Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I processed my deer this weekend and cut the back straps in half. I would like to try them on the smoker (one at a time) but am concerned that it might dry them out too much and ruin them.

Has anybody done this with good results?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've never smoked one. I just cook them on the grill like a steak. I've heard of guys smoking a hind quarter with the bone in.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by StoneCutter; 11/20/17.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wrap mine in bacon. And inject with cider vinegar and peach can syrup.

No fat so can’t overdo it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have had a ham cured and smoked.
Chipped, it made great S.O.S.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Never smoked a backstrap but do muscle group roasts all the time and they are delicious. Smoke at 225 to around 140 to 145 deg internal temp, take off and wrap for 30 min.

I don't inject or wrap, just put a simple rub on them. Not dry at all.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I smoke quite a bit of venison whole muscles. I just rub with High Mountain mesquite jerky cure mixed per directions for jerky, throw it in the fridge for a couple days and smoke to 145 degrees internal.

It comes out perfect, not dry. Next to impossible to mess up.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I would not ... I did try to make some jerky out of some and will not do it again. I believe that the meat is just too tender for smoking or jerky.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Never did a backstrap but do other parts of the deer all the time with great results. I marinate in teriyaki 24-48 hours in the fridge and smoke with alderwood 2-3 hours, never any leftovers and everyone raves about it and clamors for more.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
The secret to good backstrap is to not over cook it. If you cook to temp then you should be fine.

Why is abbreviate such a long word
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

yes I have..last October........wrapped in bacon...apple slices.....cooked 3.5 hrs about 200* IIRC......

the meat was still thumping when I placed it in the smoker.........apple wood.........buck was shot in my apple orchard....

go figure............I also place a pan for moisture on the heat end...beer..juice..even water.....was very good...

most recent venison grill were these tenderloins....on gas grill......marinated & grilled........another orchard/field buck

was very good.......

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I might have to try that....

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Tag

Y
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
I smoke half backstraps all the time. I marinate them in Dales, with some crushed garlic and pepper. Don’t marinate them for longer than an hour since Dales is so salty/strong. Smoke at 225* until the internal temp is 130*. I do not fill my water pan. It usually doesn’t take more than an hour. Pull off the smoker and wrap in foil for about 30 minutes to let juices redistribute. Slice 1/2 inch steaks for people to enjoy. They stay plenty moist. It will improve your marriage.

Last edited by yazoomark; 11/26/17. Reason: Didnt give enough info
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by yazoomark
I smoke half backstraps all the time. I marinate them in Dales, with some crushed garlic and pepper. Don’t marinate them for longer than an hour since Dales is so salty/strong. Smoke at 225* until the internal temp is 130*. I do not fill my water pan. It usually doesn’t take more than an hour. Pull off the smoker and wrap in foil for about 30 minutes to let juices redistribute. Slice 1/2 inch steaks for people to enjoy. They stay plenty moist. It will improve your marriage.

Make your own marinade based on real brewed soy sauce, it'll be much better. Dale's is made with "soy sauce" that's really chemistry set crap.

If you want to see the difference just taste some soy sauce straight, Kikkoman first and La Choy second. You'll wonder what toxic waste they're making the La Choy out of. The La Choy type "soy sauce" is the base for Dale's.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mathman

Make your own marinade based on real brewed soy sauce, it'll be much better. Dale's is made with "soy sauce" that's really chemistry set crap.

If you want to see the difference just taste some soy sauce straight, Kikkoman first and La Choy second. You'll wonder what toxic waste they're making the La Choy out of. The La Choy type "soy sauce" is the base for Dale's.

Yup!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Bootsfishing
I would not ... I did try to make some jerky out of some and will not do it again. I believe that the meat is just too tender for smoking or jerky.

We make jerky from backstraps all the time, comes out great.

FJB & FJT
Y
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
Originally Posted by mathman

Thanks! I will try that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tag

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't even fathom using backstrap for jerky, or polluting it with marinade.....but thats just me. Some S&P and perhaps garlic, and don't overcook it.

Jeff

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
yes
marinade in what you like
smoke to 115
Sear quickly like 1 minute in hot skillet or on the grill
Comes out rare to med rare and delicious

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 56 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,463
Posts18,489,835
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.