Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have a Cooper in 250 Savage - well built, beautiful wood, the “right” size for a .250 and accurate....it’s hard not to like!
Also have a custom build on a Sako action by a local western PA gunsmith that is deceased now that is just about perfect for a .250....
everythng that the Cooper is only more of it (better wood, overall smaller/lighter but not quite as accurate.

PennDog

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some years ago a friend had a 700 ADL that was acting up. Inconvenient stuff like going off when he closed the bolt. He had tried to have it repaired w/o success, got tired of it and passed it on to me for a song. Had no use for a .22-250 so it got a new barrel and was chambered for the .250-3000. Safety/trigger were replaced too. After that was done I whittled on the stock, added a pad to increase LOP and I now have the a remarkably plain rifle that does not stand out in any way.

[Linked Image]

The top target was the first shot with the gun. 100 yards, 85 Nosler BT. Bottom was the first with 100 Nosler Partitions, also at 100 yards and fired immediately after the top target..

[Linked Image]

I've got about $600 in the gun, including the scope...

Did this about a month back, 10 shots @ 100 yards, double bag rest while burning up some 10 year old loads for giggles.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Some years ago a friend had a 700 ADL that was acting up. Inconvenient stuff like going off when he closed the bolt. He had tried to have it repaired w/o success, got tired of it and passed it on to me for a song. Had no use for a .22-250 so it got a new barrel and was chambered for the .250-3000. Safety/trigger were replaced too. After that was done I whittled on the stock, added a pad to increase LOP and I now have the a remarkably plain rifle that does not stand out in any way.

[Linked Image]

The top target was the first shot with the gun. 100 yards, 85 Nosler BT. Bottom was the first with 100 Nosler Partitions, also at 100 yards and fired immediately after the top target..

[Linked Image]

I've got about $600 in the gun, including the scope...

Did this about a month back, 10 shots @ 100 yards, double bag rest while burning up some 10 year old loads for giggles.

[Linked Image]

Dan,

Impressive economical build for a 250/3000 and darn accurate too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dan, that's an absolutely great rifle. "Plain" is just fine with me.

About 25 years ago I was thinking of a custom 250 Savage, so called HS Precision to talk about having them make me a cut-rifled 25 cal 1-10" barrel. I got the shop manager on the phone to talk about the idea. He was obviously not in the mood to chat, maybe having a tough day, until I said this was to be for a 250 Savage build. At the mention of the Savage he absolutely became animated, explaining in all the years he'd been in the shop, the 250 Savage rifles they'd built were, day in, day out, the most accurate made.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is said there are many ways to skin a cat, and that is true about building guns. My only suggestion is to not scrimp on the important stuff. I sent the gun off to Dennis Erhardt out Montana way and he bolted a Douglas XX blank to the receiver, took care of the safety issue and bedded the action. Dennis knows his stuff and is a fair dealer. After is came home I cleaned up the stock and added the pad. Another gun he built that put me on to his talent is a .416 Rigby done with an old G&H Mauser action. If I wasn't such a puzzy it would probably shoot as well as the .250. Despite that, it reliably plinks in the MOA range with several different 400 grain bullets.

Good barrels, good 'smiths...........winning combination.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think Dennis is now retired... a good one for sure.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I have narrowed it down to three options A) Cooper, B) find a action and do a build with a McMillan stock (ugh I hate synthetic stocks but I love nice wood but at this moment price is a consideration) C) Look for a rifle to rebarrel most likely a Remington or Ruger and reshape the stock as needed.

A full Manlicher stocked rifler is on my to do list but it will most likely be in 6.5X55

If you have a spare $5,300 sitting around, there is a kickass Dakota mannlicher in 6.5x55 on the Williams site.

If not, the non-cataloged stainless Ruger 77 RSIs that Lipsey's had made up a year or two ago aren't bad, nor are the mannlicher stocked Husqvarna HVAs, The problem is finding them, since once people get one they seldom let it go of them.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I am not familiar with the Williams sight. A 6.5X55 has been a want for a while. I have an as new #1 RSI in 7x57 that I really don't need and have considered rebarreling that to 250 Savage.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I am not familiar with the Williams sight. A 6.5X55 has been a want for a while. I have an as new #1 RSI in 7x57 that I really don't need and have considered rebarreling that to 250 Savage.

www.williamsgunsight.com

I have a couple of mannlicher stocked 6.5x55s, a factory built Husqvarna 1640 HVA and a Ruger 77 parts gun, a 77 R MK2 barreled action in a 77 RSI MK2 stock.

The Husqvarna has a longer barrel, so it balances and points a little better than the Ruger, but the Ruger isn't half bad, still 100x better than a CZ 550 FS.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for the link. They aren't far from me and thats very close to what I would build.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I’ve seen the gun at Williams, it’s very nice. If I had the cash, it wouldn’t still be there, but with a kid in college and another shortly, well, I’m very happy with my Ruger RSI in .250.

Old70

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Brad
I think Dennis is now retired... a good one for sure.

Didn't know that, I wish him well.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A year ago there were no less than three or four Ruger RSI's in 250 Savage listed on the web. Now that I have decided to sell the M70 I can't find one to save my rear end.

Thew 6.5X55 is another caliber that I'd like to have and that Dakota is sure tempting. Kind of an odd price though. IIRC there was a time period that Dakota had some quality control issues. I have requested the date of manufacture. The person I talked to said the gun was like new with only about a box of shells through it. I question why anyone would trade/sell such a nice rifle after so little use. Makes me wonder if it shoots accurately.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Here you go. Let Shaw build it for you (pick your action finish, barrel length and material, and stock. Plenty of money left for a good scope, dies, brass, powder, etc., etc., etc. http://www.ershawbarrels.com/build-your-e-r-shaw-mk-VII-rifle.htm

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Testing Photobucket fix
1903 Springfield 250 Savage
[Linked Image]

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 51 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,294
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.