Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Son and I hope to make our first venture out west for elk in 2019. Starting to do the research now for a do-it-yourself hunt; we realize chances of success are small, but just being out there in the high country is worth the experience. Anyway, our rifles are a Ruger Mark II in 7x57 and an M700 in 280 Remington. We will likely go with factory Partition loads unless we find the time to work up promising handloads. (Ok, one caveat, we are also bringing Marlin lever actions in 45/70 and 444 should the timber be the destination)

Curious to hear from those who have successfully rifle hunted elk with non magnum chamberings in something less than 30 caliber.

Thanks in advance, and Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Over 50 with my old .270 and 130 partitions.......and a few with a 22-250. and a few with a 260. and this years was a 6.5 creed.....

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Use them.

The elk won't know if it is a magnum cartridge or not.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Killed the bull in my avatar with a 6.5-06.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Killing elk out west with a 280 is too much fun. Get after it.

IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Got my bull this year w/a 275 Rigby aka 7x57 and have used a 280 successfully in the past.
Don't worry about either cartridge! They will work!
And I would happily use either in the timber & not worry

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Good placement with good Bullets....no problem! Hell.....here at the fire many have been killed with a “keyboard”! grin memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/23/17.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I put a lot of elk in the freezer with a 270 and 150's. A 280 is nearly the same thing. The 7x57 has nothing it needs to prove. It's potted a lot of large animals in it's history.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It is not what you hit them with it is where. Magnumitis is WAY overrated.Elk are not that hard to kill unless you are shooting them over in the next county. The majority of elk are killed within 150yards and a lot of them a lot closer

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I agree. I always clinch my teeth when I hear about those 500+ yard shots. I want to know how many they wounded before they dropped one.

― George Orwell

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You both have FINE elk rifles! Have no doubts.
And your choice of bullets/ammo is perfect. 150 to 175 grain bullets are the best and I favor the 160 and 175 grain bullets.

I used to have a 7X57 myself (used with both 160 and 175 mentioned above) and I know of several successful hunters using the 280. I have killed lots with a 270 Winchester.

I have hunting and guided elk hunters now for 44 years. I have seen a bunch killed with 25-06, 257 Roberts, 6.5X55 Swede and a few with 243s.

The thing I have learned in my many years of killing elk and seeing elk killed is that the bullet you use if FAR more important then the cartridge you fire it from and of course marksmanship is the most important thing there is.
As a guide I have had to track down a lot of wounded game in my life. The #1 cause of long tracking jobs is poor bullet placements but the #2 cause is poor bullet performance. MANY bullet used by new elk hunters are chosen because of their accuracy which is the worst reason you can choose a bullet for big game. If you have 2 MOA you have all you truly need for elk out to 500 yards and 500 yards is a lot farther than you are likely to shoot and as far as you should shoot for ethical reasons.

But I have had to track about 30 elk in my life hit in the RIGHT PLACE with poor bullets and those bullets broke up and didn't penetrate well.

As a side line, I have been with many clients that made "less-than-perfect" hits on elk with good bullets and the tracking job was easy, or in some cases, the elk didn't go anywhere after such a hit,because the bullet went clear through and damaged the innards enough to cause then to lay down.
Hits far back in the lung area that go through the diaphragm and through the liver area through the guts and out the back with good bullets will still bring down an elk in a short distance and some times a very short distance. The same hit with a fragmenting bullet often results in an elk going between 400 yards, and the worst ones I have tracked went over a mile.

One of the very worst recovery jobs I ever did was a very big bull my client hit with a 7MM Mag. He shot it from a high angle above but the bullet hit the ridge of the shoulder blade. If it has held together it would have come out the bottom of the chest on the off-side. At the angel his hit was perfect, but his bullet was not! The bullet came completely apart and not one piece of lead of jacket made it into the lungs. As I was to find out gutting it many hours later) That shot was about 30 minutes after 1st shooting-light in the morning. I and my hunter caught up with that wounded bull just before last light and he killed it with a 2nd shot into the ribs I gutted it by flash light and we had to pack out the first pieces (back legs and hams) in the dark for about 4 hours, where there were LOTS of grizzlies around. Not any fun, I can assure you.
The bullet was a Sierra "game king" of 150 grains as I recall.
I made a very similar shot with a 44 mag handgun with a 4" barrel a few years later. I used a cast 265 grain SWC bullet. The elk staggered and fell in about 15 feet. The bullet broke the shoulder blade and exited mid body. A 44 mag is a powerful gun, but no where near as powerful as a 7MM Rem Mag. All that power was of no value however because the bullet didn't use it the right way

