Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
GB is publicizing the giveaway of a matte finished Python lately. I haven't even looked into the giveaway, but not just because I know the odds of winning are so slim.

In my mind, a Colt revolver with anything but a beautiful, deep blue finish cannot be a Python---except maybe a stainless model, which I can somewhat grudgingly acknowledge to be a Stainlesspython. A matte finish just seems terribly WRONG to me. I think Colt should have done whatever would have been necessary to keep a crew who could produce the classic deep blue finish on the job.

A matte finished Python appeals to me like a BLT with no bacon on it.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
ya thats like the matte finish that remington and marlin has on their guns now. ugly as hell and attracts rust like sanded iron. if it ain't stainless or nickle, i want polished blue.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Over Three grand for a matte revolver with rubber grips?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have a blue one that has some wear. Nickel one looks brand new. Much prefer the blued one, always felt like a damned pimp using the nickel one.

Hey we drew a mustache on the Mona Lisa ! How’s she look. Matte finished python? Pffft

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Never understood the allure of a Python? Backwards cylinder release, cylinder turns the wrong way, and piss poor double action. Stacked against an older, smooth S&W revolver, a Python won't make a pimple on a M19s azz.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A Python in a matte finish? That's just plain wrong.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I had a Colt Trooper 357 when I was in high school back in the 60's. It broke me from ever wanting another double action Colt. A S&W was so much easier to get worked on and less expensive too.

Harry
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
OP,

I agree.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
In truth, you couldn't give me another gun. Not a Colt, because I have four in the safe, an Anaconda in .45 Colt; a very accurate New Frontier in .45 Colt, and my wife's custom 1911 and Woodsman Match Target. Problem isn't with Colts, I carried an old model 6" Trooper for years as a duty piece that was worked over by F. Bob Chow back in the day; the problem is with the hassle of accepting a prize handgun in California. It just isn't worth all the rigmarole, renewing a handgun safety card, paying the registration fee, whatever tax, and then waiting the ten days to take possession. Not to mention there is no more room in the safes. At some point, we have everything we need, and giveaways, and raffles, loose their attractiveness, unless they are for charities we support, then I'd simply refuse the prize should I win it, and let someone else have the fun of winning.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
In truth, you couldn't give me another gun. Not a Colt, because I have four in the safe, an Anaconda in .45 Colt; a very accurate New Frontier in .45 Colt, and my wife's custom 1911 and Woodsman Match Target. Problem isn't with Colts, I carried an old model 6" Trooper for years as a duty piece that was worked over by F. Bob Chow back in the day; the problem is with the hassle of accepting a prize handgun in California. It just isn't worth all the rigmarole, renewing a handgun safety card, paying the registration fee, whatever tax, and then waiting the ten days to take possession. Not to mention there is no more room in the safes. At some point, we have everything we need, and giveaways, and raffles, loose their attractiveness, unless they are for charities we support, then I'd simply refuse the prize should I win it, and let someone else have the fun of winning.

That is cool. I have a Model 28 worked on by Bob Chow. It is my safe queen.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I love Colt 1911's , I would not use a Python for daily use. My brother owned close to 30 pythons at one point and he made a nice ROI when he sold them .

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Jefe,
Have you ever shot any Pythons?

I have many Smiths, from vintage K 22's to the 29's . Cannot do much with the 53's, and I like them all.. Most have ben dialed in by Denny at SandBurr Ranch ??? in Rochester, In.

I would NEVER knock the Smiths........."course every one CANNOT own a Python.

My Pythons do not need to be smoothed up.

I have owned a couple Pythons that had to have the "hand " replaced.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think the Colt Python is the most overrated handgun, ever.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
That is what shooters say that cannot own one !

That is ekzakly what I think about CZ's.....with ALL the Quality the CZECHS can muster.

Who wants that last piece of turkey?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RiverRider

The problem is today's buyer has no taste. If that wasn't true, there wouldn't be so many stainless/plastic guns. The industry is about sales, not class...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by cisco1
That is what shooters say that cannot own one !

That is ekzakly what I think about CZ's.....with ALL the Quality the CZECHS can muster.

Who wants that last piece of turkey?

I owned and shot one for years. Overrated.

Pass the Smith and hold the turkey.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by RiverRider

The problem is today's buyer has no taste. If that wasn't true, there wouldn't be so many stainless/plastic guns. The industry is about sales, not class...

I'm gonna go look for that SAA today.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
Never understood the allure of a Python? Backwards cylinder release, cylinder turns the wrong way, and piss poor double action. Stacked against an older, smooth S&W revolver, a Python won't make a pimple on a M19s azz.

I have to agree, right now out in the safe I have a 6" Python and a 6" S&W 19. I find the cylinder release on the Python awkward (but maybe I'm just used to S&W) the trigger pull on the 19 smoother, and the weight of the Python excessive. Most likely the Python is a stronger handgun, but I have shot a couple of boxes of Buffalo Bore in the 19, and it handled them fine, no excessive recoil. People talk about the deep blue finish of the Python, but side by side the finish on the 19 seems to have more luster.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have shot a Python, I also shot competitively for 35 years on state, national and international level, the last 10 of that run, exclusively in revolver competition.
In all that time, I saw exactly one Python used, that was at the "Steel Challenge", used by the late gun scribe Dave Arnold, and his first draw, on the first stage, it cart wheeled out of his hand on the draw, and landed in the dust....good place for it, at least in a competitive sense.
No doubt, I wished I had squirreled a half dozen away in my youth for resale, but for actual "use", by that I mean double action shooting as they were intended, they are vastly inferior to a Smith.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cant find this on the internet

Molan Labe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,919 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,796
Posts18,477,396
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.