Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Thinking of having one put on my 358 Hawkeye.
I have access to dark burley walnut and a couple other exotic hard wood, and also some ram horn, elephant ivory, mastodon ivory , and walrus baculum, even some hippo teeth...

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Straight Ebony looks best to me...

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Just about any dark or reddish exotic hardwood works. Burled walnut would be fine. Buffalo horn is traditional.

Ivory (or maple) forend tips don't do anything for me, but some folks still like that sort of thing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oosik is too porous and would require filling with epoxy and bubbles turn it into a nightmare unless done wonder pressure.

Rams horn is hollow and will likewise give you fits. Most horn is boiled and run through a press to make it shorter and thicker while getting rid of the hollow. They can literally make it any length and width and height they want, given the volume of horn. A PITA to just wing it.

Ivory dyed black is pretty good looking.

There are a lot of woods that should be avoided just because they are too soft. I have used burly redwood on a few tips on ultralight hunting rifles... The redwood does not resist damage the way a fore end tip is supposed to. But it is pretty.

Get someone with good critical color sense... women see color better than men... to look at it to see if it clashes. Some woods look good but do not look good together.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Years ago I had Karnis put an ebony tip on my .358 Hawkeye. I've always liked it and would highly recommend. Maybe I'll figure out the photo posting rigmarole and get a pic up.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I might do ebony with an ivory spacer and a mastadon grip cap.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would go with Buffalo Horn. Lots of beautiful wood in the world but no matter what you pick,if you go very far from traditional it will just look tacky to some people,no matter how it looks to you. Whatever you choose,I would have a knife made to match.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

carbon fiber =]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I would go with Buffalo Horn. Lots of beautiful wood in the world but no matter what you pick,if you go very far from traditional it will just look tacky to some people,no matter how it looks to you. Whatever you choose,I would have a knife made to match.

Hard to get a solid piece large enough short of boiling and pressing...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...if you go very far from traditional it will just look tacky to some people,no matter how it looks to you...

This. Stick with ebony.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Hard to get a solid piece large enough short of boiling and pressing...

In that case,stabilized ebony.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
Just about any dark or reddish exotic hardwood works. Burled walnut would be fine. Buffalo horn is traditional.

Ivory (or maple) forend tips don't do anything for me, but some folks still like that sort of thing.

I once got a good deal on an Oberndorf Mauser custom in .35 Whelen at an estate sale. The grip cap and forearm tip were elephant ivory. Took me a while to get used to it but now I like it. FWIW, it is currently my favorite rifle. For the OP, probably ebony or some other dark wood would work.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
My buddy has an extensive supply. A full cape set.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If a classic rifle go traditional. Ebony grip caps look great with a small ivory diamond and are still within the classic mode. A small diamond on the fore end checkering and grips can look good too. Much beyond that it could go bad quickly. Now on a Weatherby or Winslow rifle knock your socks off.

Me I would use those materials on knife handles and not monkey with good taste on the rifle.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's something you don't see too often, pewter.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sonoran ironwood would do nicely..

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Sonoran ironwood would do nicely..

Yup, as longs as the colors do not clash with the walnut... some walnuts with strong green tones do not look good with deep orange-red.

Bastogne is an example of a walnut with strong green.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ringworm

I have access to dark burley walnut and a couple other exotic hard wood, and also some ram horn, elephant ivory, mastodon ivory , and walrus baculum, even some hippo teeth...

Would the walrus baculum fall under the "hard wood" category? grin

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have rosewood forend tip and grip cap on a 700Classic. Looks sharp. I imagine the burl walnut would look good as well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by shootinurse; 12/18/17.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A vote for the hippo tooth grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 57 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,571
Posts18,473,285
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.