You and your son are JUST FINE. Use your 7MMs and use the heavy Nosler Partitions and you'll probably need a sharp knife and packs too. Your guns and ammo will put elk down and you'll need the knives and pack frames. I hope for some hard work packing in your near future.
smile
Happy hunting

Last edited by szihn; 11/23/17.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Small sample size, but got my cow last year with a .270 and 140gr Accubonds, and I got a cow two days ago with my 6.5 Creed and 140gr Accubonds. The .270 bullet busted some shoulder bones and wound up under the opposite side skin. The 6.5 CM bullet nicked the very back edge of the lower scapula, blew out about 2.5" of rib on the entry side, went through and exited. I would expect a .280 with good bullets to do just as well.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Interesting thread. Glad to see szihn elaborate on the location of hits and the type of bullets.I've hunted elk a couple times but never killed one. Lots say the predictable response of "good placement". I'm no novice, but real world experiences would be informative. On an animal the size of an elk with the caliber someone is considering, what does that mean?
Double lung only? Frontal shots under 100yds good? Any hit in the vitals? High shoulder shots, which usually work well on deer but I'm doubting the same hit on an elk would be equivalent. Even a whitetail can go a long way with a single lung hit from an arrow or rifle.
Just thought it would be good for those using these smaller calibers (or any caliber for that matter) on game the size of elk to expand on their experience a bit for the benefit of those asking and like yours truly who never killed anything over 300 lbs.
Happy Thanksgiving.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'd certainly favor the 175 gr bullets in the .280/7mm class. Szhin mentioned this (The bullet was a Sierra "game king" of 150 grains as I recall).

I killed quite a few elk with 7 mags Sierra Game Kings,but they were all in the 175 gr weight class.150 gr is way to light for a 7 mag unless it is a tougher bullet. The biggest bulI ever l killed, a big 7x8, was put down with one shot using a 180 gr Sierra Game King, .06. Not saying that is the only bullet to use by a long shot, but my post above calls out where to put it is more important
Hard to go wrong with a Nosler Partition in just about any caliber.

Keep the heavy for caliber bullets stuffed in the 7mm or .280 and you don' t need to bring those 45-70 o4 .444.I've killed quite a few elk using 180-220 bullets in my .06. In the open or thick timber

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I am 2 for two shells with a 7x57 against elk........

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
#2 cause is poor bullet performance.
For 8 or 10 years I used 180 gr AB's in a 300 WSM. I had some problems like bullet separation. In one case, I hit the shoulder but not the bone and the bullet came apart. The shoulder was obliterated. I found the copper in the shoulder and later found the core in the heart. I was less than impressed.

I've been assured that Nosler has fixed the problem so, to give them a fair chance, I used them again this year in a 30-06. However, I didn't get a chance to shoot anything with them so I can't comment on performance. I can say that they're highly accurate.

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not elk, but I am 2 for 2 on bull moose with a 7mm-08 & Barnes Vor-tx 120gr TTSX !

Do not hesitate to use either of your choices.

Aim small & let the work begin.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have killed numerous elk with my .280 Rem. You cannot go wrong as long as your bullet placement is good. Same rule applies to magnums...

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have used 6.8 spc on three elk and 308, 30-06, 270, 6.5 creed, on elk and several different magnums they all work within there limitations.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Both of these fell to a .280. First one in mid chew.

[Linked Image]Untitled by jeff lansdale, on Flickr

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
Rock Chuck, I also wonder how many elk are wounded are never recovered and how much long range blasting away contributes to those loses. Maybe we should start a new thread.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We've had threads on it before and they didn't change anyone's mind.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shot a good size cow this morning with a 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip out of a 280AI at about 60 yard. One shot, bang-flop.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Both of them are fine. I would go with a light mono in the 7x57 if you think 300+ yd shots are likely. My son killed a cow at 330 yds the other day with a 160 gr Accubond from a 280 Rem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
moose 7mm 25-06

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The Federal premium 150gr Partition load for the 270 is poison on elk. My dad and uncle have 20 something sets of ivories to prove it.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I killed my first bull elk with 6mm Rem, though the cartridge wouldn't be my preferred choice for taking elk.

