Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 340boy
Another thing about the Creedmore "phenomena" that I think is really good are the spillover benefits- that is, the availability of more and better bullets and brass of the 6.5 bore.[/quote
[quote=340boy] Another thing about the Creedmore "phenomena" that I think is really good are the spillover benefits- that is, the availability of more and better bullets and brass of the 6.5 bore.

And great factory ammo that’s both accurate and reasonably priced, a great one two punch, a marketing home run.

Yeah, the CM is goona make it and flourish.

DF

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
340boy,

I'm apparently somewhat older than you, which is why I did see something similar to the Creedmoor Craze. Back in 1962 Remington introduced their 7mm magnum, and it's "fad" kept going, and going, and going. As I recall, even into the mid-1970's it was outselling the .30-06, at least in new rifles and reloading dies. A friend who's a couple years younger than me worked in a local sawmill int he 70's, and joked that the company issued every worker a hard-hat and a 7mm Remington Magnum. It was that popular--and 45 years later remains a standard chambering in bolt-action rifles around the world.

The "flash in the pan" 6.5 Creedmoor is the only other centerfire cartridge I've seen that's kept selling better and better a decade after it's introduction.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot
Biggest problem I see with 6.5 CM is that everyone seems to be loading it with H4350 and now I can't find any to load my 30-06 with.

I bought a 6.5CM Howa from Whitakers, when they put them on sale for less than $300. Decided to use powder that I already had on hand before buying more. The first group I shot with it, W760 powder and 120 grain Sierra Mtachkings went under a half inch at a 100 yards. Since I'm a hunter, and not a long range competitor, I figured that would work just fine. Loaded up some 120 Nosler BT's for deer hunting, using the same load, and they shoot to the same POI. I realize 760 is not the "in" powder, but it works for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
340boy,

I'm apparently somewhat older than you, which is why I did see something similar to the Creedmoor Craze. Back in 1962 Remington introduced their 7mm magnum, and it's "fad" kept going, and going, and going. As I recall, even into the mid-1970's it was outselling the .30-06, at least in new rifles and reloading dies. A friend who's a couple years younger than me worked in a local sawmill int he 70's, and joked that the company issued every worker a hard-hat and a 7mm Remington Magnum. It was that popular--and 45 years later remains a standard chambering in bolt-action rifles around the world.

The "flash in the pan" 6.5 Creedmoor is the only other centerfire cartridge I've seen that's kept selling better and better a decade after it's introduction.

John,

I'm 50 this year. I started hunting and shooting back when I was a junior in high school, around 1985, I bought a tang safety Ruger in 300 win. I worked all summer at my dads chemical plant sweeping floors to save up for the rifle. I almost bought a seven mag instead. Good memories.

Tim

Last edited by 340boy; 11/22/17.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember reading about the 7MM Magnum in one of the hook and bullet magazines while riding in the back seat of the car on a family vacation. I wish that I had the article so that I knew who the reviewer was. The tale involved emerging from the tent (or cabin) and seeing a moose across the water. Said moose made the acquaintance of the new round.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
People are buying guns. Where is the downside?

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
The 6.5 Creedmoor will never be popular enough that everyone will spell Creedmoor properly.

Just a prediction.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wait a minute.... You mean to tell me someone designed a cartridge that will sling a 140gr. Bullet at 2700 fps?! That's amazing!
I loved the comment above that it shoots "one hole groups" with ease. The cartridge? not the platform it's fired from?

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
It appears the word "fad" must have a new meaning to some at least, like the meaning of the word "gay" changed over the years. To me a round that has been around 10 years or so and getting more popular every year and with sales of the factory ammo, components and the rifles being at such an insane level might lead one to conclude it must not be a fad. I would love to have a profitable "fad" like that !

Last edited by Nomosendero2; 11/26/17.

You will not make peace with the Blue Coats, you are free to go
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Wait a minute.... You mean to tell me someone designed a cartridge that will sling a 140gr. Bullet at 2700 fps?! That's amazing!
I loved the comment above that it shoots "one hole groups" with ease. The cartridge? not the platform it's fired from?

Yes.

The more things change the more they stay the same........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Higbean
The 6.5 Creedmoor will never be popular enough that everyone will spell Creedmoor properly.

Just a prediction.

It'll just become known as the "6.5".

Like the 7mmRM has become to the less informed the "7mm". They think the only 7mm cartridge out there is the 7mmRM.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
340boy,

I wasn’t born until 1961 so didn’t witness the 7mm RM craze firsthand. However, I remember in 1972 pouring over the Remington catalog with my brother all that summer. We both came to the conclusion, based on “the numbers,” the 7emem had to be the finest all-around hunting cartridge ever developed.

I still have never owned one smile

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ha!

I predict the 6.5 Creedmoor will simply become known as the Creed (though even that will sometimes be spelled Crede, or possibly Cread).

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I could just see it: The 6.5mm shooters Creed:

'We thank thee, oh Lord for thou doest provideth us with a low-recoiling, accurate cartridge. We beseech thee, oh Lord, to banish all .338 shooters to the abyss, and to all shooters of rifles with barrels longer than 22" to the 9th Circle of Hell.

Amen.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I must say that after a few year hiatus from the sporting rifle world that I'm extremely impressed with the marketing behind the 6.5 Creedmoor. Nearly every one of the Average Joe deer hunters that work with me buzz about the cartridge incessantly. Just today I've been informed that it "produces a much larger wound channel" than my .270 Winchester's..... Whoever was tasked with selling rifles and ammunition in this cartridge has succeeded wonderfully.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ZKight89
I must say that after a few year hiatus from the sporting rifle world that I'm extremely impressed with the marketing behind the 6.5 Creedmoor. Nearly every one of the Average Joe deer hunters that work with me buzz about the cartridge incessantly. Just today I've been informed that it "produces a much larger wound channel" than my .270 Winchester's..... Whoever was tasked with selling rifles and ammunition in this cartridge has succeeded wonderfully.

For sure, the planning, development, roll out and sales campaign have been masterfully executed. Quality, reasonably priced factory ammo that really shoots is a big plus. Kudos to team Hornady.

They didn't do too bad with the .17 HMR, either. Dave Emary is a master ballistician and Steve Hornady is no slouch, himself.

Concerning the name, like the 7RM maybe it'll just be the 6.5CM. That way, no one will need to know how to spell Creedmoor. Terminal performance from moderate speed rounds probably benefited from developments in bullet technology over the last few decades. Great accuracy with a turret/range reticle is a great combo for LR shooting. Then there's the 6CM...

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, Remys, Winies...............Creedies..........

GOA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TooDogs
So, Remys, Winies...............Creedies..........

Very trendy; maybe you've started something... smile

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
After shooting both the 6.5 and 6, when I think Creed it will be the 6!!

What a sweet cartridge to shoot, load for and kill stuff with!!

Last edited by mmgravy; 11/27/17.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Fun to shoot for sure, light recoil, accurate, kills bigger than it is.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 3,341 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,374
Posts18,469,379
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.