Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Accuracy wise, best anyone been able to manage is about an inch at 100 with IMR-4895.
To date, I've head of no reports of similar accuracy with a ball or other nice metering powder.

If someone has a sub-inch load with a fine powder and these bullets, I'd sure like to hear about it.

I used to get tied up in all that too. Ball powder and such. No flaws on that either. Found that as ugly as varget metered on 69s, it just didn't matter much on the paper if it was thrown or weighed.

Of course Audette load development gets you to that point too. Just FWIW.

I don't think a nosler like that could be bad performing. But with Barnes, I just have not seen the need.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My daughter shot lengthwise through a white tail with one, taking out a lot of bone on the way. On hogs, they make a .22 caliber penetrate and perform like something larger. I would feel comfortable taking a cow elk with one if legal.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jimmyp
...Wish federal would sell their 62 gr fusion bullet as a component, if they do I have not seen it, that is a very good bullet as well, but cartridges cost's me a dolla a shot ...

Jimmy,

How about 1,000 for $135.00 and free shipping? Rocky Mountain Reloading LINK

I have another 1,000 of them on my reloading bench that I haven't even opened yet. blush

Great folks to deal with! Jake and crew have seen a lot of my money over the past couple of years. grin

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 12/03/17. Reason: added text

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you have to join this site just to look?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Tag

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ed they say 62 grain premium bonded bullet? I am going to give them a call and buy a few.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I trust Ed's word on the performance of those.

Have it on the list to buy a 1000 at some point to load up for just plain cheap reserve ammo.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Ed they say 62 grain premium bonded bullet? I am going to give them a call and buy a few.

Jimmy,

I visited RMR's facility in Lewiston back in June and saw the pallets of case after case of these bullets. All the boxes were marked Federal Fusion. Tough not to empty a bank account when you're standing in a warehouse full of bullets and brass at below wholesale prices. eek grin

25.5gr of Varget with CCI BR-4 primers in Hornady, Federal, Winchester, Fiocchi, or Remington brass and this bullet is a very accurate load in all three of my .223's. All have 1:8" twist with Wylde chambers, and one AR has a BHW polygonal rifled barrel.

BTW, I have yet to recover a bullet from any of the deer or hogs I've killed with it. Of course, I'm not trying to shoot end-to-end, either.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ed, is the jacket on these bullets extended far enough forward so that the lead point is protected enough that they will feed well in an AR w/o damaging the tip?

MM

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Ed, is the jacket on these bullets extended far enough forward so that the lead point is protected enough that they will feed well in an AR w/o damaging the tip?

MM

Yes, on both the Federal Fusion and the Noslers. The Federal fusions have a very small (tiny?) lead meplat while the Nosler is very definitely a small flat point.
You really can't see the lead from the side on the Federal and just a little bit on the Nosler.

I have probably shot 500-600 of the Federals and have not had a single issue with accuracy. The rounds that I have downloaded after hunting show no signs of tip damage.

According to literature I've found on these 62gr Fusions, they are the bullet of choice for a lot of LE snipers as they do a great job of penetrating light barriers, particularly auto windshields, continuing on a straight path, and yet still expand. The LE application is why they have a cannelure.

Sort of like shooting through a mud covered gristle shield on a boar, breaking rib(s), then trashing the lungs and leaving the carcass. Or, breaking both bones on a ~175lb boar's foreleg, then passing through the skull from under the jaw and out the top of it's head, leaving a quarter size exit hole. That was a coup de gras shot after I had spined it and it flopped over on it's side, belly towards me.

Ed

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks.............that's the info I was looking for.

MM

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I went to Cabelas Saturday looking for some bullets. Just wanted to look local before I tried some of those Noslers. They only had the 62 gr. TSX, which I just haven't found a very accurate load with.

Now I have some of these Fusion bullets on the way, really appreciate the heads up APDDNS. Will be shooting them from a 1 in 8" wylde too so hope that recipe gets me close. Bow season is over for me, hope to try these on a late season doe tag.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Will the Federal Fusion open up quick enough to drop a yote quickly?

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PPosey
Why would you want to when there are so many great & much cheaper yote bullets?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BarryC

I prefer a all around bullet, if one will perform well on yotes and up I am happy, the 65 grain sierra BTSP has done well to this point,

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BarryC

In my experience, yes. It's all about placement. You certainly aren't going to get big exit holes, but every one of the coyotes I've shot with them have gone down pretty quickly.

I killed a coyote here at ~150 yards, through the body behind the shoulder and, at the shot, the coyote dropped, got back to it's feet, spun around a couple of times and fell over dead. Another one I shot though the body just keeled over and didn't move. Same with the bobcat I shot with them.

I was shooting that Sierra 65gr SP before I got these and the effects were roughly the same. This one is a little more accurate in all three of my rifles, but not by much.

Ed

L
lotech Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I've had very good luck accuracy-wise with the 65 Gameking in two 1 in 7" Colt ARs with H4895 powder. Several times I've done comparisons with the 69 MatchKing trying to decide which is most accurate. At 100 and 200 yards I can see no difference. Beyond 200, I suspect the MatchKing would do better.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by lotech
I've had very good luck accuracy-wise with the 65 Gameking in two 1 in 7" Colt ARs with H4895 powder. Several times I've done comparisons with the 69 MatchKing trying to decide which is most accurate. At 100 and 200 yards I can see no difference. Beyond 200, I suspect the MatchKing would do better.

That is a good bullet in my custom Mini-14.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Think I'm gonna try a few of those 62 gr. Federals.

Thanks, Ed.

DF

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I loaded some 64 BSB up with TAC and at 25 gr. got 2975 fps and two 5 shot groups were 3/8 and 5/8 in. This was in a 24" Heavy barreled DPMS. This load also shot 1" out of a 16" barreled m4 version dpms. I have not used it on anything but paper.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,189
Posts18,484,895
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.