Even though it's a 30 caliber, I'm guessing my grand dad killed more elk with his .30-30 than most of us put together. My grand dad worked for the Forest Service then later a lumber company so he was constantly in the hills. Family lore has it that from the great depression through the war years there wasn't a needy family in Star Valley Wyoming that suffered from the lack of fresh elk meat thanks to grandpa's .30-30.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shot 2 elk last year with 270 win 150 Nosler Partitions. Non magnums work fine.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
4 one shot kills with B-tip 120s. 2 from 7-08 at 300-325 yds. 2 with 280 at 415-425 yds.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by saddlesore
It is not what you hit them with it is where. Magnumitis is WAY overrated.Elk are not that hard to kill unless you are shooting them over in the next county. The majority of elk are killed within 150yards and a lot of them a lot closer

Yes. A miss or wounded will never be posted or put up on youtube.............

I't like every rifle for sale these days shoots less than MOA.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Forget the caliber, it's all about the bullet.

Also, when it comes to elk hunting you're most likely to find them at less than 100yds, but be prepared to shoot 400 yds. A "specialized' rifle is not what a guy wants to be carrying on most elk hunts.

One rifle--a general purpose rifle.

So far I've killed three critters this year--bear at 28 paces, cow elk at ~60 yds, and a bull at 40 yds--this is with a 270 and 150gr NPT's. A flat shooting cartridge in a bolt action rifle set up with short range, quick shots in mind.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The first elk hunt I went on I used a 270.

Last edited by BWalker; 11/24/17.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sample of one, bull elk, approx. 200 yds, 6.5X55, 140 grain Core-lokt ammunition, one shot never moved. YRMV

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes, of course you can be successful with a sub-30 cal non-magnum if you can hunt and shoot. That doesn’t make a 270 a better elk cartridge than a 338 by any stretch of the imagination though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't have to 'stretch my imagination' to know I don't need a 338 for elk......

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I've made several bulls quite sleepy with 140/150 bullts from my .280 Mountain rifle, on distances out to 550 yards. Not much to it if you put bullet in boiler room.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I don't have to 'stretch my imagination' to know I don't need a 338 for elk......

Hopefully not for lack of hunting/shooting skill. I've seen spectacular one shot elk kills with a 7mm-08 as well as elk shot with magnums and lost, but that doesn't change the fact that the .338 is a better choice if you can handle the recoil and shoot it well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's only better in YOUR eyes......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

What, you don't believe in physics?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Physics?

Ok lets run down that trail a bit.

Lets say I have to move 1000 pounds of cement blocks to a location at the other end of my land.
And I have a Heavy duty pickup with a 2 ton rating.
I also have a Semi with a 50 ton rating.

Which one is "better" for moving the block,----------- and at what point will the block care?

You see no one is saying the 338 is not more powerful just like no one would say the Peterbilt is not more powerful then the pickup
But that has nothing to do with the job.

The pick-up is powerful enough and my be better for this job if you can maneuver it better.
The cement blocks will never know of care.

Once you get very fast or instant or kills and 100% penetration with good cavitation through an elk, what is to be gained by shooting a more powerful rifle?
I do hunt with more powerful rifles and I kill elk almost every year, as I have done many many decades, but I don't NEED a more powerful rifle. I just like them. If you like them, use them. I do. I love my 375, my 9.3X74R, my 9.3X57 and my 300 mag. But in my near 50 years of killing elk I have never seen any hit with my 300 mags or even my 338s that died any faster then those I killed with my 270.

I have killed a lot of elk with a 375H&H. In fact I have killed more elk with my 375 than any other rifle I own. But I carry it not because it kills elk "better" than smaller guns, but because I think it's a better option to ave in hand when and if I have a mad grizzly facing me when I am hunting elk. But out of the dozens of elk I have killed and the hundreds of elk I have seen killed I can't say a 338 is any "better" at killing them than a 30-06, 270 or 7 Mag, as long as the elk are hit with a good bullet in the correct place.

Please men, don't get illogical here and fall into "thing warship".

We all have our favorites. That's OK and that's as it should be. Right now if I had to name a favorite elk rifle it's going to be a toss-up between one of my 9.3s, my 62 cal flintlock and my 8X57 Mauser is in the running too. But for open country shooting I probably would still grab my 270 or my 300 mag, especially if I have limited time and I can't come back as often as I'd like.

