Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Measuring Group size..... and using a reticle as a measuring device to gauge hits/misses/wind/etc.... have nothing to do with each other.

These are actual field conversations..... involving Mil vs. MOA.

Spotter: that hit about a half mil low.... and maybe add another .1 or .2 in wind.
Shoot: adding .5 mil..... holding an extra .2 in right wind.
Spotter: HIT!

Vs.

Spotter: that hit about a foot low and 4” left.
Shooter: Ok..... that’s 600 yards, so 1 MOA equals 6” at that range. Devide the 12” by 6”, that equals 2 MOA adjustment. Add 2 MOA.... holding an extra 4” (I think) of wind.
Spotter: It’s long gone bro......

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Another benefit of the mil system is that the reticle can be used as an intuitive BDC reticle. For example, a 308 with 165-168s at around 2700-2750 and zeroed at the right distance will line up the dots quite nicely: 1 mil = 300 yards, 2 mil = 400, 3 mil = 500. Flatter shooting cartridges can be zeroed with 1 mil @ 350, 2 mil @ 450. An MOA reticle doesn't work nearly as smoothly in this regard.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Another benefit of the mil system is that the reticle can be used as an intuitive BDC reticle. For example, a 308 with 165-168s at around 2700-2750 and zeroed at the right distance will line up the dots quite nicely: 1 mil = 300 yards, 2 mil = 400, 3 mil = 500. Flatter shooting cartridges can be zeroed with 1 mil @ 350, 2 mil @ 450. An MOA reticle doesn't work nearly as smoothly in this regard.

Yup, and no sending off for a new dial when you move the scope to another rifle or change your load.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
What optic is the spotter using to determine mils?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959
I have 3 SWFA scopes with the mil quad reticle and really like them. But for my old eyes, the reticle could stand to be a little thicker....

I agree. I really can't even use the fine cross marks. I like the scopes, though.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
What optic is the spotter using to determine mils?

A spotting scope or binos with a reticle.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Or the spotter's rifle with a mil scope.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Spotting your own shots through your own scope is pretty fuggin easy too.... If you let it be.

A lot of that has to do with not being overgunned, over X'd, and good shooting form and follow through. Wish I had a dollar for everytime I've heard...there's no way I can shoot that far and see my impacts with a 6x-10x. Doesn't take a full mag for them to see the light and walk their shots in with minor corrections if need be.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Though the Lone Wolf Mcquade spotting technique is used by true bad azzes. wink

[Linked Image]

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The more appropriate comparison between mils and mins is this:

Spotter: That hit half a mil low and 2 tenths right
Shooter: Adjusting up .5 and left .2

Spotter: That hit 2 minutes low and about a minute and a half right
Shooter: Adjusting up 2 minutes and left 1 1/2 min

In case you didn't catch it, the difference is whether you prefer to think, talk, and adjust in tenths or in halves (A minute is the base, then half a minute, then half a half is a quarter. See?).

Personally I find some folks are more tempted to switch to inches when they're looking at and adjusting in minutes. That's a problem, for reasons covered previously and MANY times on the forum here. Maybe mils help break that habit? I'm not sure that's the case, but _maybe_(?).

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MZ5

Personally I find some folks are more tempted to switch to inches when they're looking at and adjusting in minutes. That's a problem, for reasons covered previously and MANY times on the forum here. Maybe mils help break that habit? I'm not sure that's the case, but _maybe_(?).

When guys start talking mils, it's because there are delineations on the reticle being used. Not always true with MOA as some yahoo is bound to show up with a standard duplex which is typically when the inches and feet wind calls start coming out.

But yeah, I'd agree that mils is enough of a head change to break away from the inches wind calls.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joshf303
Spotting your own shots through your own scope is pretty fuggin easy too.... If you let it be.

A lot of that has to do with not being overgunned, over X'd, and good shooting form and follow through. Wish I had a dollar for everytime I've heard...there's no way I can shoot that far and see my impacts with a 6x-10x. Doesn't take a full mag for them to see the light and walk their shots in with minor corrections if need be.

This is the method I use.^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by MZ5

When guys start talking mils, it's because there are delineations on the reticle being used. Not always true with MOA as some yahoo is bound to show up with a standard duplex which is typically when the inches and feet wind calls start coming out.

But yeah, I'd agree that mils is enough of a head change to break away from the inches wind calls.

Millennial.....grin....

I'm sure Dog knows the breakdown of minutes and maybe worded or structured that post wrong MZ5. I think he was trying to make the same point as you are in that keeping "inches" out of any correction verbiage keeps simple things....simple.

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I agree with you, joshf303. My post was intended not to contradict, but to elaborate. There’s nothing magic about the unit of measure used. Thus, neither mils nor mins are ‘better.’ So long as you:

Stick with angular measure rather than linear,
Use either a FFP reticle or a fixed-power scope,
Use a scope with a regularly-marked reticle, and
Use a scope whose adjustments match those reticle marks

Then it makes no difference what units you use. Too bad nobody makes durable, lightweight, compact, low-profile scopes that meet those criteria.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
99.9% of the time I shoot by myself, so a spotter is not even in the equation.

Shoot, spot, dial to the impact, and shoot again, no measuring involved.

Does everyone need someone to tell them when to send it.......

grin

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Leave the math out. Match the reticle to the turret. Spot your own shots.

bout sums it up....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd say so.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 37 invisible), 2,170 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,125
Posts18,483,808
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.