Print Thread
Hop To
E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
There are a few Brno combos in 12 ga. and .22 Savage Hi-Power available through some of the dealers, such as Simpson Ltd. What is the availability of .22 HP on the domestic market. I am a reloader and understand this caliber is still popular in Europe, but heard it is no longer manufactured in the US. I have been interested in this old round and it might be fun to use it in a double gun. It might make a good varmint gun. Thanks for any advice!

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sellier & Bellot 5.56x52R is still being sold, and it's not crazy expensive. I think they use Norma brass, so it should be good for your reloading. Projectiles are the real hitch though, not many .228" diameter bullets available.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
S&B makes their own brass. As the op intimated, bullets are the stumbling block. Reference earlier posts on the subject, I'm not in the mood to do the whole .22HP diatribe today.

I don't care about combo guns of any stripe- neither fish nor fowl and not optimal in either rifle or shotgun mode. I would on the other hand sell my left but for a BRNO single shot .22HP rifle. They have fast twists for stabilizing heavy bullets.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 11/17/17.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by E Blair
There are a few Brno combos in 12 ga. and .22 Savage Hi-Power available through some of the dealers, such as Simpson Ltd. What is the availability of .22 HP on the domestic market. I am a reloader and understand this caliber is still popular in Europe, but heard it is no longer manufactured in the US. I have been interested in this old round and it might be fun to use it in a double gun. It might make a good varmint gun. Thanks for any advice!

If you're buying from Simpson, LTD, you should be aware that their grading can be inconsistent and that they tend to over-grade.

AFAIK, no major U.S. ammo manufacturer has cataloged .22 HP ammo for at least 50 years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brno ??

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
BRNO = Czech arms maker, now called CZ.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You mean one of these.

[Linked Image]

I find the combo gun is one of the better coyote hunting rigs for closer cover, you usually don't get time for a second shot, many shots are at very close range but every once in a while you get one standing out beyon shotgun range and when you are covering alot of country just packing the combo gun is a lot easier than a rifle and a shotgun. You don't have to shoot monster shotgun loads as you just need it for the close stuff. I find that an 1 1/4 oz of NP BB's are plenty for the shotgun barrel as you have the rifle if you want to reach out a ways.

The shotgun barrels I imported to go with the combo to make it a great travel rig, quail to deer with the same gun. Plus it is very accurate. I use 55gr Buffalo Arms .228 bullets and it will shoot sub-MOA groups to 300 yards with the 1.5x4.5 Nikon on it.

[Linked Image]

This was a Simpson gun, a couple years ago I made a big swing through the Midwest on a vacation and stopped in Galesburg and bought this and two shotguns from them.

300 yard group

[Linked Image]

Last edited by erich; 11/22/17.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I fixed the pictures, The 70gr S&B factory loads will double the size of the groups, about 3" at 200 yards..

Last edited by erich; 11/22/17.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (2003and2013, 1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 61 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,450
Posts18,471,039
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.