Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
WTF does 'days' have to do with the rifle you use? Or are you just going to bring physics, insecurities and illogicalisticness into it?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ismith
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I don't have to 'stretch my imagination' to know I don't need a 338 for elk......

Hopefully not for lack of hunting/shooting skill. I've seen spectacular one shot elk kills with a 7mm-08 as well as elk shot with magnums and lost, but that doesn't change the fact that the .338 is a better choice if you can handle the recoil and shoot it well.

Pussy. I only use my .50 cal.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by szihn

I have killed a lot of elk with a 375H&H. In fact I have killed more elk with my 375 than any other rifle I own. But I carry it not because it kills elk "better" than smaller guns, but because I think it's a better option to ave in hand when and if I have a mad grizzly facing me when I am hunting elk. But out of the dozens of elk I have killed and the hundreds of elk I have seen killed I can't say a 338 is any "better" at killing them than a 30-06, 270 or 7 Mag, as long as the elk are hit with a good bullet in the correct place.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have killed a lot of elk with a 375H&H. In fact I have killed more elk with my 375 than any other rifle I own. But I carry it not because it kills elk "better" than smaller guns, but because I think it's a better option to ave in hand when and if I have a mad grizzly facing me when I am hunting elk. But out of the dozens of elk I have killed and the hundreds of elk I have seen killed I can't say a 338 is any "better" at killing them than a 30-06, 270 or 7 Mag, as long as the elk are hit with a good bullet in the correct place.

Bigger kills only bear better, not elk.

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
More of a security blanket than anything else.

Elk don't try to kill humans as a rule and bears are not dangerous at all until they are close enough to touch you. So the power of the bigger rifles is for my comfort. At spitting distance I like the idea of a 270 grain bullet at rifle speed better than a 150 grain bullet at rifle speed.

The 270 is very good for hunting.
The 375H&H is better if you are hunted.

More power feels better in my hands when I am around a lot of bears. Which I am----------- nearly every season.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
I don't have to 'stretch my imagination' to know I don't need a 338 for elk......

Hopefully not for lack of hunting/shooting skill. I've seen spectacular one shot elk kills with a 7mm-08 as well as elk shot with magnums and lost, but that doesn't change the fact that the .338 is a better choice if you can handle the recoil and shoot it well.

Wimp. I use a .58.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by nemotheangler

Wimp. I use a .58.

Haha touche

Molon Labe
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It’s funny how marginally smaller cartridges are fine for elk but never for bears. I’m fine with shooting an elk with a 6.5, but I don’t have illusions that it puts a bigger hole in a critter than a 338. End result, for the same placement, will be the same, but bigger might do it faster.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It's only better in YOUR eyes......

What, you don't believe in physics?

No, I believe in penetration.

It's all in the bullet reaching the boiler room.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
More of a security blanket than anything else.

Elk don't try to kill humans as a rule and bears are not dangerous at all until they are close enough to touch you. So the power of the bigger rifles is for my comfort. At spitting distance I like the idea of a 270 grain bullet at rifle speed better than a 150 grain bullet at rifle speed.

The 270 is very good for hunting.
The 375H&H is better if you are hunted.

More power feels better in my hands when I am around a lot of bears. Which I am----------- nearly every season.

My old man dropped a charging Grizzly at bad breath range with a 130 grain something or other out of a .270 back in the 60's, but I have never ever had him tell me that he was glad he had that rifle and not the 300 H&H. A bigger hole, bore deeper, is always better when dealing with pissed off critters bent on destruction, as well as the less ideal shot angles at less than ideal ranges and in less than idea weather. I'm not saying that the .338 is my favorite, or the right choice for everybody, only that you are limiting yourself by choosing a lighter cartridge when you can handle one that can get the job done where others can't.

Last edited by ismith; 11/24/17.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

No argument there.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm two bulls for two shots from my 7mm-08. Both bullets were 140 grain Partitions started at 2875 fps. Both bulls were DRT.

My dad is 1/1 on a big 5x5 from his 7mm-08, 140 Accubond started at 2850 fps. Maybe 90' recovery.

My nephew killed a modest 5x6 this year with his 7mm-08, 150 ELDX at 2800 fps.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Given similar bullet construction....momentum of a heavier bullet will likely pay dividends, especially when bone is encountered.

.338's normally launch bullets with more mass. I have a 338, but haven't used it for elk (yet). 7mm's and 30's for me......heavy-for-caliber, well-constructed bullets. Get loose-enough fillings with those.

Momentum:
a property of a moving body that the body has by virtue of its mass and motion and that is equal to the product of the body's mass and velocity; broadly : a property of a moving body that determines the length of time required to bring it to rest when under the action of a constant force or moment.

At least no one brought up those VLD's in this thread.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
VLD = very low density (after impact)! There....I fixed it! grin memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/25/17.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by memtb
VLD = very low density (after impact)! There....I fixed it! grin memtb

Ironically, hunters shooting VLD's are very dense......

Uh oh.....this thread was very civilized up to this point. Sorry.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Over 50 with my old .270 and 130 partitions.......and a few with a 22-250. and a few with a 260. and this years was a 6.5 creed.....

Do you notice any real difference between the 270 and the 6.5s?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
nope

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

smile memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/25/17.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

It's not a linear process. The "results" as a function of "power" curve flattens out after a while.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
A flat shooting cartridge in a bolt action rifle set up with short range, quick shots in mind.

This makes a LOT of sense. Take the lever guns if you want, but in my experience, "timber rifles" only make sense when you hunt a place that has nothing but timber, and that's generally dictated by property lines, not terrain and vegetation. There are plenty of places where you can step out of the timber and see elk far enough away that a lever gun isn't a good choice but you wouldn't think twice about using a bolt gun. Instead of doing your pre-hunt training with two completely different types of rifles, I'd put the extra time, money, and ammo into getting really fast with your bolt guns at close range. It's not that hard, and that particular skill will serve you well when you hunt deer or pigs. Here are a couple of examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4Cerq1Q_vE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WbpptdFiNE

I'd zero your two rifles at 200 yards with 160-grain Partitions. Set them up with 4x scopes, then start burning up ammo offhand and in field positions.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,406
Posts18,488,965
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.