I am to a point in my life that I enjoy the gun more then the caliber. If I have enough to do the job, that's all I care about as far as caliber goes, but the gun I carry has to please me in the hunting and carrying. So I don't really care what caliber I have as much as what bullet it's loaded with. This year my plan was to kill y elk with my 6.5X54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer but broken down vehicles cause me to miss all but 3 days of my own elk season. I have some days coming but time is short now, so I will probably take the 270 or the 300 out--- if I can get out again.

It is an insecure and illogical man that demands that others agree with him on his choice and things, thinks his chosen thing had special merit or virtue over and above the choice of other men's things.

That the way the liberal are thinking and acting today. We see this clearly when it's directed against us so why can't we see it is we start to fall for the same bait?

"Thing warship" is the height of illogic and demanding others agree is a symptom of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WTF does 'days' have to do with the rifle you use? Or are you just going to bring physics, insecurities and illogicalisticness into it?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ismith

Hopefully not for lack of hunting/shooting skill. I've seen spectacular one shot elk kills with a 7mm-08 as well as elk shot with magnums and lost, but that doesn't change the fact that the .338 is a better choice if you can handle the recoil and shoot it well.

Pussy. I only use my .50 cal.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by szihn

I have killed a lot of elk with a 375H&H. In fact I have killed more elk with my 375 than any other rifle I own. But I carry it not because it kills elk "better" than smaller guns, but because I think it's a better option to ave in hand when and if I have a mad grizzly facing me when I am hunting elk. But out of the dozens of elk I have killed and the hundreds of elk I have seen killed I can't say a 338 is any "better" at killing them than a 30-06, 270 or 7 Mag, as long as the elk are hit with a good bullet in the correct place.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Bigger kills only bear better, not elk.

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
More of a security blanket than anything else.

Elk don't try to kill humans as a rule and bears are not dangerous at all until they are close enough to touch you. So the power of the bigger rifles is for my comfort. At spitting distance I like the idea of a 270 grain bullet at rifle speed better than a 150 grain bullet at rifle speed.

The 270 is very good for hunting.
The 375H&H is better if you are hunted.

More power feels better in my hands when I am around a lot of bears. Which I am----------- nearly every season.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by nemotheangler

Wimp. I use a .58.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by nemotheangler

Wimp. I use a .58.

Haha touche

Molon Labe
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It’s funny how marginally smaller cartridges are fine for elk but never for bears. I’m fine with shooting an elk with a 6.5, but I don’t have illusions that it puts a bigger hole in a critter than a 338. End result, for the same placement, will be the same, but bigger might do it faster.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

No, I believe in penetration.

It's all in the bullet reaching the boiler room.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
More of a security blanket than anything else.

Elk don't try to kill humans as a rule and bears are not dangerous at all until they are close enough to touch you. So the power of the bigger rifles is for my comfort. At spitting distance I like the idea of a 270 grain bullet at rifle speed better than a 150 grain bullet at rifle speed.

The 270 is very good for hunting.
The 375H&H is better if you are hunted.

More power feels better in my hands when I am around a lot of bears. Which I am----------- nearly every season.

My old man dropped a charging Grizzly at bad breath range with a 130 grain something or other out of a .270 back in the 60's, but I have never ever had him tell me that he was glad he had that rifle and not the 300 H&H. A bigger hole, bore deeper, is always better when dealing with pissed off critters bent on destruction, as well as the less ideal shot angles at less than ideal ranges and in less than idea weather. I'm not saying that the .338 is my favorite, or the right choice for everybody, only that you are limiting yourself by choosing a lighter cartridge when you can handle one that can get the job done where others can't.

Last edited by ismith; 11/24/17.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

No argument there.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm two bulls for two shots from my 7mm-08. Both bullets were 140 grain Partitions started at 2875 fps. Both bulls were DRT.

My dad is 1/1 on a big 5x5 from his 7mm-08, 140 Accubond started at 2850 fps. Maybe 90' recovery.

My nephew killed a modest 5x6 this year with his 7mm-08, 150 ELDX at 2800 fps.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Given similar bullet construction....momentum of a heavier bullet will likely pay dividends, especially when bone is encountered.

.338's normally launch bullets with more mass. I have a 338, but haven't used it for elk (yet). 7mm's and 30's for me......heavy-for-caliber, well-constructed bullets. Get loose-enough fillings with those.

