Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by fgold767
Made in 2004

Kind of blows the "made in Portugal" crowd out of the water.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I guess I find it odd that some factory rounds did chamber and shoot and now other "new" factory rounds won't chamber at all?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Made in 2004

Production ended at New Haven in 2006 if I recall correctly.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by lynntelk
Made in 2004

I'd take that classic, even with a bad chamber, WAY before I would buy a Portugese model 70.. Just sayin...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You really can't blame the current Winchester for not wanting to back previously manufactured rifles.
If you just took over a company, would want to be in the hook for all the guns built over the last 150 years.
They probably have to back everything for a certain time, unfortunately for the OP, his ran out.
I have been told, automakers have to parts support their products for a certain time.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 10/22/17.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
You really can't blame the current Winchester for not wanting to back previously manufactured rifles.
If you just took over a company, would want to be in the hook for all the guns built over the last 150 years.
They probably have to back everything for a certain time, unfortunately for the OP, his ran out.
I have been told, automakers have to parts support their products for a certain time.

They should back it up or change their fu cking name.... Something like Portuguese Arms or something....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by lynntelk
Made in 2004

I'd take that classic, even with a bad chamber, WAY before I would buy a Portugese model 70.. Just sayin...
Ditto...

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

They should back it up or change their fu cking name.... Something like Portuguese Arms or something....
Well, it isn't really Winchester - it's Browning Arms Co. that owns it now.. Not sure I'd blame them for not standing behind something they had nothing to do with back in those years.. (ala Dillonbuck said)

Originally Posted by Sheister
Sure sounds like a chamber that is cut out of spec. A go/no guage set should indicate if this chamber is cut properly in short order. In any case, it sounds like a couple thousandth's deeper cut with the finish reamer and a little polishing should take care of it. IMO

Of course, this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. smile

Bob
Yep - could be that... FWIW, it can also be ammo that's out of spec.. I've run into THAT a few times..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Well the only thing good I can say about Winchester is that the supervisor called back. And sung the same old broken record:
basically I am screwed. They will not stand behind any G series Model 70 and don't care if it blows up....not their fault.
So if you have one of these, pray you don't need help cause you ain't gonna get it. Screw Winchester and through my contacts
in the local gun market, this will cost them a whole lot more money than fixing this.

Thanks to all above who have offered ideas and help. I really appreciate it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good for you. I would phugk em as hard as I could, too. I don't care who owns the company now. It still says Winchester out front. And if you want to get the good that comes with that, well you better be willing to accept some of the bad. Otherwise, change the marquis to Browning.
Just sayin.

One thing a lot of American companies don't understand. Bad press on the internet is like nuclear waste..It NEVER goes away. Any google search on Winchester and another keyword or 2 is going to find this thread 10-15-20 years from now.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Well the only thing good I can say about Winchester is that the supervisor called back. And sung the same old broken record:
basically I am screwed. They will not stand behind any G series Model 70 and don't care if it blows up....not their fault.
So if you have one of these, pray you don't need help cause you ain't gonna get it. Screw Winchester and through my contacts
in the local gun market, this will cost them a whole lot more money than fixing this.

Thanks to all above who have offered ideas and help. I really appreciate it.

The reason Winchester will not service the "G" series rifles is that of product liability insurance issues or lack of on rifles they did not build. Savage Arms had the same policy after emerging from bankruptcy, which was any rifle with an "F" serial number prefix or earlier could not be serviced by Savage.

Doc

Last edited by doctor_Encore; 10/25/17.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So today I took bolt apart and cleaned and oiled it. Nothing of note inside except it was DRY.
Really cleaned barrel with emphasis on chamber area....really dirty....so I tried to load it....fired brass not
sized I bought used will not chamber...the 2 emptys from the other day will...
factory loaded rounds will chamber and the bolt can be forced down....will have to shoot it again
to find out what happens now. Will advise...but it will be a few days.
Thanks for help

ASSUMING the chamber is a few thou short is there any reason you aren't just taking a couple of thou off your full length die.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
color one of the bullets with a black sharpie and try chambering the round and see if bullet making contact with the rifling. If so try seating bullet deeper. Not the right answer but at least it gets you closer to figuring out the issue and your next step in fixing it. If you decide to sell it let me know 😁

Last edited by 79S; 10/26/17.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
The saga is complete. UPS just delivered it to me after 2 weeks at Midwest Gun Works in Mo.
They adjusted the headspace and voila! It now chambers the 200 gn. as well, obviously, as all the others.
Now to remount the scope and hit the range.
Thanks to all who offered help and ideas. This is what makes this forum great!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had a similar issue with a similar vintage model 70 and discovered a ring-shaped part of a cartridge neck had broken off and was still sitting in the neck of the chamber. I couldn't see it until I put a scope in the barrel, but ubsequent rounds would not go into the chamber fully, held back about 1/8" by the little ring of brass sitting in the chamber neck.

Good luck with it and tell us what you find!

Justin

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
He already did. See the post just above yours.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm glad to see you got the issue resolved.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

418 members (160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 222ND, 10ring1, 38 invisible), 2,117 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,875
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.