Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
We've been soaking our deer in ice water and salt for years and I truly believe it provides the best meat. It draws a lot of the blood out turning the meat pink in color and there's no gamey taste. SOP has been placing the meat in a large cooler, filling just above the meat with cold water, dumping about 30lbs of ice on, then sprinkling approx 1/2lb of salt on. We drain and repeat every other day for about a week, then process. That process provides a much better taste than dry aging in a cooler IMO.

It works well on hogs as well and for a smelly boar you can add baking soda to the process, which will remove the smell and provide a great taste.

My Father-in-law does this so often for the local family's meat that he found a couple of old iron bath tubs and placed them near the skinning rack. He plumbed them, insulated the tubs, built a sheet metal base around them, and made some foam lids as well. He has a nice ice machine as well, so it's a pretty simple process to brine one around his place.

I also soak tenderloins in salt water in the fridge for a few days before cooking after a fresh kill.

R7RM...

I'm not quibbling here, but I have two problems with your post & process. I'd like some info back from you (or others) to clarify.

First issue: salt water doesn't "draw out blood". Salt (sodium chloride) in solution, depending on its concentration, can result in sodium ions perfusing into the meat and/or water diffusing out of the meat. Blood, by which most people mean red blood cells (RBC's) isn't "in" the meat at all... what blood you don't drain out of the carcass in the butchering process remains in the blood vessels. Myglobin, the molecule in muscle cells that gives it its red color, is likewise trapped in the muscle tissue for the most part because the molecule is far too large to pass through cell membranes.

The red coloring you see in the ice water around your meat is mostly extravasated blood that diffuses out of the exposed blood vessels of the carcass. It has no effect on the meat, positive or negative.

The effect of the salt water on your meat may be real, however, depending on the salt concentration in your water bath. If the concentration is less than 0.9%, the water in the bath will soak into the meat and soften it up some. If the concentration is greater than 0.9%, it will "suck" water out of the meat, which will make it firmer and possibly tougher. But if it's exactly 0.9%, there will be no net movement of water or salt, and your meat will simply benefit from aging.

It's my belief that using hypotonic saline solution (less than 0.9%) will enhance the tenderness and possibly flavor of old/tough/gamy meat. But I don't know, as I don't use ice water aging. Yet.

Which brings me to my second issue... what concentration of salt are you using? I want to try it on the next big hog I kill.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Some use salt some don't...what are the benefits?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've heard the myth that wild game doesn't benefit from aging a bunch of times over the years...

As have I, but I was lucky to have been born into a farm family that knew better. I've not bothered arguing or trying to educate hunters, though.

Not only does most deer and elk meat benefit from aging, but gamebirds as well. Aside from meat science "shear tests," made with a sharp knife connected to a pressure gauge, we've proven to ourselves many times how much more tender wild game from Hungarian partridge to bull elk can be after aging.

I didn't used to do this to my pheasants, for some cockamamie reasoning that I have since renounced... I've been "aging" duck breasts for decades, but somehow never tried it on pheasants and partridges until the past few years. And it makes them much, much more tender, which is wonderful. My favorite game birds to hunt are wily old cock pheasants, the ones with long spurs. They are the biggest challenge to hunter and dog, and every time I collect one I get a great feeling of accomplishment.

The only problem is that a 3-year-old cock pheasant is pretty tough chewing, relatively speaking. But I've found that aging these birds in my fridge for a week does wonders for their tenderness.

All of this is explained in far more detail in Eileen's book SLICE OF THE WILD, a "cookbook" that details how to deal with big game from bullet to table.

Great book, especially the game care section.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Same goes for ducks, Doc.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I soak a lot of our deer in big coolers full of ice, water and salt.

I don't drain any water out of the brine for nearly a week before we process.

Clean meat with almost no smell.

This ^^^ in early season with warm weather but I drain the water frequently and add ice and a little salt as needed.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

After a week in salted ice and water the blood is drawn out to the point it looks like armadillo meat, whiter than skinned chicken. Delish.

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by DocRocket
We've been soaking our deer in ice water and salt for years and I truly believe it provides the best meat. It draws a lot of the blood out turning the meat pink in color and there's no gamey taste. SOP has been placing the meat in a large cooler, filling just above the meat with cold water, dumping about 30lbs of ice on, then sprinkling approx 1/2lb of salt on. We drain and repeat every other day for about a week, then process. That process provides a much better taste than dry aging in a cooler IMO.

It works well on hogs as well and for a smelly boar you can add baking soda to the process, which will remove the smell and provide a great taste.

My Father-in-law does this so often for the local family's meat that he found a couple of old iron bath tubs and placed them near the skinning rack. He plumbed them, insulated the tubs, built a sheet metal base around them, and made some foam lids as well. He has a nice ice machine as well, so it's a pretty simple process to brine one around his place.

I also soak tenderloins in salt water in the fridge for a few days before cooking after a fresh kill.

R7RM...

I'm not quibbling here, but I have two problems with your post & process. I'd like some info back from you (or others) to clarify.

