-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guns going off unexpectedly and bolt handles falling off rifles don't do much to buoy consumer confidence. I'll look at other brands beside Big Green these days.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Yep...I bought one of the damn POS about ten months back and it doesn't shoot for s hit! This is the best I can make it do for ten rounds fired from 900 yards:

[Linked Image]308 Win/Remington M700 factory barrel/action by Sharps Man, on Flickr

😎

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With 6.5 being the caliber du jour and short actions all the rage, I'm thinking they could introduce a .264 based on a .308 case - standard 20 degree shoulder, 1 in 9 compromise twist with a max OAL of 2.9" or a tad longer. Two loads should be sufficient, a 100 grain for varmint shooters and a 160 for traditionalists. I'd name it something catchy like 264 Remington or such, definitely NOT use the metric 6.5 designation which is the kiss of death in America, then chamber it in a good heavy rifle like their Varmint Special and a woods carbine like an 18" barreled 760. They could even get sneaky and give the rifles a radically shaped barrel, like make it square or triangular in cross section.

They'd be king of the hill in short order....

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by moosemike
Disagree. I have three new Marlins bought in the last two years and the quality is good.

Glad they're working out for you...

I was hoping to snag a Marlin 70PSS "Papoose" last year (or so?) and couldn't locate one. Now it seems they're back and available, but they are *spendy*.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Never had one in my safe, never will, and wouldn't miss them a bit.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 325Abn
Originally Posted by moosemike
Disagree. I have three new Marlins bought in the last two years and the quality is good.

Glad they're working out for you...

I was hoping to snag a Marlin 70PSS "Papoose" last year (or so?) and couldn't locate one. Now it seems they're back and available, but they are *spendy*.

Well it's 2017, not 1997... Prices do go up over time you know...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Three30Eight
My guess is that the 700, 870, versamax, and v3 will not go away. They are all too good of products regardless...best in class. Worst case is that someone buys the company closes Illion and makes those models elsewhere...just like Winchester

The real question is are consumers willing to pay what it will cost to build them to the quality desired? I think too often we as consumers think of guns holding a certain price point and ignore that inflation should be driving up the prices over the years. I don't think many people think of a 700 SPS as a $750 rifle or a polished blued 700 as a $1000 rifle, but that might just be what it needs to be priced at to get the quality where we want it. With Ruger Americans and Savages shooting as accurately as 700's at a much lower price, the 700 is in a precarious spot of no longer a budget rifle and not a high grade rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those thinking Remington's quality has taken a turn for the worse, what kind of time frame are we talking about? Five years ago, ten, 15?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
5 to 10 years ago. They moved plants, lost experienced people.

As for capitalism; a good capatalist makes a needed product, sells it, and when he leaves, the core value of the article and company is there, and the economy is sound. This more like exploitation, fraud, raiding, greed.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
With 6.5 being the caliber du jour and short actions all the rage, I'm thinking they could introduce a .264 based on a .308 case - standard 20 degree shoulder, 1 in 9 compromise twist with a max OAL of 2.9" or a ta longer. Two loads should be sufficient, a 100 grain for varmint shooters and a 160 for traditionalists. I'd name it something catchy like 264 Remington or such, definitely NOT use the metric 6.5 designation which is the kiss of death in America, then chamber it in a good heavy rifle like their Varmint Special and a woods carbine like an 18" barreled 760. They could even get sneaky and give the rifles a radically shaped barrel, like make it square or triangular in cross section.

smile frown

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Attached is an article that may shed some light into the Freedom Group and Remington.

ARTICLE

It’s sad that many of America’s great firearm companies are so poorly managed, but investor greed has a lot to do with these problems. Remington, Colt, Winchester (until the FN takeover) have had and are continuing to suffer under poor management. Many of these investors are more interested in milking these companies for all their worth rather than producing quality products.

Many years ago, Remington produced quality firearms and ammunition. I know many people are happy with their new(er) Remington firearms and I know this may be an unpopular view, but I believe that today, their rifles are built to a price point that favors maximum profit over both safety and quality (the ongoing 700 trigger debacle comes to mind). This is the root of Remington’s problems, coupled with the aforementioned investor greed. The only Remington ammunition I will even consider purchasing is the .45 ACP UMC and Golden Saber, but I’m reluctant to purchase any Remington ammunition at all. Their .22 and rifle ammo is crap in my estimation – .22 squibs are too numerous to count and I have experienced several blown primers in their rifle ammunition, which badly damaged the bolt face on my rifle and easily could have caused serious injury had I not been wearing shooting glasses. The numerous problems associated with Marlin firearms since the Remington takeover have supposedly been addressed, but I certainly wouldn’t take a chance. Any Marlins I purchase would have to be JM stamped.

For the last 2 years, Cerberus has been unable to sell Remington Outdoor (formerly Freedom Group) and they recently announced that they will allow their investors to cash out, which essentially is an admission that they will have to hold onto the investment for the foreseeable future. What that means for the future of Remington Outdoors, only time will tell, but I don’t see how an investment firm that has wanted to unload Remington Outdoors for the past two years has any motivation at all to improve either management or quality.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Would this affect Marlin, too? It sounds like it would but how the companies and ownership are structured is unknown to me.