Momentum:
a property of a moving body that the body has by virtue of its mass and motion and that is equal to the product of the body's mass and velocity; broadly : a property of a moving body that determines the length of time required to bring it to rest when under the action of a constant force or moment.

At least no one brought up those VLD's in this thread.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
VLD = very low density (after impact)! There....I fixed it! grin memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/25/17.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by memtb
VLD = very low density (after impact)! There....I fixed it! grin memtb

Ironically, hunters shooting VLD's are very dense......

Uh oh.....this thread was very civilized up to this point. Sorry.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Over 50 with my old .270 and 130 partitions.......and a few with a 22-250. and a few with a 260. and this years was a 6.5 creed.....

Do you notice any real difference between the 270 and the 6.5s?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nope

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

smile memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/25/17.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

It's not a linear process. The "results" as a function of "power" curve flattens out after a while.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
A flat shooting cartridge in a bolt action rifle set up with short range, quick shots in mind.

This makes a LOT of sense. Take the lever guns if you want, but in my experience, "timber rifles" only make sense when you hunt a place that has nothing but timber, and that's generally dictated by property lines, not terrain and vegetation. There are plenty of places where you can step out of the timber and see elk far enough away that a lever gun isn't a good choice but you wouldn't think twice about using a bolt gun. Instead of doing your pre-hunt training with two completely different types of rifles, I'd put the extra time, money, and ammo into getting really fast with your bolt guns at close range. It's not that hard, and that particular skill will serve you well when you hunt deer or pigs. Here are a couple of examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4Cerq1Q_vE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WbpptdFiNE

I'd zero your two rifles at 200 yards with 160-grain Partitions. Set them up with 4x scopes, then start burning up ammo offhand and in field positions.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When Hunt America was going great guns with 50,000 hit a day I asked for people who had hunted two continents over twenty years with different cartridges if there was any noticeable difference in killing effectiveness in calibers from 6.5 and up. The general consensus was they didn't see any difference until they got BIGGER than .375H&H.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It's been mentioned more than once on this forum that John Haviland and his sons have killed over 30 elk with their 7mm-08s firing an assortment of 140 grain premium bullets. The 7x57 is essentially identical to the 7mm-08 and the .280 is roughly 200fps faster with the same bullets, so have perfect confidence that what you're using is just fine.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Dogger
Son and I hope to make our first venture out west for elk in 2019. Starting to do the research now for a do-it-yourself hunt; we realize chances of success are small, but just being out there in the high country is worth the experience. Anyway, our rifles are a Ruger Mark II in 7x57 and an M700 in 280 Remington. We will likely go with factory Partition loads unless we find the time to work up promising handloads. (Ok, one caveat, we are also bringing Marlin lever actions in 45/70 and 444 should the timber be the ...
all!!

I was along for the adventure with three different hunters over the last two weeks, all cow elk. All Montana breaks hunting. We do not shoot magnums and I can't think of any close friends shooting magnums, except one shooting a 257 weatherby for the last 30 years, on lots of elk.

1st was my brother, he is shooting a 270 Kimber Montana. We got into elk with the closest at 416 yards. He is an executive in Seattle so doesn't practice much- he missed. He went back into the same spot the next day and shot one at 200 yards.

My wife went into the same spot the very next day and shot a cow at 240 yards. But only after she missed at 340. They circled and bedded back down one ridge over.7mm-08 120 ttsx.

Saturday I took my 70 year old neighbor back into same spot. We found them at 400 but tried a sneak. We had them at 290 but they moved off to about 400. He missed with a 30-06 150.

My .02 is practice, both cartridges are more than adequate. It is all up to the nut behind the bolt. Practice builds confidence. A lighter recoil rifle makes practice far more pleasant. I try to get family to shoot 100 rounds a year, I am not successful. We all want to be deadly at any range but it takes practice. The worst feeling is laying down for the shot and thinking gosh I have never shot this far.

A range finder is really helpful, mountain or even prairie distances can be deceiving.

Exercise is probably my second suggestion. Sometimes a bit of hustle is really helpful. Break in the boots! My wife's Fitbit registered 14 miles on her hunt, seven miles the next day to take out meat.

I booked a bc moose hunt for 2019, I have the same questions on what cartridge.
I have my fingers crossed for the Whittakers special 280 Barrett Fieldcraft.