First issue: salt water doesn't "draw out blood". Salt (sodium chloride) in solution, depending on its concentration, can result in sodium ions perfusing into the meat and/or water diffusing out of the meat. Blood, by which most people mean red blood cells (RBC's) isn't "in" the meat at all... what blood you don't drain out of the carcass in the butchering process remains in the blood vessels. Myglobin, the molecule in muscle cells that gives it its red color, is likewise trapped in the muscle tissue for the most part because the molecule is far too large to pass through cell membranes.

The red coloring you see in the ice water around your meat is mostly extravasated blood that diffuses out of the exposed blood vessels of the carcass. It has no effect on the meat, positive or negative.

The effect of the salt water on your meat may be real, however, depending on the salt concentration in your water bath. If the concentration is less than 0.9%, the water in the bath will soak into the meat and soften it up some. If the concentration is greater than 0.9%, it will "suck" water out of the meat, which will make it firmer and possibly tougher. But if it's exactly 0.9%, there will be no net movement of water or salt, and your meat will simply benefit from aging.

It's my belief that using hypotonic saline solution (less than 0.9%) will enhance the tenderness and possibly flavor of old/tough/gamy meat. But I don't know, as I don't use ice water aging. Yet.

Which brings me to my second issue... what concentration of salt are you using? I want to try it on the next big hog I kill.

Sir, I honestly can't tell you any of the science behind the process, but I can tell you with certainty that it reduces the gamey flavor of the meat(At least my wife and I agree that it does). When I was much younger, we processed our own meat. That usually consisted of quartering game, placing the quarters in a refrigerator, then later either cutting the meat and freezing or freezing whole quarters and cutting when we thawed to cook. That meat was often dark red in color and always had a gamey flavor. I personally didn't mind the gamey flavor, but many people I knew didn't care for it at all. Approx 15-20 years back a man told me of the salt/ice water process, so I gave it a try and liked it so much that I continue to do it to each animal. I have to admit that I sometimes forego the salt depending on where I'm at, but I prefer to use it when available. I also have not computed the concentration either, I simply apply approx. 1/2lb to a large cooler(120-150qt with water/ice just above the meat to keep it submerged). The first couple of times you drain the water from the cooler, it definitely has a large enough blood content to make the water bright red, but after a few days the water is nearly clear when drained. The resulting meat does not have that dark red color except twd the core, its more of a dark pink color. On some smaller cuts it's pink all the way through, but on roast and such the meat will still be dark red at it's core. I can say that for me, it definitely impacts the taste of the meat by vastly reducing the gamey flavor. It also does not taste salty if that is a concern. So, as mentioned, I can't explain the science behind the process, but I can simply state that for our family this process provides a better tasting meat and I definitely do not feel it makes it tough.

I never would have believed the process would work on a smelly boar hog as the boars I've killed in the past and tried to eat had a terrible smell and taste. That changed about 8-10 years back when a fellow hunter told me that the combination of salt and baking soda added to the above process would remove the smell and taste from a boar's meat. We gave it a try on a 200lb boar, then smoked the entire pig for 24hrs. It was some of the best pork I've eaten to date and was every bit as good as farm raised pork to my taste buds.

Give it a try Doc, I can promise you it will not ruin the meat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So if I want my deer to be tasteless like boiled chicken..
Phouc that, I like deer meat.
We rinse after skinning, or wipe with vinegar water.
Then let it hang.
Would do the cooler thing I guess, with out pooled water
I don't like the grey look of soaked meat

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
^^^^ +1, I'm with you !

Gut, Hang with skin on, clean with water vinegar solution, trim bloodshot areas & thoroughly clean with water vinegar (again).

5-7 days later, skin, wash with water vinegar solution again, break down, butcher to our "exacting" standards, vacuum pack & freeze (including trimmed "chunk" meat for later grinding into burger).

P.S.; Water alone breeds bacteria !

Last edited by New_2_99s; 11/29/17. Reason: P.S.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

After a week in salted ice and water the blood is drawn out to the point it looks like armadillo meat, whiter than skinned chicken. Delish.

Ok helps draw the blood out....gotcha!

IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
^^^^ +1, I'm with you !

Gut, Hang with skin on, clean with water vinegar solution, trim bloodshot areas & thoroughly clean with water vinegar (again).

5-7 days later, skin, wash with water vinegar solution again, break down, butcher to our "exacting" standards, vacuum pack & freeze (including trimmed "chunk" meat for later grinding into burger).

P.S.; Water alone breeds bacteria !

I find that dried blood in the body cavity IN COLD WEATHER provides a good crust which helps prevent drying in deer left hanging with the skin on.

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Lots of differing opinions, theories and "eating evidence". Those who have the luxury of proper "hanging weather" have no issues. Others who deal with late seasons and below freezing temps need to "hang" in other ways. The water bath/salt seem noteworthy. But as some have already said, water ususally is considered taboo as it can introduce bateria. We've cooled game in the field in creeks, but with the meat in plastic sacks to prevent contamination. We'll what happens if I punch my tag in a few weeks.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remember clostridium is the eitiolgy of botulism.

