Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#12421973 11/26/17
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What advantages/disadvantages are there between 30mm and 1" tubes for someone who doesn't adjust the elevation knob after sighting in?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
None. The 30mm tube exists to allow more room for windage and elevation adjustment.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think ingwe is correct in that being the biggest advantage of the 30mm tube. I think at one time 30mm was used for ease of internal access while building the scope, but I don't think that's a factor anymore.

I was thinking on this just yesterday and I haven't researched....someone else answer it for me:

If a 1" tube and a 30mm tube have the same wall thickness, which will be the stronger of the two?

It seems like I remember from long ago that a smaller tube with the same wall thickness will be stronger...but it's an old memory that is suspect.... Direction of force applied may need to be factored in.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The weight of a 30 mm tube would be a disadvantage.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Personally, it is easier for me to quickly find the target in the larger tube. It's more forgiving.

Also, comparing the same magnification scopes, the larger tubes seems to be brighter than the one-inch tube. Maybe it is because there is more light coming through.

IMO, the only advantage on the smaller tube is the lighter weight.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ShakyHands
Personally, it is easier for me to quickly find the target in the larger tube. It's more forgiving.

Also, comparing the same magnification scopes, the larger tubes seems to be brighter than the one-inch tube. Maybe it is because there is more light coming through.

Um.....no....

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Um.....no....

Um.....yes.....

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The 30mm tubes offer no advantage in terms of light transmission. That's simple science. But it is likely that some people are under that impression because they've compared 30mm-tubed scopes that are higher quality items and produce an image that "looks" better/brighter than a lesser 1-inch offering.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

LOL!!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I love my 1" Swaro's and can not even imagine paying more for a heavier scope without a major increase in magnification. Don't tell anyone but.... I shoot low to standard power variable powered scopes i.e. 2-7, 3-9 etc. It is a bad habit I know.

Last edited by 25aught6; 11/26/17.
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
The 30mm tubes offer no advantage in terms of light transmission. That's simple science. But it is likely that some people are under that impression because most 30mm-tubed scopes are high quality items and produce an image that "looks" better/brighter than many lesser 1-inch offerings.

Exactly!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

If a 1" tube and a 30mm tube have the same wall thickness, which will be the stronger of the two?

Larger outer diameter is stronger.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In general, the additional weight of tube & larger rings.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
The 30mm tubes offer no advantage in terms of light transmission. That's simple science. But it is likely that some people are under that impression because most 30mm-tubed scopes are high quality items and produce an image that "looks" better/brighter than many lesser 1-inch offerings.

Its easy to market and sell "bigger is better" to Americans...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure if this is already been addressed, however I've wondered if the reason that European makers commonly use the 30 mm tube diameter simply because it is a standard for them? Not for any other perceived virtues? That is, not because it is necessarily better than a 1 inch diameter tube

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by ingwe
None. The 30mm tube exists to allow more room for windage and elevation adjustment.

And illumination. Can't say that I've seen a 1" scope with an illuminated reticle.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by 338rcm

LOL!!!

LOL to you too.

I always laugh at those that disagree with other member opinion but have no valid point to provide. Basically, all they provide is a worthless comment that has no value to anyone.

At least I voiced my personal opinion and why 30mm works for me.

You, on the other hand, cant even verbalize a full sentence. Assuming that you are a Millennial living out of your momma's basement so that may be a valid excuse for your worthless comments.

Last edited by ShakyHands; 11/26/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by ingwe

And illumination. Can't say that I've seen a 1" scope with an illuminated reticle.

Okie John

Those are both good points. They answer the question posed in my other post on this thread.

Last edited by 340boy; 11/26/17.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
No..no..now wait a minute. A "LOL" will get one's post count up just the same as lengthy response.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 338rcm

LOL!!!

LOL to you too.

I always laugh at those that disagree with other member opinion but have no valid point to provide. Basically, all they provide is a useless comment that has no value to anyone.

At least I voiced my personal opinion and why 30mm works for me.

You, on the other hand, cant even verbalize a full sentence. Assuming that you are a Millennial living out of your momma's basement so that may be a valid excuse for your useless comments.

Its been discussed on here many times before. Some should read more and post less

PS I moved out of the basement at 17 almost 40 years ago

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

407 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 10Glocks, 33 invisible), 2,035 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,776
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.