K

Last edited by KRAKMT; 11/26/17.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Killed the bull in my avatar with a .30-06 and a 168TTSX if I remember right. This years bull went down with a .270 and 150NP. Yours will do the same if you hit them right. I wouldn't change a thing, you probably shouldn't either.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
interesting replies, thanks. A summation of bullets referenced (roughly most to least): Partitions, Accubonds, TTSX, Nosler BT, Sierra Game Kings, Corelokts, ELD-X

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Son and I hope to make our first venture out west for elk in 2019. Starting to do the research now for a do-it-yourself hunt; we realize chances of success are small, but just being out there in the high country is worth the experience. Anyway, our rifles are a Ruger Mark II in 7x57 and an M700 in 280 Remington. We will likely go with factory Partition loads unless we find the time to work up promising handloads. (Ok, one caveat, we are also bringing Marlin lever actions in 45/70 and 444 should the timber be the destination)

Curious to hear from those who have successfully rifle hunted elk with non magnum chamberings in something less than 30 caliber.

My 12-year old son shoots a Savage Sierra in .308 Win. Factory loads in 150 gr knock him around pretty good. So I loaded a 150 gr. Partition to about 2500 fps.

One dead cow elk at about 150 yards, hard-quartering, frontal shot, punched through the sternum into chest cavity and beyond. Dropped at the shot. No doubt on a broadside shot would have done the job as well.

I shoot Federal Premium 140 grain partitions in my 7x57 (I also hand-load, but did not do so this year, as I got a couple of boxes of the factory rounds very cheaply). I have no problem shooting an elk with that, even though it's a mild load.

The 140 partition in the .280 is like more-better version of the 7x57. You could go up to a 160 Partition easily.

With my two kids, the main thing I felt was most important was a lot of practice rounds the summer preceding the fall hunting season. Range time, and hunting ground-squirrels with reduced loads all summer saw a big improvement in their shooting skills from field positions.

Regards,
Ben
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[quote=szihn]Physics?

I am to a point in my life that I enjoy the gun more then the caliber. If I have enough to do the job, that's all I care about as far as caliber goes, but the gun I carry has to please me in the hunting and carrying. So I don't really care what caliber I have as much as what bullet it's loaded with.

I'm at the same place "Young Man", ha. I love a lively rifle so I also match the size/power of the scope I put on it. My all time favorites are the 1x5 or 2x7, 2.5x8 size. We are talking elk hunting of course. Out on the short grass prairies where the wind blows me around, I like a heavier rifle with a bigger scope....but that's a rarity for me...most of my hunting is in mixed cover. I've only shot 3 cow elk out here, one at 135yds (running,I hate running shots too!) one at 200 and one at 250...that's it. I have shot Plains game in Namibia right at 375yds, and one Black Wildebeast at 347 in south Africa. All the other PG I took was between 30yds and 100yds or under. Yes, a couple at 250 but I could have gotten closer. But a rifle is ( or should be in my opinion) a very personal thing and a man should know his limits, not just for range but for the 'type of shots" he is most likely to get where he hunts. How quickly can he get in a solid shooting position, on target then pick the spot he wants to hit, squeeze instead of jerk the trigger and then keep shooting until the elk stops moving ,etc.? I call it "taking your time in a hurry". I personally just "like" to hit elk size animals with a lot of thump, I like to break them down "right there" if at all possible. For me, my favorites have been 300 Win Mag/180 Barnes; 338WM; 340W, 338 RUM, 35 Whelen AI and .375 H&HBut, but most of my hunting pards all use .308 (150gr), .270 (150gr), .280 (150PT) 30-06/180, 7mm Mag/160-175, 8x57/200gr, 7mm08/140, 6mm Remington/100gr, 240W/95PT, .243/Barnes 100, a couple 30-30s thrown in, ha. My personal rifles "right now" are a .270 BAR ( my "heavy" rifle), a 7x57 Mod 700 Classic, Ruger 77 All Weather a 338 Federal and I have another Ruger 77 in 338WM coming. So, the OPs 280/7x57 are most likely in a lively rifle that they are familiar with. I just am not aware of many choices in factory ammo in 7x57 with a strong bullet (like the Partition) at good speed except the Norma 156, Nosler 140E-Tip and the Hornady SF 139GMX',which is readily available via Internet ( I bought some Norma 156 through Cabela's but the two mono bullet loads are just fine IMO.) My one friend used the Federal Premium .280/150PT for years. Good luck and have a ball! smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 11/28/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Off the top of my head, I have killed elk with:

6mm Rem-100 grain Speer BTSP
.25-06 Rem-110 Accubond
6.5x284 NORMA-140 AMAX and 140 hunting berger
.270 Win-130 grain winchester factory loads and 150 grain speer hot cor.