Clostridium is an anerobe as in it needs no oxygen to flourish. It actually cannot multiply WITH oxygen. There fore wrapping meat in plastic is contraindicated in the ageing process.. l prefer using pillow cases to wrap the meat in. Gallon jugs or so frozen and big coolers with a sight air gap. Then at night when it is cool hang it out side to get more air. I got meat panniers hanging from steel fence panels.

Or out in the woods use motorcycle tie down straps to lift the quarters. When I finally butcher I will soak the quarters or meat in cold vinegar solution. I have also seared hair off with a blow torch. I am iganorant about postg pictures so if some one wants photos pm me . I can email them. Just stay away from plastic wrapped.

Last edited by Angus1895; 11/29/17.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
I dont like putting meat in plastic until ready to freeze it. If i put ice in a freezer in garbage bags and lay quarters on it to keep meat out of the water to keep color, i turn the meat daily for air exposure.

Last edited by jaguartx; 11/29/17.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are other bacteria that are not clostridium that can proliferate without oxygen.

They can use the element called sulfur like we use oxygen. That is where the sulfur smell of " rotten eggs" comes from. So plastic and meat should be avoided if possible. Also garbage bags and what not are not held to the same food safety guidelines as food bags so there is another toxicology issue when that is addressed.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

R7RM...

Sir, I honestly can't tell you any of the science behind the process, but I can tell you with certainty that it reduces the gamey flavor of the meat(At least my wife and I agree that it does). When I was much younger, we processed our own meat. That usually consisted of quartering game, placing the quarters in a refrigerator, then later either cutting the meat and freezing or freezing whole quarters and cutting when we thawed to cook. That meat was often dark red in color and always had a gamey flavor. I personally didn't mind the gamey flavor, but many people I knew didn't care for it at all. Approx 15-20 years back a man told me of the salt/ice water process, so I gave it a try and liked it so much that I continue to do it to each animal. I have to admit that I sometimes forego the salt depending on where I'm at, but I prefer to use it when available. I also have not computed the concentration either, I simply apply approx. 1/2lb to a large cooler(120-150qt with water/ice just above the meat to keep it submerged). The first couple of times you drain the water from the cooler, it definitely has a large enough blood content to make the water bright red, but after a few days the water is nearly clear when drained. The resulting meat does not have that dark red color except twd the core, its more of a dark pink color. On some smaller cuts it's pink all the way through, but on roast and such the meat will still be dark red at it's core. I can say that for me, it definitely impacts the taste of the meat by vastly reducing the gamey flavor. It also does not taste salty if that is a concern. So, as mentioned, I can't explain the science behind the process, but I can simply state that for our family this process provides a better tasting meat and I definitely do not feel it makes it tough.

I never would have believed the process would work on a smelly boar hog as the boars I've killed in the past and tried to eat had a terrible smell and taste. That changed about 8-10 years back when a fellow hunter told me that the combination of salt and baking soda added to the above process would remove the smell and taste from a boar's meat. We gave it a try on a 200lb boar, then smoked the entire pig for 24hrs. It was some of the best pork I've eaten to date and was every bit as good as farm raised pork to my taste buds.

Doesn't the salt melt the ice? Also, what kind of salt are you using? Table salt, Kosher salt, Sea salt, Rock salt or doesn't it matter? Thanks.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I pour an entire pound of store brand iodized salt into 100+ quart size coolers along with the meat and ice.

I have used this brine for decades to store and clean meat for up to one week.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by River_Ridge

R7RM...

Doesn't the salt melt the ice? Also, what kind of salt are you using? Table salt, Kosher salt, Sea salt, Rock salt or doesn't it matter? Thanks.

Just like Ted, we use the one pound containers of table salt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
So if I want my deer to be tasteless like boiled chicken..
Phouc that, I like deer meat.
We rinse after skinning, or wipe with vinegar water.
Then let it hang.
Would do the cooler thing I guess, with out pooled water
I don't like the grey look of soaked meat

If you want to age it in a cooler without the soaking effect, keep about 10 gallon jugs in your freezer. I sometimes use cold water at first, while I'm breaking down the deer and quartering it up, as it gets the meat cooled quickly and gets off most any hair that I might have missed. After draining it, I will generally dump some bagged ice over it and toss on some frozen jugs. Sometimes I am short on bagged ice at home during the 4-6 days of aging, so I just keep draining off any residual water while adding more frozen jugs. This does result in much redder meat coming to my butcher table, but it still got to age the same amount of time. Tastes about the same to me. This might work for those who don't want meat that is grayish on the outside from a soak. And I might start doing the vinegar wipe-down before butchering, just to be a bit safer. Sounds simple.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by River_Ridge

R7RM...

Salt actually lowers the freezing temperature of water by a fair degree.

If you doubt this, make a clean water ice slurry, add a good wack of salt & insert your beer for 20-30 minutes - it'll be colder than you ever thought possible !

smile

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

260 members (264mag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 260Remguy, 29 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,755
Posts18,476,352
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.