Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Remington is now reaping the seeds of poor quality.

Oregon is having the same problem smile

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Won't miss the current outfit one bit. I would hate to see the Marlins disappear as a side-effect though.

Much like what Colt did. I'm interested in a 700 but the prices are high and quality is suspect. The barrel twists need to change. I hope they get their act together.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I hope not

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My guess is that the 700, 870, versamax, and v3 will not go away. They are all too good of products regardless...best in class. Worst case is that someone buys the company closes Illion and makes those models elsewhere...just like Winchester

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Over the last several years, I have seen some poor quality control from them. That is what happens when companies become conglomerates run by stock people, instead of the real knowledge. The same thing happened when Cabelas went public. Luckily, Bass Pro stepped up, but that store sure is not what it used to be. Their reloading section sucks, as does the gun care/cleaning section. A business can get too big, sometimes.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
No love for capitalism?

There is a good and bad side to everything.

Remington was taken over by paper pushers , the ultimate capitialists, not producers.
The former employees lost their jobs, local support business lost income, when they moved.
Quality fell, customers lost.
If they fold, debtors lost, current employees loose, local economy will suffer.

Wall Street will make money off that.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 11/24/17. Reason: Nasty

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kwg020
[quote=Pappy348]Won't miss the current outfit one bit. I would hate to see the Marlins disappear as a side-effect though.

Yeah for the Marlin fiasco i'm shopping Henry Arms (45-70 lever). I had a "real" Marlin 1895 about 20 years ago. I had to move it along to finance grad school... I've since been looking to replace it, but the new "Marlins" are but a shadow of the quality of yesteryear. Meanwhile, Henry Arms has resurrected itself and their 45-70 is very nice quality (i'm ordering after the 2017 tax year is over...).

Much like what Colt did. I'm interested in a 700 but the prices are high and quality is suspect. The barrel twists need to change. I hope they get their act together.

kwg

I'm wanting to get my son his 1st rifle. Was hoping the factory Rem 700's would still be top quality (or thereabouts). Nope. Sooooo, he'll be getting a Rem 700 receiver that's been trued/blue printed and mated to a new Bartlein, Brux or Kreiger instead. A few more $$$, but will accomplish the goal.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Yep...I bought one of the damn POS about ten months back and it doesn't shoot for s hit! This is the best I can make it do for ten rounds fired from 900 yards:

[Linked Image]308 Win/Remington M700 factory barrel/action by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Assuming that is 3/4" or 1" rebar for scale, and that is 10 rounds at a lazered 900 yards, I'd say you might want to go to the Willimsport 1,000 yard rifle club and give it a whirl...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by sawbuck
I bought a Rem custom shop 700 earlier this month, couldn't be happier with it.

The word I got was they are churning out the truest actions ever due to new, modern equipment.

Yep their quality has improved a lot , but they are run by financial analysts not sportsmen.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by sawbuck
I bought a Rem custom shop 700 earlier this month, couldn't be happier with it.

The word I got was they are churning out the truest actions ever due to new, modern equipment.

Yep their quality has improved a lot , but they are run by financial analysts not sportsmen.

Nothing wrong with financial analysts if they're employed by people who want the company to grow/improve/etc.

The problem is when the financial analysts are employed by marauders who simply want to extract as much cash outta their investment as possible for as long as possible.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Let Remington close it’s manufacturing doors and allow someone to license the rights to use the name. Someone who will return the top notch quality of yesteryear and pay close attention to what the firearms market is asking for. Remington can be great again. MRGA!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Let Remington close it’s manufacturing doors and allow someone to license the rights to use the name. Someone who will return the top notch quality of yesteryear and pay close attention to what the firearms market is asking for. Remington can be great again. MRGA!

