Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have a pair of rifles with what I call matte stainless finish, a Ruger and a Remington. It seems like anything will put a mar on the finish that won't come off. Oil, solvent, a rub up against something......they all show. Is there any way to get rid of these? I don't like bright stainless barrels, but I've never had a problem with them, only with the matte stainless. By the way, the Ruger is more prone to do this than is the Remington.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bead blast it again

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I painted mine because the mat stainless glowed like a light bulb at dusk. After having a deer look straight at it and spook on several occasions, I stood the rifle up in the same position in the blind and walked out to the place the deer was standing. I was amazed at the way the stainless glowed when I looked back. The bead blasted finish holds paint very well...

Harry
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Bead blast it again
That...

Originally Posted by Mathsr
I painted mine because the mat stainless glowed like a light bulb at dusk. After having a deer look straight at it and spook on several occasions, I stood the rifle up in the same position in the blind and walked out to the place the deer was standing. I was amazed at the way the stainless glowed when I looked back. The bead blasted finish holds paint very well...

No kidding.. I have a M70 Classic SS-Walnut LH in .300WM... Went deer hunting with it - once... Might be OK if the moon's not out - but when I was walking into the woods at 4:30 am on a nice, brisk winter morning under a near-full moon I thought I was holding a Jedi light saber... Never took it hunting again unless it was daylight.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

No kidding.. I have a M70 Classic SS-Walnut LH in .300WM... Went deer hunting with it - once... Might be OK if the moon's not out - but when I was walking into the woods at 4:30 am on a nice, brisk winter morning under a near-full moon I thought I was holding a Jedi light saber... Never took it hunting again unless it was daylight.

[/quote]

if this happened in the moon light what do you think happened in the day light or better yet sun light

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gemby58

if this happened in the moon light what do you think happened in the day light or better yet sun light
Not nearly that bad - and yes, I tried to find out.. smile

Last edited by Redneck; 12/13/17.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Oh geez,
Better go out and paint all my bead blasted stainless barrels now...not!!
Never an issue here.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Never a problem that I've seen. Looks like a poplar or aspen branch, unless you're waving it around like a sword.
About the only thing a deer sees of my stainless classics is a 1/2" doughnut.

[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine are camo painted too because they are maintenance free and don't shine. A guy walked past my deer stand once with the sun at his back and the rifle slung over his shoulder. The flash off that barrel was amazing. I put a very nice buck into a full run at a couple hundred yards when he got a sunlight flash off my M700 RKW high gloss stock, so that stock is replaced with a camo painted one now. Easy touch up and no gun oil stink off the metal painted parts.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
When I hunt with one of my stainless rifles, I wrap the barrel in camo vet wrap. Not painting any of my barrels.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks guys, I posted this same question one time here on the fire and got everything from "I've killed over a thousand deer w/mine" to "are
you crazy"? powdr

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a number of matte stainless barrels on rifles that I use for coyote calling. Never has an issue with them spooking a coyote.

NRA Patron
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Blasting with an abrasive such as sand or oxide will provide a less reflective surface than a glass bead blast. I use fine sand then oil well with LPS 2. It contains beeswax and will darken the blasted stainless for a long time.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1Akshooter, 1936M71, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 61 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 886 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,807
Posts18,496,383
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.