Retired cat herder.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Higbean
For them to not be thriving after eight years of Obama sure is a sign of how fugging stupid they are.

They were thriving under Obama--profit of 150 mil in 2016. They've lost 50 mil as of the end of this August though. Every other big firearm manufacturer is suffering, along with most other shooting related manufacturers too. Remington's quality has improved quite a bit the last 4-5 years, and the current 700's are arguably the most accurate ever.

For firearm enthusiasts the demise of Remington would have consequences that none of us will like.

But after 8 years of Clinton, the election of Bush had similar impacts on the shooting industry, and most survived...........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by g5m
Would this affect Marlin, too?

I sure hope not. The passing of Marlin would be the passing of a piece of America as we knew it.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I guess the 'handle' fell off the company.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Attached is an article that may shed some light into the Freedom Group and Remington.

ARTICLE

It’s sad that many of America’s great firearm companies are so poorly managed, but investor greed has a lot to do with these problems. Remington, Colt, Winchester (until the FN takeover) have had and are continuing to suffer under poor management. Many of these investors are more interested in milking these companies for all their worth rather than producing quality products.

Many years ago, Remington produced quality firearms and ammunition. I know many people are happy with their new(er) Remington firearms and I know this may be an unpopular view, but I believe that today, their rifles are built to a price point that favors maximum profit over both safety and quality (the ongoing 700 trigger debacle comes to mind). This is the root of Remington’s problems, coupled with the aforementioned investor greed. The only Remington ammunition I will even consider purchasing is the .45 ACP UMC and Golden Saber, but I’m reluctant to purchase any Remington ammunition at all. Their .22 and rifle ammo is crap in my estimation – .22 squibs are too numerous to count and I have experienced several blown primers in their rifle ammunition, which badly damaged the bolt face on my rifle and easily could have caused serious injury had I not been wearing shooting glasses. The numerous problems associated with Marlin firearms since the Remington takeover have supposedly been addressed, but I certainly wouldn’t take a chance. Any Marlins I purchase would have to be JM stamped.

For the last 2 years, Cerberus has been unable to sell Remington Outdoor (formerly Freedom Group) and they recently announced that they will allow their investors to cash out, which essentially is an admission that they will have to hold onto the investment for the foreseeable future. What that means for the future of Remington Outdoors, only time will tell, but I don’t see how an investment firm that has wanted to unload Remington Outdoors for the past two years has any motivation at all to improve either management or quality.

Keep in mind, in the late 50's Remington was doing so poorly DuPont bought them so they could continue to sell ammo (because Korea was over and ammo manufacturers needed to focus on selling ammo to civilian markets). And Winchester was doing so poorly (maybe it was poorly made Winchesters........) Olin Ammunition followed suit--and changed the manufacturing process to boot. Ever hear of pre-64 Winchesters?--in reality it should be called pre-Olin Winchesters.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
With 6.5 being the caliber du jour and short actions all the rage, I'm thinking they could introduce a .264 based on a .308 case - standard 20 degree shoulder, 1 in 9 compromise twist with a max OAL of 2.9" or a tad longer. Two loads should be sufficient, a 100 grain for varmint shooters and a 160 for traditionalists. I'd name it something catchy like 264 Remington or such, definitely NOT use the metric 6.5 designation which is the kiss of death in America, then chamber it in a good heavy rifle like their Varmint Special and a woods carbine like an 18" barreled 760. They could even get sneaky and give the rifles a radically shaped barrel, like make it square or triangular in cross section.

Brilliant! By gum you're on to something!!!

Oh wait............
smile

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=Higbean]For them to not be thriving after eight years of Obama sure is a sign of how fugging stupid they are

You are absolutely right the only year they sales were higher than this year was last year. Guess the bean counters have really screwed the dog on this one. cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Once Remington is run through bankruptcy restructuring they’ll be easier to sell or run profitably. My wish is it gets sold to someone interested in making guns long term but with the amount of money involved it will probably be another investment group interested in sucking every last dime possible and repeating the process all over again. Buy the company , sell off some parts and buy some other new companies to add to the mix , find some pension fund to buy their bonds at a premium based on fluffed numbers and AAA+++ ratings from a ratings agency that is the equivalent of a political pollster , load up the debt until it crushes the company while sucking every last penny out with all kinds of management consulting fees , profit distributions , and bonuses. When the cycle is complete they run it through bankruptcy again and screw all the dopey institutional investors who should know better. Actually the institutional inversters do know but it’s not their money , it’s just some workers retirement money, so who cares ? The retirement fund managers have a pile of cash come in every month and it’s hard work trying to find a good investment. They just throw the money into bonds they know are losers despite being rated AAA+++ and collect their paycheck and bonuses no matter how much they lose. Wall Street is a sick place run by sociopaths.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (06hunter59, 1minute, 2500HD, 222Sako, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,645 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,915
Posts18,498,329
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.