Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I've got a Ruger Hawkeye African rifle in 9.3x62 mm. To date all I've reloaded are 285 and 270 grain jacketed bullets. I've gotten some 290 grain hard cast, lubed, and gas checked bullets and am looking for some data. The only cast data I can find is from Ken Water's Pet Loads, but it is for a 238 grain bullet. Will starting loads for 285-286 jacketed bullets be a safe starting place? Any thoughts on how fast I could push these to without leading? I'd like to use these for plinking at the lower end to a fairly serious hunting load.

Thanks

Mike

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would think jacketed data for 285-6 would be a prudent starting point. As far as how fast you can push them without leading, there are several factors that case leading and velocity is just one of them. Bullet fit, lube, alloy, twist rate, the pressure of the load all are factors that cause leading, or prevent it.

Assuming the bullets are suitably sized and with a good lube you should be able to push them 2000-2200 fps with no leading. You might be able to push them to jacketed velocities with no leading, or you might not. IMHO it tends to be a challenge to keep top accuracy and prevent leading when pushing cast bullets over 2200 fps, and keeping pressures in the 40-50 kpsi range also seems to be more friendly to best cast performance.

In my 350 rigby I had excellent accuracy with 280 gr cast bullets and milder charges of Varget for a velocity of 2000 fps. I'd expect the 9.3X62 will likely behave similarly.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Mike,

I shoot a .375-06 Imp, which is a ballistic twin to your 9.3x62. I have a GC cast bullet that drops at 285gr and use 37.0gr of H-4895 as my load. VERY mild shooting and certainly not a top-end load.

I used Hodgdon's 60% rule using H-4895 which for a 286gr jacketed bullet is 55.5gr MAX. 60% of 55.5gr is 33.3gr, so that's where I started. 37.0gr just happened to be the first accuracy node I encountered so I quit there. I have never chrony'ed the load, so have no idea of velocity and I use it as a practice load for working on my trigger manipulation and shooting position practice.

BTG, Minimum 286gr jacketed bullet load with H-4895 is listed as 51.0gr for 2,100fps @ 39,000CUP, so you'e a long way from top cast bullet velocity with 33.3gr.

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 11/30/17. Reason: kain't spel ner tipe

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks guys.

I had forgotten about the 60% rule with H-4895, but don't have any on hand at the moment.

Looking at my reloading log I've been using 62,2 grains of Ramshot Big Game with Privi Partizan cases and jacketed bullets. Breaking out The Big Book of Gun Gack, John lists 66 grains of Big Game with a 286 Partition as maximum. I'll start with 10% below at 59.4 grains and see how that does.

I may also try some loads with Trail Boss. I've played around with it in 30-30. Not exactly stellar accuracy, but good enough for 50 yard plinking. Basically no recoil at all.

Going to the range this afternoon. I'll see how the Big Game loads do.

Mike

Member:
NRA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used starting data from Hodgdon Manual #26 for my 35 Whelen AI. As long as you don't push them too fast you'll be good. Pick a slow powder that doesn't give the highest velocity for the cartridge.

Generally, you want to stay under 2000fps with cast, unless they have been sized perfectly for YOUR rifle, are hard enough and have proper lube for HV. If all those criteria are not met, you'll be cleaning out lots of lead.

Last edited by 5shot; 12/01/17.
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If you have any Alliant 2400. Start at 16gr and work up to about 20gr. I have found a lot of satisfaction in that range with my CZ. I am using the NOE 286 gr FNGC sized at .368in. These group very well for plinking loads,1.5-1.75in for 5 shots at 100yds.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J

My loads with Big Game starting loads were spectacularly unsuccessful. I didn't crono them, but I think they were much too fast. Just measured them and they are only .364 inch. Could be a problem since I don't think the gas check will allow them to bump up.

I don't have any Alliant 2400, but do have a recently opened can of Hercules 2400; my last one. I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

Mike

Member:
NRA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Mike,

I shoot a .375-06 Imp, which is a ballistic twin to your 9.3x62. I have a GC cast bullet that drops at 285gr and use 37.0gr of H-4895 as my load. VERY mild shooting and certainly not a top-end load.

I used Hodgdon's 60% rule using H-4895 which for a 286gr jacketed bullet is 55.5gr MAX. 60% of 55.5gr is 33.3gr, so that's where I started. 37.0gr just happened to be the first accuracy node I encountered so I quit there. I have never chrony'ed the load, so have no idea of velocity and I use it as a practice load for working on my trigger manipulation and shooting position practice.

BTG, Minimum 286gr jacketed bullet load with H-4895 is listed as 51.0gr for 2,100fps @ 39,000CUP, so you'e a long way from top cast bullet velocity with 33.3gr.

Ed

Very interesting. I sent you a PM regarding your experience with that cartridge.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have no clue about the dimensions of your bore or throat or chamber, but my guess is that your bullets are too small, and that you're only going to get marginally better results by going to a faster powder for a shorter push. Yes, they'll slug up a bit more, but you'll get gas blow-by, which will cause leading and bullet deformation. I could be wrong, but fitting the bullet to the throat/bore is usually the first step to getting successful results with cast bullets. Oversized is far preferable to undersized. When I've been in situations like yours (bullet too small), the only solution I've found is to painstakingly and thoroughly clean off any lube (a tedious, time-consuming process), then powder-coat the bullets to get them to proper diameter for the throat/bore. That works, but it isn't worth the time. I've only done it a few times, mostly to test the idea, and I won't do it again if I can avoid it.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I have no clue about the dimensions of your bore or throat or chamber, but my guess is that your bullets are too small, and that you're only going to get marginally better results by going to a faster powder for a shorter push. Yes, they'll slug up a bit more, but you'll get gas blow-by, which will cause leading and bullet deformation. I could be wrong, but fitting the bullet to the throat/bore is usually the first step to getting successful results with cast bullets. Oversized is far preferable to undersized. When I've been in situations like yours (bullet too small), the only solution I've found is to painstakingly and thoroughly clean off any lube (a tedious, time-consuming process), then powder-coat the bullets to get them to proper diameter for the throat/bore. That works, but it isn't worth the time. I've only done it a few times, mostly to test the idea, and I won't do it again if I can avoid it.

Entirely correct! First you must know what the throat diameter is. Either cast your chamber or pound a lead slug in the throat area to get the dimensions. Then size your bullet .0005" less and you should be good to go with 60% of H-4895 for a starting load. I think 30 grains of IMR-4198 or 24 grains of IMR-4227, or 20 grains of 2400 would be good places to start.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What they said. Assuming the bore is per spec it will be 0.366" and you want a bullet sized at least 0.367". Unfortunately that leaves you somewhat in no mans land as paper patching would make the bullet too large in dia.

With jacketed bullets you can get away with being slightly undder bore diameter but with a hardcast bullet it's an absolute killer.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,176
Posts18,503,222
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.