Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a PPS M2, the G43 felt snappy and I preferred the trigger on it over the Glock and the M&P. The XDS wasn't comfortable to hold or shoot.

GB1

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been carrying for 25 years. G21 for a duty weapon, a G17 for back up. 1911 commander, and just about anything else you can imagine from a .22 lr Beretta model 21 to a Colt 357 with a 6" barrel.

Right now, and for the last 2-3 years, I've been carrying a Taurus Millennium G2 in 9mm. In fact, I have 3 of them. They're compact, 3.2" barrel, magazines holds 12 rounds. They handle +P ammo. I have them loaded with 115 grain +P ammo designed for short barreled CCW pistols. The stuff is pretty HOT. Something like 1375fps out of the little thing. I've never had a single malfunction.

If you have a range near you, go rent a few different firearms that you're interested in. May help in the process of deciding. Or borrow a few from your friends.

Good luck in your search and choice.

Jeff

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Here's my idea of a good pocket-carry 9mm:

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by trb696
No new newbie here, longtime rifle man but never felt drawn to pistolas. Am now looking into getting my ccl and have eyed a glock 26 and g43 BECAUSE OF PROVEN RELIABILITY. I have 3 questions. Simply,
ONE: what weight (and maybe brand/model) bullet for 9mm in subcompacts for defense. I reload and will practice with same weight.
TWO: of the g26 and g43, the g43 is thinner and holds 6+1 special single stack mag, the g26 is double stack std glock mags 10+1. Question is what to choose, thinner and less ammo or slightly wider and extra 4 rds capacity? Both feel great in my hand. For fit and concealment I am 6'2" and 245lbs. THREE, What are the cheaper guns to stay far away from, like any hi-points, compact rugers or s&ws sold cheap at academy, bass pro, etc...? What are great value subs that are reliabke and accurate?
I do not want a larger than sub compact for carry so dont suggest g17s g19s etc...
I live on a tiny Veterans Comp check so value to cost is huge for me.
Thanks all for you input!

best bet is the 124 grain pill--the 124 gr Speer Gold Dot, and 124 gr Federal HST alternated in the mag is good medicine for the best of both worlds. if you want to go "old school", you can go 115 gr Federal 9mm BPLE, for a velocity of 1350 fps in 4 inch tubes. that shares the rarified air with 125 gr pills in .357 snubs.

i've used the 124 gr truncated cone hard cast pills for years--great pills. the electroplated Ranier bullets are very good too.

forget the myth about "lead bullets" in Glocks--i've used them for nearly 30 years with zero issues. this issue came about early on, when pilgrims were using the soft swaged lead pills in early G17 rigs, which initially had "pencil barrels", ie., thinner tubes--which when combined with soft swaged pills caused leading, and when jacketed pills were fired in tubes smeared with lead, the thin barrels could supposedly split. this is my understanding, if i recall correctly. avoid swaged lead and use the hard cast truncated pills and never look back. back in the day, one had to load 9 mm if you practiced often, but today, ammo is so cheap it is a good alternative for some handgunners to just buy factory fodder.

the Glock 43 is the 9mm counterpart to the Glock 36. slim, comfortable in the mitts, handy for concealment, short and stiff, etc. their "advantages" are outweighed by their downfall--limited mag capacity. made all the worse if you "load your mags light", ie., i usually load them with 2 rounds less than the mag capacity calls for--as i've found that over time the mag springs last longer using this approach. in my estimation, Glock should offer higher cap mags for these 2 models--making them a little more appealing for folks who like a second mag that holds more rounds, and don't mind the extra length.

the G 26 is a mighty fine model, and as mentioned, it can accept 10, 12, 15, 17, and 33 round mags--making it very versatile in numerous situations. i find the G26 to be a very accurate little rig, and i've never had a magazine not drop free--ever. the one thing i dislike about it is the short grip--made short to offer better concealment. while i don't carry the G 26, i do carry IWB, appendix, and due to the positioning of a rig in that mode, i find longer grip lengths a non issue, and subsequently--always prefer longer handles, for a more positive purchase in the draw. they can be handy rigs for the car too, as you can stash several different length mags in a case with the pistol. short, stiff slides and barrels can be very handy. to mitigate the short grip, i usually use the G 19 mags in mine when doing a lot of firing, as it does offer better control....you won't go wrong with the G 26.

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I turned my 27 into a 26. I like the mag with the 2 shot extensions for my big paws.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Santa Claus wants you to get yourself a Gen4 G26 and a spare G19 magazine for your pocket.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Earlier in the year I was in the same situation as the OP. I decided to go with the S&W M&P Performance Center Shield (due to the better trigger) and chose to use the Federal HST 124 gr for my self-defense round. For practice I'll use any 115 or 124 gr. FMJ ammo that I can get cheap or my buddies reloads. My Shield has been very reliable and trouble free. It came down to the Glock 43 or the Shield for me and I chose the Shield because it's an American company and I like that the Shield has a stainless steel Amornite finished slide with better corrosion resistance than the Glock. This is important for a carry gun that will be carried on your body and subjected to sweat. Both guns will have lots of holster choices and aftermarket accessories as both are among the most popular handguns. I have no regrets with my choice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G43 is the counterpart to the G36?