As much as I dearly love my .340 WBY, I can't really say that any of the elk I have taken with standard sub-.30 rounds reacted any differently than they did when I used my .300 H&H, .340 Wby and .375 H&H, which I have killed elk with too. Bullets make much more difference than what round throws the bullet out there...but there's no reason to beat that dead horse.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I used to assume that bigger was better. I have since learned that bullets matter far more than headstamps, and that a 22 cal bullet through the vitals is going to kill just as quickly as a 45 cal bullet through the vitals, given some parameters regarding the bullets. In some instances, the 22 cal bullet is going to be MORE effective than a 45 cal bullet, even on elk-sized critters. Most of the elk I have seen killed or partaken in killing have dropped to sub-30's. Why is that? Because that's what we were carrying. I have also seen sub-30's fail on elk. an another shot be required, but it was not the fault of the caliber, but of the bullet. Putting an appropriately constructed bullet through the lungs of an elk is going to bring it down. More isn't necessarily better, because more isn't required. I can understand preferences and comfort factor and other subjective experiences being factors in one's personal decision, but attempts to justify those subjectives in objective terms are where these caliber arguments nearly always go astray.

As for bear, I'd likely want a bigger gun to use in a self-defense situation than I would carry for elk hunting. But I doubt a grizz would care if a .375" 270gr bullet broke his spine, or whether a 160 gr .284" bullet or 130 gr .277" bullet did. Either way, his attacking days have ended. And if the CNS is missed by either bullet, someone is likely getting maimed or killed.

So again, we are back to it: it's all about bullet construction and bullet placement, with headstamps and calibers not just taking the backseat, but stuck in the trailer being pulled behind. I'd not feel undergunned with pair of .284 cal rifles loaded with Partitions hunting for elk in bear country. Hell, the 7x57 has killed thousands of tons of elephant alone during its time in the field. And I do understand the desire to carry a big-bore lever gun into the timber, though it isn't required. I carried a 444 or 44 Mag in Marlins when pursuing elk this past season. It's fun, and they are very effective for close shots. Don't underestimate the Fun Factor!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Dodger: Good luck on next years venture!
I have killed Elk with my 280 Remington calibered Rifle and in fact did so with the wonderful Nosler 140 grain Partitions.
Haven't used the 7x57 to Hunt Elk with to date so won't recommend that - but the 280 Remington with carefully placed 140 grain Nosler Partitions WILL kill Elk.
Again best of luck to you two.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hunt them with a bow or muzzloader for a few years, then report on which center fire rifles and bullets you're disadvantaged with.

I can't count how many times I've wished for ANY rifle. Perspective I guess.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have never taken an elk. However, I have taken a large red deer stag with a 270 and 150 grain handload with no problems at all. A 30 caliber is not necessary - go hunt and have fun.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
...It is an insecure and illogical man that demands that others agree with him on his choice and things, thinks his chosen thing had special merit or virtue over and above the choice of other men's things.

This should be the banner at the top of every forum on this site.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

.......................................I believe that you will be just fine with your 280 and 7x57. I know many who have used non magnums smaller than 30 caliber.

On the next hunt in a year or two and for the first time using smaller than 30 cal I'll be using a 28 Nosler.......Hey! I don't see "magnum" after the 28 Nosler.....LOL

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Next fall I hope to get after elk again in Montana and it will probably be with my custom .284 which is really just a shorter .280. I've taken one with the 30/06 at 400+ yards although that bull needed a finisher -- my fault, not the 06's. I've also taken two cows, one with a 45 Colt and the other with a 45/70.

I was a "Magnum guy" for quite a while and took eleven bulls with 340 Wby and loved it for its effect. Even though it wasn't that heavy I got tired of its 8.5 lbs all-up . My .284, scoped, goes into ~ 6.3 lbs. I have no doubt about its effectiveness -- a 140- or a 150-gr bullet placed through the lungs will put the biggest bull asleep. And it will carry like a dream.

I may just call it good and shoot a rag horn so I can do some trout fishing.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
6.5 Swede. 127 LRX under 48 grains of 4831sc.

