Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Any here entertained at any of the shows?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I watched a USO show in DaNang in 1970. Miss America was there but not Bob Hope.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I watched Bob Hope on 📺 TV

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not a USO show, but two actors showed up at LZ English when I was there in '71. The guy was a jerk who sat at the bar getting hammered on free booze and ignoring everyone who tried to talk to him. The woman (I'm convinced it was Maureen O'Sullivan) entertained us with the bawdiest, dirtiest songs imaginable, laughed and hobnobbed with the whole roomful of guys who hadn't seen a roundeye in months, and generally won every heart present.

Later, I left Ban Me Thuot six weeks before the end of my year tour, getting home in time for Christmas but learning years later that I missed Martha Raye by two weeks. ARRRGGGgggghhhhh!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The group, Rascal Flatts came to Camp Fallujah when I was there in 2005. Just the three of them and two acoustic guitars. Put on a hell of a show for us and stayed after to shake hands and sign autographs.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A couple small scale shows in DaNang 68&69. No big name folks but good entertainment. Does take one's mind off of issues for a brief period.

1Minute
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Yes saw Bob Hope, Rosie Greer, an AnnMargret at the 68 Christmas show in Da Nang ! Dear lord was Miss Ann hot !!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I flew a USO show group in the Far East in the 70's. Delivered them to Korea. We didn't get to stick around for the show.

You would be surprised how many show girls can fit in the cockpit of a C-130, along with the flight crew, at cruise altitude with the auto-pilot on.

Let's just say there were the normal five crewmen in the cockpit, and there were enough pretty gals for every lap, with a couple of girls to spare.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nine months after the United States's entered World War II, Bob Hope made his first overseas trip to entertain members of the armed forces. His travel to Alaska, then a U.S. territory, required a special permit.

Here's to Bob Hope. May his memory live forever.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob definitely had a high level of respect, not often seen today for our men in uniform. Even as a young kid, I could tell this was something special he had dedicated himself too.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
On stage, never watched one...

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I saw one around 85 at Ft Irwin of all places. I don't remember much except the solid gold dancers.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pops was at Da Nang in 67. He was a big Raquel fan, yeah who wasn’t.

Not his picture
[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was stationed in Kodiak, they did a comedy tour there. They were really good. One of the comedians was doing a routine involving the audience. The audience would have to shout out something when he asked for it. The first thing he asked for was for someone to name a profession. I shouted out " a real comedian." Everyone blew up laughing. I actually stumped him with that one. He was in the middle of a joke some 15 minutes later and stopped what he was doing muttered "a real comedian" and flipped me off.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I saw Suzanne Somers at USO Shows in Korea in 1977 (Western Corridor) and again in 1980 or 81 at Camp Casey.

I saw Bob Hope and Brooke Shields at Fort Bragg in 1986 "Hope at Pope 40th Birthday of Air Force" (Pope AFB). I was on the jump at Sicily when the C-130 LAPES went bad. I am pretty sure that happened during that or some other CAPEX demonstration. I was right in the bleachers 100 yards from the impact point as we watched the demonstration once we hit the ground and turned our chutes in. My friends were all worried that was our jump plane that crashed as they didn't give many details initially. Brooke Shields went down to Rick's Lounge on Hay Street that night because she wanted to see the more colorful aspect of GI life. My friend took her for a spin around the block on his Harley.

Last edited by sbrmike; 11/28/17. Reason: spelling

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Nine months after the United States's entered World War II, Bob Hope made his first overseas trip to entertain members of the armed forces. His travel to Alaska, then a U.S. territory, required a special permit.

Here's to Bob Hope. May his memory live forever.

Christmas has never been the same without Bob and his show on the news with the troops in some F**ked Up $hithole.

The greatest cartoon my eyes have ever seen was of Bob walking up to the Gates and all the guys waiting for him.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When younger I never expected to see Bob Hope in a war zone. Lo and behold he and his wife made it to Riyadh in 1990.
The Saudis wouldn't let any other women into their country but Erin Tippen was there, too. Great show by all. I always have appreciated Bob Hope and that was icing on the cake.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Was always aboard ship off the coast, never saw a show, damm--

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (10gaugemag, 14idaho, 406_SBC, 907brass, 44automag, 13 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 777 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,724
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.