Your comparison is valid in comparing them to their larger double stack brothers.
However, compare the G36 to a G19, and you will find why the 36 has not taken the
world by storm.

When it first came out I read the reviews and just had to have a 36.
Then, I looked at one, and realized it is pretty much the size of a 19.
A little slimmer, but half the capacity. I didn't need to spend the money.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Apparently the replies recommending a $500 Glock, a $100 holster, and a $50 belt missed this part.

Or, buy a $300 M&P Shield and a $25 Kydex holster and call it good and equally armed.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To your question regarding 6+1 for pocket carry or bigger, I’d advise that the smaller the pistol the better for concealment. I have carried all three methods - pocket carry, IWB, OWB and by far carry by pocket. Smaller and thinner is easier to fit in your pocket. I happen to carry a Kahr CW9 without too much trouble in my front pockets. Much bigger /heavier ain’t happening, at least for me. I use an uncle mikes pocket holster.

When I go IWB, it’s a Kahr CM9 in a Galco mini tuck.

I carry way more consistently when I use my pocket rig and 7 9mm with me are better then a bunch more left at home.

I believe that S&W offers a pistol similar in size to the CW9, as does Ruger. Might want to check those three side by side in the gun shop, when you are looking at all the Glocks mentioned.

Regards,

Tom
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG

Apparently the replies recommending a $500 Glock, a $100 holster, and a $50 belt missed this part.

Or, buy a $300 M&P Shield and a $25 Kydex holster and call it good and equally armed.

I actually found that buying a good belt the best investment I made. I have cheap holsters and rather expensive holsters. None were comfortable all day every day carry with a cheap Wally World belt.
Right now Hanks has 15% off any belt, free shipping and a no bull chit return for wrong size. Guaranteed replacement for 100 years for about 40 bucks.
Code Cheer 15.

Swifty
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Santa Claus wants you to get yourself a Gen4 G26 and a spare G19 magazine for your pocket.

That would be my choice between the 26 and 43.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Santa has you on the nice list.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No new newbie here, longtime rifle man but never felt drawn to pistolas. Am now looking into getting my ccl and have eyed a glock 26 and g43 BECAUSE OF PROVEN RELIABILITY. I have 3 questions. Simply,
ONE: what weight (and maybe brand/model) bullet for 9mm in subcompacts for defense. I reload and will practice with same weight. I like 124gr Fed HST's in my 9's
TWO: of the g26 and g43, the g43 is thinner and holds 6+1 special single stack mag, the g26 is double stack std glock mags 10+1. Question is what to choose, thinner and less ammo or slightly wider and extra 4 rds capacity? Both feel great in my hand. For fit and concealment I am 6'2" and 245lbs. IMO, you will like shoting the G26 better; I carry a G27 a lot with Pearce mag extensions & in a Remora holster & it's a really easy carry with enough practicality for most situations that might be encountered outside a major multi adversary engagement where I'd like a bigger sized gun. THREE, What are the cheaper guns to stay far away from, like any hi-points, compact rugers or s&ws sold cheap at academy, bass pro, etc...? What are great value subs that are reliabke and accurate? Besides the G-26/27, the original S&W M&P Compact is a great gun & equally as good as the Glocks. My wife has one in her arsenal & I really like it & shoot it well, but I like the Glock triggers that I can clean up cheaper than buying an Apex for the S&W.
I do not want a larger than sub compact for carry so dont suggest g17s g19s etc...
Thanks all for you input!

MM

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I like single stacks so the G43 vote here. If you’re not comfortable with the Glock grip angle, the springfield XD and XDS are more like a 1911 grip angle.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Glock 43 with a Crimson Trace light/Green Laser combo, and two spare ETS 9 round mags on your weak side and a ETS seven round mag in the pistol

If course, there's nothing wrong with the suggested Glock 26 with a backup G17 or Glock 19 mag.

I don't have a Glock 26 anymore. If I want more than my Glock 43 can provide, I jump right up to the Glock 19, or the Glock 17.

There is little a properly deployed Glock 19 can't solve if your training and tactics are up to speed.

Or so I'm told by people who have been there and done that a few times.

Last edited by David_Walter; 12/10/17.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kahr CW9

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went with the 43 and shot it today. Was really impressed with it.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by David_Walter
If I want more than my Glock 43 can provide, I jump right up to the Glock 19, or the Glock 17.

Same here, exactly. It's the Glock 17 most of the time, and the 43 for special circumstances. No need for any intermediates between them.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Trb696: The one I recommend is the Glock 43.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,465
Posts18,471,363
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.