Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dogger
... by chasing this cartridge and that cartridge and then this cartridge and then that cartridge and then that bullet and this bullet and that powder and this powder and that primer and this primer and that scope and this scope and that stock and this stock ... for the "perfect" cartridge for "that" application, anyone just go back to a reliable accurate 30-06 for all your big game chores?

or have i been indoors too long? haven't been out to hunt once yet this season

... by chasing this cartridge and that cartridge and then this cartridge and then that cartridge and then that bullet and this bullet and that powder and this powder and that primer and this primer and that scope and this scope and that stock and this stock ... for the "perfect" cartridge for "that" application, anyone just go back to a reliable accurate 30-06 for all your big game chores?

............................Maybe not indoors too much, but you might be thinking hypothetically a little bit too much?....So does your post mean or imply, that you are thinking about selling all your rifles and just have one 30-06 rifle to use for all of your hunting needs?

Well imo, one of the fun things to do when engaged in the sport of hunting and/or shooting, IS TO chase this cartridge and that cartridge, IS TO chase this powder and that powder, and IS TO chase this bullet and that bullet. Now if everyone shot and hunted with just one cartridge 30-06 or otherwise, then imo, that would make the hunting/shooting world pretty damned boring.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by jackmountain
And all in German/ finnish rifles! Waidmannsheil!

I like the quote attributed to John Barrymore..........

A man is not truly old until regrets take the place of dreams.

I tell folks that when I was born my folks were so broke that they could not afford a name, only initials.

My dad was not a hunter and only owned one fire-arm in his life.

As a boy (circa 1962) I'd read hand-me-down gun rags that I got from the kid down the street who's dad owned a manufacturing company, hunted and took numerous gun publications.

I swore at a young age that if I ever had the chance I would own some rifles. I would dream of rifles and hunting while growing up!

At 66 I still have dreams!

Having said that,

I'm a fan of the craftsmanship of different Euro rifles such as Blaser, Merkel, Sako, Sauer and Steyr rifles! Most any time I have the financial wherewithal to acquire one pre-enjoyed at a value, I do!

ya!

GWB

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GW, if you're ever looking for a son to adopt, I'm available! grin

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by okie john

I have.

In the last 10 years, I've been through a divorce, a couple of breakups, and several moves. As a result, I travel pretty light. Handloading is problematic for me right now, so after I recently snagged a stainless 30-06 Model 70 in a Bansner stock, I bought 1,000 rounds of 180-grain factory ammo and called it good. Still figuring out the right glass, but even with a fixed 4x this rig could take me a long way down the road. I might arrange for a twin in a lighter caliber if the opportunity presents itself, or I might just build a clone in 30-06 so I'll have a spare.

I hope to hunt all over the US in the next few years, and it's still a little easier to find 30-06 ammo than almost anything else, so that drove my choice. I've tested a lot of factory loads in this rifle and only ONE shoots so poorly that I'd hesitate to hunt with it.

Okie John

Women.....if it wasn't for that little furry thing between there legs we'd hunt em like coyote's 😁

That's sounds like a sweet rifle Okie John

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by okie john

I have.

In the last 10 years, I've been through a divorce, a couple of breakups, and several moves. As a result, I travel pretty light. Handloading is problematic for me right now, so after I recently snagged a stainless 30-06 Model 70 in a Bansner stock, I bought 1,000 rounds of 180-grain factory ammo and called it good. Still figuring out the right glass, but even with a fixed 4x this rig could take me a long way down the road. I might arrange for a twin in a lighter caliber if the opportunity presents itself, or I might just build a clone in 30-06 so I'll have a spare.

I hope to hunt all over the US in the next few years, and it's still a little easier to find 30-06 ammo than almost anything else, so that drove my choice. I've tested a lot of factory loads in this rifle and only ONE shoots so poorly that I'd hesitate to hunt with it.

Okie John

Women.....if it wasn't for that little furry thing between there legs we'd hunt em like coyote's 😁

Trystan

Not original with me, but being married to the same woman for nigh on 39 years, having a daughter, sister, and mom as well as female managers of my rent propeties, I can say with authority........

if it Flys, floats, faces the water or Fcuks, it's cheaper to rent it.
If it has tits or tires, there is gonna be problems!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I'm still enjoying the tinkering, but I don't delude myself into thinking that 1 cartridge or shooting platform is x% superior to any others. As I play with my latest toy, a 70 year old Savage 99 chambered for .300 Sav, I'm reminded that our forebearers had this [excrement] worked out long ago.

Dad spent his entire hunting life toting the same 7x57. I figure I'll have invested quite a bit of time & $ when I arrive at about the same place.

I've always known he was a genius.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Dogger,

I started my big game hunting career, at age 14, with a sporterized 03-A3 that my parents had given me for Christmas, along with a few hundred rounds of milsurp ball ammo. It is equipped with a peep sight. With this rifle, I took my first 6 mule deer, and a bunch of coyotes. Three of those deer were meat for a broke college kid. I still own that rifle, but don't shoot it anymore.

Once out of school, and with a real job, I began looking for new armament, and settled on a Parker Hale in 7mm Rem. Mag., which served me well for a couple of decades. At one time, I sold my old '06 to a friend, but seller's remorse took over, and I convinced him to sell it back to me, for sentimental reasons, I guess.

As my jobs began to pay more, I added more rifles to my collection, everything from .22-250, .220 Swift, .243, .25-06, .270, .280, another .'06, .257 and.300 Wby. mags, .270 WSM, .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .204 Ruger, and 7-30 Waters.

