Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
In 1975 a Remington 1100 went for round $175. We were in Carrols gun shop in Wharton Texas a few months later and saw a model 42 in the same condition of his with a $700 price tag. The price along with not having that Winchester anymore caused great remorse.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Yeah, the "good ole days", always a topic of interest.

I bet your Dad was sick over the 42 Win trade after he saw their value go thru the roof. But, hindsight is 20/20 as they say. Those rabbit hunts on cold winter days were a hoot. A friend had a pack of Beagles and he'd come out to my Dad's farm; we'd hunt swampers in the delta hardwoods. Fond memories.

DF

Hope he's not checking current prices...

DF

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Yeah they're proud of them

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great thread. Great story Vic, thanks for sharing.

Dirtfarmer, I love your Contender. I hunt rabbits with the same, just in the Encore platform.

My 12 gauge heirloom is a Mossberg 500. Back when I first got married I didn't have two nickels to rub together. I moved to upstate NY and at 23 found myself in shotgun country for deer. I only had a 30-30 Winchester and scoured the local gunshow for a cheap shotgun to use for deer season. paid $115 for a Mossberg 500 pump with a slug barrel and another $20 to a friend for a bird barrel for it. My neighbor took me under his wing and taught me about hound hunting and I used that gun for deer as well as all the hound hunting we did. Rabbit with beagles, fox and coyote with hounds. That was the only gun I used for YEARS!!!!

Fast forward and my son wants to use my shotgun for deer as I now use a revolver or Thompson Encore. He loves the history of the gun and has at this point taken 3 deer with that gun. Makes my heart warm to see him want to use his old mans gun and continue the tradition. I am still running beagles and he has taken a handful of cottontails and a snowshoe hare over them with it in addition to the squirrels he has taken with our Black Mouth Cur.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Robster
Great thread. Great story Vic, thanks for sharing.

Dirtfarmer, I love your Contender. I hunt rabbits with the same, just in the Encore platform.

My 12 gauge heirloom is a Mossberg 500. Back when I first got married I didn't have two nickels to rub together. I moved to upstate NY and at 23 found myself in shotgun country for deer. I only had a 30-30 Winchester and scoured the local gunshow for a cheap shotgun to use for deer season. paid $115 for a Mossberg 500 pump with a slug barrel and another $20 to a friend for a bird barrel for it. My neighbor took me under his wing and taught me about hound hunting and I used that gun for deer as well as all the hound hunting we did. Rabbit with beagles, fox and coyote with hounds. That was the only gun I used for YEARS!!!!

Fast forward and my son wants to use my shotgun for deer as I now use a revolver or Thompson Encore. He loves the history of the gun and has at this point taken 3 deer with that gun. Makes my heart warm to see him want to use his old mans gun and continue the tradition. I am still running beagles and he has taken a handful of cottontails and a snowshoe hare over them with it in addition to the squirrels he has taken with our Black Mouth Cur.

I enjoyed reading that.

Black Mouth Cur caught my attention. Down here we have the Catahoula cur and I've heard the old timers say those with a black mouth were the smartest. These curs have glass eyes or sometimes one glass eye, are often brindle colored. Tell us about your cur.

DF

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Dad wouldn't have a dog if it didn't have a black mouth.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
great thread. I learned to hunt along the Navidad River in Lavaca county. lots of fox squirrels there in the 60s and 70s. I used a Remington Model 17 that was my grandfather's main meat getter back then.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by kid0917
great thread. I learned to hunt along the Navidad River in Lavaca county. lots of fox squirrels there in the 60s and 70s. I used a Remington Model 17 that was my grandfather's main meat getter back then.

Beautiful river bottom , some of those Live Oaks are hundreds of years old.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Another good rabbit chasing gun. Very handy with a sling.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I guess I should have titled this tread "Squirrel hunting with a shotgun"

My first Squirrel killed was with a 12 ga. After that I tried my 20 ga, 28 ga & 410. None could reach the top of the 85' pine trees & cut thru the foliage, in deep East Texas, like that 12 ga. That was 1985. I prefer squirrel hunting to any other.

Here is My 60th birthday present. I won't assemble it until then on May 9th 2018

[Linked Image]

My 58th b-day presents to myself was a 1965 Browning Auto 5 still in the box. I bought it a VR 26" Invector barrel. I assembled it last October and took it on its first hunt. There is not a man in the woods more proud of his shotgun than when I pack my Auto 5 hunting.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Belgian Auto Five shotguns have class...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I guess I should have titled this tread "Squirrel hunting with a shotgun"

My first Squirrel killed was with a 12 ga. After that I tried my 20 ga, 28 ga & 410. None could reach the top of the 85' pine trees & cut thru the foliage, in deep East Texas, like that 12 ga. That was 1985. I prefer squirrel hunting to any other.

Here is My 60th birthday present. I won't assemble it until then on May 9th 2018

[Linked Image]

My 58th b-day presents to myself was a 1965 Browning Auto 5 still in the box. I bought it a VR 26" Invector barrel. I assembled it last October and took it on its first hunt. There is not a man in the woods more proud of his shotgun than when I pack my Auto 5 hunting.

Did you take it to the woods in deep east Texas ?

Last edited by louiethedrifter; 12/01/17.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 219DW, 204guy, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,863
Posts18,517,866
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.