below and 3-4' snow...... chains on the old 2 wheel drive tractor....the turd hearse froze up.

Automatic milk wagons where it stopped automatically at every house that was a customer......of course it was horse drawn.( As an aside I went to U of I Champaign in the early '60's, there were still had a couple horse routes).

Then there is flypaper ,.....snowshoes for trapping , old Mall and Homelite chain saws. I remember having to hunt with a Winchester 1890 in .22 WRF. I hated pump guns .. they were so common. Now I can't get enough of 'em.

But most of all I miss "Spank Pants"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quart cans of motor oil that you had to pierce open with a spout. Damn things always leaked.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by cisco1

There was never any thing more exciting than starting at the ankle ...

The only time I found ankles exciting was when a woman had them behind her ears.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

I hear ya,

but you never experienced "Spank Pants" didja?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My '52 Chevy Powerglide Deluxe -
Fender skirts
Sun visor (I've heard them called "ballcaps" the last few years smile
Ball bearings on the front axle
Solid front axle
Ratcheting jacks
Oil filters inside a housing
Grease guns before cartridges - remember filling them out of a 5 gal bucket with a wide putty knife?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
re-tread tires and the subsequent chunks of retread littering the roads.

My diploma is a DD214
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Sounds more like recaps than retreads.
Recaps - they vulcanized a layer with tread on the outside of a worn tire.
Retreads - they cut new grooves in the existing "carcass" - for want of a better word.

Don't know why - but I always liked the smell of the shop that did recaps for us!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
ya you're right. recaps

My diploma is a DD214
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I remember "breathing" the engine to get the wipers to work when pulling a hill. It supposedly also pulled a little oil past the rings to cool things down, then you had a puff out the exhaust. As far as inner tubes, what are they? Going to the nickel movies Saturday with the gang next door, in a 36 woodie. Points, condenser, and plugs. That choke knob, and the high compression engines 4.5 to 1. Then they came up with the auto choke and really did have high compression 10 or 11 to 1.

That TV didn't come on air until something like 7, and you had to tune the test pattern trying to get the lines straight and the circles round. I think TV was better then, even if we did have only 2 or 3 channels.

Mom used to borrow 5 bucks from me to buy a weeks groceries a few times, always paid it back. Both us here remember the party lines, wringer washers. Actually my wife didn't have an "automatic" until she married me, along with a dryer. In those days she could walk downtown Denver at night safely.

Some things I miss, but I sure wouldn't wish anyone the lack of the medicine treatment we have now. I do miss a "real" doctor, who did everything.

I like to look at the props in movies, seeing how many things I know of and used.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Southwind, gasoline, car heaters.
LINK
They did a good job. A. I. R.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Drinking water was in a white enameled metal bucket with a matching dipper that we all drank from. Hand pumped from the cistern that collected rainwater from the roof gutters.

Hot water came from a tea kettle or we had one of those electric things you plugged in the wall and dropped in a bucket.

Milked cows by hand, ran milk through a separator to get the cream. Take cream and eggs to "trade" at the grocery store on Saturday once weekly trip to town.

Putting on overshoes to go to outhouse when snowy or muddy.

Firewood: Dad never owned a chainsaw, but you could shave with his ax. Buzz saw on an 8N Ford made stove wood in a hurry.

Building a fire from corncobs in an old double boiler, set under the carb on the 8N to get it started at 20 below. Thats after having the battery in the house overnite.

Feeding cows with a team and a sled, Dad making me get off and run alongside to keep warm. Sticking the toes of my overboots in a fresh cowpie to warm them up....

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
...a gas station with the pump that filled the glass bowl then gravity drained to your tank<

I saw that style pump in use just one time when I was a little kid. At a little country station out in the boondocks.
I thought it was real cool to actually see the gasoline before it flowed down the hose into the car's tank.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

173 members (338reddog, 300_savage, 308xray, 673, 16penny, 26 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,265
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.