That is how I see it basically. I would really like to add a 700 or two to my collection, but I don't think I'm gonna take that gamble right now. I will just wait and see what happens.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Remington going bankrupt might not be a bad thing. The bond holders would take over the company and Cerberus would loose control. Perhaps new management might make a difference.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my first thought when reading this was how in the world did they get into this kind of shape 1 year removed from the Obama years? Money must have been falling out of the sky for them since 2008.

That said, I have several guns, none of them are a Remington (although I do have 2 Marlins pre-Remington)

Last edited by KFWA; 11/24/17.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by KFWA
my first thought when reading this was how in the world did they get into this kind of shape 1 year removed from the Obama years? Money must have been falling out of the sky for them since 2008.

That said, I have several guns, none of them are a Remington (although I do have 2 Marlins pre-Remington)

Remington's problem is they don't make what selling well right now.

The current craze is small, plastic striker fired carry guns like the Smith Shield, Springfield XDS, and Walther PPS series of pistols.

Remington bought at least 2 AR producers at the end of the AR craze, so they missed with their timing. Although they are developing a new line of plastic wonder guns, chances are they won't be ready for market until the market trends have changed.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep...I bought one of the damn POS about ten months back and it doesn't shoot for s hit! This is the best I can make it do for ten rounds fired from 900 yards:

[Linked Image]308 Win/Remington M700 factory barrel/action by Sharps Man, on Flickr

i'd demand my money back! grin
care to share the loads?

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remington has always been slow to make what's hot. Many years ago, it wasn't much of a problem, but it is in this day and age we live in. If I'm counting right, I have eight 700's and 7's in my safe. With the exception of one that I haven't shot much, they all will shoot as good as I would want a rifle to. I'd rank a couple of them up there with as good as I've seen. One was made in the 70's, the rest in the past 10 years or so. A couple of them do not have the nice smooth action as does my 700 Classic that was purchased in 1979, but they are every bit as accurate. I would sincerely hope that Remington is able to keep in production.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 325Abn
[quote=Pappy348]Won't miss the current outfit one bit. I would hate to see the Marlins disappear as a side-effect though.

Yeah for the Marlin fiasco i'm shopping Henry Arms (45-70 lever). I had a "real" Marlin 1895 about 20 years ago. I had to move it along to finance grad school... I've since been looking to replace it, but the new "Marlins" are but a shadow of the quality of yesteryear. Meanwhile, Henry Arms has resurrected itself and their 45-70 is very nice quality (i'm ordering after the 2017 tax year is over...).

kwg

I'm wanting to get my son his 1st rifle. Was hoping the factory Rem 700's would still be top quality (or thereabouts). Nope. Sooooo, he'll be getting a Rem 700 receiver that's been trued/blue printed and mated to a new Bartlein, Brux or Kreiger instead. A few more $$$, but will accomplish the goal.

Disagree. I have three new Marlins bought in the last two years and the quality is good.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Orion2000

Assuming that is 3/4" or 1" rebar for scale, and that is 10 rounds at a lazered 900 yards, I'd say you might want to go to the Willimsport 1,000 yard rifle club and give it a whirl...

It ain't 'close'.....it's perzackly 900 yards! And I shot NRA HP comp for nigh onto 50 years so I don't have a thing to prove to anybody!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remington is privately held.
They have some junk bonds out there.
Looks like the owners sucked every nickel out of the place.

I built myself two 1965 rem 700s in 2017: 6.5-06 and 7mmRM.
I replaced the wood stocks with Kevlar.
I replaced the triggers with Timney.
I replaced the barrels with Lilja and Benchmark
I replaced the bolts with PTG
I replaced the recoil lugs with Holland's
I replaced the action screws with Unbrako
I make my own bolt handles and pillars.

I think a lot of companies in America, Asia, or Europe could make that receiver.
It is not like Colt or Winchester designs that were hard to make.
If Remington closes it's doors, we will do just fine.

When Rolls Royce was sold off. The name trademark was the most valuable asset.
Maybe they can suck some bucks out of the Remington name.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 3,117 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,881
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.