Bullet entered behind right eye and exited the same place on the off side. Golf ball size hole. Not sure I’d recommend the lrx for head shots specifically, but you take the shot you have.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Im no elk expert, but with todays awesome bullets calibers like 7mm/08 and 7x57mm I would think would do fine if you make good shots and don't expect the bullet to penetrate from stem to stern. I chose the 338wm for elk because #1-I'm not the least bit recoil shy I figured there is no down side to shooting a very powerful caliber like the 338wm and #2-With a premium bullet there is no such thing as a bad shot angle with a 225 grain .338 #3-EVERYTHING I read and every elk hunter I spoke with all said the 338wm is THE elk caliber back in 1993 when I bought my M700 in SST/SYN W/DBM.

Last edited by DTJager; 12/23/17.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

I shot a cow elk at 297 yards with 20" barreled 308 Win. Bullet was a 180 gr Nosler Solid Base.
Thru ribs and lungs, thru off side shoulder blade and lodged under off side hide.
Went down pretty quick,
She absorbed ALL the energy. Don't know why you need any more than that.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
my son killed a monster bull elk with his bow ,arrow went clean thru bull,elk went 125 yards fell over dead.typical 6x6 scores 380 b.c. its big.no you don`t need a big bore or a magnum to kill elk. my cow elk this year went 30 feet fell over dead shot with a bow.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DTJager
Im no elk expert, but with todays awesome bullets calibers like 7mm/08 and 7x57mm I would think would do fine if you make good shots and don't expect the bullet to penetrate from stem to stern. I chose the 338wm for elk because #1-I'm not the least bit recoil shy I figured there is no down side to shooting a very powerful caliber like the 338wm and #2-With a premium bullet there is no such thing as a bad shot angle with a 225 grain .338 #3-EVERYTHING I read and every elk hunter I spoke with all said the 338wm is THE elk caliber back in 1993 when I bought my M700 in SST/SYN W/DBM.

Actually......I've shot elk and witnessed elk shot from stern to stem with a 30-06, 270, and 7mmRM, and Partitions. And the one I shot with a 270 w/ 150 NPt was the heaviest bull I've ever killed and one of the heavier bulls I've ever seen killed--roughly 750-800 lbs.

I've watched my son shoot an elk from front portion of the hip to the front of the off shoulder with a 243 and a Partition.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rosco1
Hunt them with a bow or muzzloader for a few years, then report on which center fire rifles and bullets you're disadvantaged with.

I can't count how many times I've wished for ANY rifle. Perspective I guess.

Heck, I archery hunt with a recurve and wood shafts--I don't know how many times I wish I had a compound......... grin

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Forget the caliber, it's all about the bullet.

Also, when it comes to elk hunting you're most likely to find them at less than 100yds, but be prepared to shoot 400 yds. A "specialized' rifle is not what a guy wants to be carrying on most elk hunts.

One rifle--a general purpose rifle.

So far I've killed three critters this year--bear at 28 paces, cow elk at ~60 yds, and a bull at 40 yds--this is with a 270 and 150gr NPT's. A flat shooting cartridge in a bolt action rifle set up with short range, quick shots in mind.

Amen...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dogger, I like the fact that your focus is on having a great experience. As others have already posted, your choice of rifle's will do.
Over 20 years ago I was shopping for a do all rifle for my wife, and picked up a Ruger M77 MKII in 280 Rem. She has taken pronghorn, deer, elk, and moose with it. The moose and one elk with the Hornady 154 grn sp at under 50 yrds. One shot each. The rest largely were shot with 150 grn Nosler Partitions.
Good luck on your hunt!

Byron

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd honestly be more concerned about my socks and scope than the headstamp. I haven't used a magnum for the last 15 or so elk, some of which are 2-3 times farther away than many people feel comfortable shooting and I've not been disappointed.

If you jump an elk and it has a chance to run, barring a CNS hit....it's gonna run. If you pop one while feeding, it'll likely just tip over in its tracks.....be it a 243 or a 375.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The 7x57 works....

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hopefully I have the pics figured out....

Attached Images
2017-12-29 21.29.13.jpg (97.19 KB, 26 downloads)

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
The 7x57 works....

[Linked Image]

[quote=ingwe]The 7x57 works....

Funny camo

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
I think i remember hearing it said that more polar bears had been taken in the NA continent with a 270 than with any other gun.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
i thought it was the 222... perhaps that is seals...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1minute, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 280Jeff, 60 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,120
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.