A few years ago, while planning for another African safari, I decided to add another .30-06, this time a Browning X-Bolt. Right out of the box, this rifle impressed me with its accuracy with factory ammo. With its 22" barrel, it is light, accurate, balances well, has very manageable recoil and a great trigger, and I have used it this fall to take three deer, so far. Right now, I am developing handloads for another safari to Africa, this time for small antelopes. Sure, it is not as flat shooting as some of my other rifles, but the addition of a Leupold CDS scope pretty much solves that problem out to any reasonable shooting ranges.

In short, if forced to give up all of my rifles save one, the Browning stands a good chance of being the one I'd keep.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Geedubya, I like your tastes. I've only had Blasers -- 3 models -- and Sauers. All were bespoke quality next to American fair generally
and no complaints with any as far as accuracy, and function and aesthetics either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
270, 243, sub $20/box ammo, phuqq the rest of it....

Now someone buy my 7 in the classifieds so I can be a true Elmer Fudd.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
... by chasing this cartridge and that cartridge and then this cartridge and then... for the "perfect" cartridge for "that" application, anyone just go back to a reliable accurate 30-06 for all your big game chores?

Never needed anything but the 7mm RM I started with. Now have a couple safes full of firearms but the 7mm RM is still one of the best.

That said, I somehow ended up with four .30-06s in the safe. (And two .308's.)

One of the .308's is an 18" AR. one is a 16.1" Ruger Scout. A 22" .308 bolt would be nice...

Probably. Go do some shooting!

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm trying to cure a case of the hot running wants for a Howa mini lightweight carbine in 6.5 grendel. I either need a vaccine or the rifle....

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 16bore

16bore,

I think I'm one step behind you as far as big game rifles are concerned. I've sold or given away most of my big game rifle, I think 17 altogether. I'm down to ONE rifle for big game my 6.5X55 Tikka T3. At this point my only move might be trading it off for a Barrett Fieldcraft. 😀

I'm a step behind in that I still load my own. I can't let go of the feeling a well tuned load gives though I know it isn't necessary. My main hunting handloads for the Swede pushes a 130 accubond at 2925 fps and 140 gr Hornady SP interlock at 2820 fps which I believe would be very comparable to a lot of 270 shelf ammo. I also have a 147 Eld-M load at 2730 fps mostly for play though I might use it to take a critter after I give those who are using it time to gather more data.

I'm rather enjoying the simpler way I have set myself up and I find myself doing far less "Load Development", working the trigger over, bedding, buying 37 scopes, different trigger, custom stock, bla bla bla, and far more "Loading and Shooting" which is what I love to do.

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 11/21/17.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've never chased after a perfect cartridge. First of all it doesn't exist. However, in 56 years of handloading I've derived immense pleasure and hopefully learned something "rollin' my own" for over 100 different cartridges. The last several years have been spent seeking out rifles chambered in cartridges that haven't seen the light of day in 100 years or more, forming or turning the brass, having custom molds made and developing loads for them. There is a plethora of fine cartridges that fell by the wayside simply from lack of popularity. Over the history of smokeless powder there is such a redundancy in cartridge ballistics I believe if a fella has seriously studied the topic the conclusion must be reached that there is truly a need for only about 4 cartridges...but what the heck fun would that be!?!?!?!?!?!?

Last edited by sharps4590; 11/21/17.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

16bore,

I think I'm one step behind you as far as big game rifles are concerned. I've sold or given away most of my big game rifle, I think 17 altogether. I'm down to ONE rifle for big game my 6.5X55 Tikka T3. At this point my only move might be trading it off for a Barrett Fieldcraft. 😀

I'm a step behind in that I still load my own. I can't let go of the feeling a well tuned load gives though I know it isn't necessary. My main hunting handloads for the Swede pushes a 130 accubond at 2925 fps and 140 gr Hornady SP interlock at 2820 fps which I believe would be very comparable to a lot of 270 shelf ammo. I also have a 147 Eld-M load at 2730 fps mostly for play though I might use it to take a critter after I give those who are using it time to gather more data.

I'm rather enjoying the simpler way I have set myself up and I find myself doing far less "Load Development", working the trigger over, bedding, buying 37 scopes, different trigger, custom stock, bla bla bla, and far more "Loading and Shooting" which is what I love to do.

Trystan

I got over load development when I saw the gal at Walmart put two boxes of ammo in bag.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

16bore,

Trystan

I got over load development when I saw the gal at Walmart put two boxes of ammo in bag.

I haven't seen the gal at WalMart yet but she must be pretty damn good looking. 😁

Trystan

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

It is. It'll be sweeter once I get the optics worked out.

[Linked Image]

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Part it out.

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
The Sauer 100 XT Classic in 6.5x55 has caught my eye. I have the bug.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A 30-06 and a reloading setup IS the dream! laugh

Don't like recoil? Back off the hammer and run starting loads with a soft 150 and you have a .300 savage.
Really don't like recoil? Hodgdon youth loads with 125 grain ballistic tip.

Want a "woods rifle". Load 30-30 bullets at 30-30 speeds.

Want to kill something big, and not get kicked too hard? 150 grain ttsx.

Want to kill a grizzer bear? Heavy Nosler Partition.

It is a swiss army knife cartridge.

Last edited by RJY66; 11/23/17.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've tried to like the 30-06, but just can't do it.

I primarily chase whitetails and there are tons of other cartridges that are more appealing to me. I also shoot quite a bit and the '06 doesn't excite me from the bench or backpack either.

No doubt it works well on the majority of NA game, but others work just as well. If I lived in another locale, where elk, moose and big bears were on the menu --- I'd probably still choose something else!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Problem is, nothing much works better than the -06, for a variety of scenarios.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,777 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.