Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I just got an email from Nosler saying the M48 Liberty rifles are on sale for $600 off, for a sale price of $1195. Has anyone held/shot these rifles? How it the fit, finish, and accuracy? I've been looking for a nice 280AI and they look pretty tempting.

GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
A guy on my lease has one. Looks well made. He says it’s very accurate.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by codybrown
I just got an email from Nosler saying the M48 Liberty rifles are on sale for $600 off, for a sale price of $1195. Has anyone held/shot these rifles? How it the fit, finish, and accuracy? I've been looking for a nice 280AI and they look pretty tempting.

First off, Google is your friend......

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2013/3/7/nosler-48-legacy/

numerous reviews on the web.

Aywho,

I've owned a lot of wood stocked rifles, but not a wood stocked Nosler 48.

I have owned two Nosler Custom Sporters. The first, which I still have is and is a hog thumper par excellence' is chambered for the 325 WSM Cartridge.

[Linked Image]

The second was chambered for the 270 WSM. It too was a sweet shooter. The only reason I sold it was that I was offere $6 Benjamins more than I paid for it.

I also have a Nosler Patriot, chambered for the 7mm-08. It originally belonged to JG Raider. I bought it from him here on the 'fire' IIRC

[Linked Image]

Some folk will give you jazz about the actions being a Howa. They are not.

The 325 WSM was my go to hog thumper for a couple years.

[Linked Image]

Accurate enough to nail small targets at 200 yds.

[Linked Image]

I had not shot the rifle in a year or so, before I decided to hunt it again. The target above is check for zero, first shot, cold barrel a couple days before I got a double on the javelina picutured above.

I don't think I have a picture handy of a group session with the Patriot. However with 140 Gr. Accubonds over 43 Gr. W-748 , it shoots minute of hoglet at 200 yds or less.

[Linked Image]

One can probably buy a less expensive wood stock rifle. Tikkas seem to be vey popular and accurate. However, even pre-enjoyed, I do not think you will find a significantly better deal on a Nosler 48 Legacy than the one mentioned above. You may not be able to make a profit when you decide to send it down the road, but what the hey.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 11/22/17.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I appreciate the info. I have googled them and have found various articles. I like to hear real world input from fellow shooters also though. It's good to hear you've had good luck with a few of them. As far as making a profit, I'm not worried about that. As long as it shoots well there will be no reason to send it down the road.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I do believe Mule Deer has owned at least one and maybe several Nosler model 48's. Perhaps he will chime in.

JG Raider owned the Patriot before I and perhaps he will chime in also.

Good luck whatever you decide.

ya!

GWB

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Muledeer has a 26 Nosler, pretty sure he likes it.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Tagging since a Nosler rifle is for sale locally.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
The three I have played with (two tgr’s and one patriot) all shot moa or better. All were in 300 win mag and shot the factory 180 accubond load very well. The grip on the stock is a little thick for my hands, but it is a good rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder if they do the additional military $100 off. Here's what they have built and ready to ship at their store.

http://shop.nosler.com/nosler-custom-rifles/rifles-ready-to-ship.html

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The grip on the Nosler I held felt like holding a beer can. Terrible stock ergonomics.

That being said, you might like it. But I'd recommend looking at one in person before buying.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
The grip on the Nosler I held felt like holding a beer can. Terrible stock ergonomics.

That being said, you might like it. But I'd recommend looking at one in person before buying.

I've heard several folks say that the Nosler stock felt "thick to them. I''m 5'8" medium build. Don't have especially large hands.

[Linked Image]

I've not found that to be the case, at least for me.

[Linked Image]

of course, YMMV.

Never hurts to fondle one. That will be the test for sure!

ya!

GWB

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I wonder if they do the additional military $100 off. Here's what they have built and ready to ship at their store.

http://shop.nosler.com/nosler-custom-rifles/rifles-ready-to-ship.html

Checked the link,

I'd bet this one would be a sweetie-pie!

http://shop.nosler.com/nosler-custo...pical-rifle-6-5-284-norma-26-barrel.html

if I'm gonna get a "go-faster", I appreciate a 26" barrel.

ya!

GWB

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Charlie, they way you're going, better factor in the price of another safe!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My buddy owns one in that caliber. Accurate and fit and finish is certainly what it should be on his rifle. It is a solid rifle and I think that price is a good deal.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I was interested in one until I learned that the bolt does not lock down with the safety when it is in the on position-that is a deal breaker for me. CP.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by geedubya
I do believe Mule Deer has owned at least one and maybe several Nosler model 48's. Perhaps he will chime in.

JG Raider owned the Patriot before I and perhaps he will chime in also.

Good luck whatever you decide.

ya!

GWB

GWB,
Thanks for your post and pictures. My local Sportsmens warehouse has two or three left that are on sale. Been sitting there a long time? They have one in a 26 Nosler Which looks kind of interesting.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
GWB speaks the truth on the Patriot he bought from me. It easily shot under MOA with AB's, BT's, and Partitions. That's the only bullets I tried in it. I feel it offers a quality product and high value, especially at the prices talked about here. Good luck, and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CP
I was interested in one until I learned that the bolt does not lock down with the safety when it is in the on position-that is a deal breaker for me. CP.

Oooh, I don't like that either. I did just sign up for an account following geedubya's link and got my $100 military discount.

With the sale price and an extra hundred off, I'm very tempted to snag one in .308.

Last edited by skeen; 11/23/17.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have two. One in a Nosler 26 and the other in a 338 Win Mag. They are both extremely accurate. They aren't the light ones like Geduya but they are great for hard use. They are a great deal at that price. I shot a mountain goat with my 26 Nosler. It killed it pretty easily at 330 yards with a spine shot. I shot him right after sundown and didn't have a camera with me. It was back at camp but I would have liked to have a camera to show damage. You don't lose sight picture at the shot. I really think 28 Nosler is an amazing caliber.

The Nosler has everything right. I have farmer's hands so the grip doesn't bother me a bit. I could hunt for the rest of my life with these two but I am in my prime of rifle lunacy so I have added more rifles since.

It would be freaking perfect if BACO had the Nosler folks put together the Model 70 rather than Vidalia in Portugal.

Last edited by kaboku68; 11/23/17. Reason: spelling in context and blanton's this fine day!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

I've heard several folks say that the Nosler stock felt "thick to them. I''m 5'8" medium build. Don't have especially large hands.

[Linked Image]

I've not found that to be the case, at least for me.

[Linked Image]

of course, YMMV.

Never hurts to fondle one. That will be the test for sure!

ya!

GWB

Yup owned a TGR in 30-06 for a short while. Shot good but didn’t fit me well enough. It was a little thick for me, I like thinner stocks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,168
Posts18,484,544
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.