Print Thread
Hop To
H
HughW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I was drawn for a limited entry hunt - black powder - 3 days for Cow Moose on one of our military bases. The hunt has deer, elk, cow and bull moose hunters (approximately 200 in total) all in at the same time so there can be a fair bit of traffic in some locations at times . Conditions were not great as melt and re-freeze had very crunchy snow. Hunting by myself and on heart meds I promised my wife I would not take something to far back in causing a pack out. The method I used on this trip was to pick high spots and spend time glassing with a spotting scope, looking for travelling animals and then try to get in front of them. Day 1 -- saw 5 bulls, 23 deer but no cows. Day -- saw 4 bulls and 1 cow early but I was late on cutting her off. Mid morning I spotted two cows at about 1000 yds moving across a large clearing looking back and travelling towards a strip of brush. I moved over and positioned myself on a corner of two trails -- north / south and east / west. I suspected that if they came out they would cross the east / west line headed south but I had a good view both ways. I took range measurements of mid points on the lines to 150 yds and had a good tree for a rest.

While I was standing a truck came down the north / south line from the north. They stopped and started talking. I asked what they were looking for and just as the passenger said a bull moose the first cow stepped out onto the east west line. I said there she is -- took three steps sideways away from my tree rest, to clear the front of his truck went to a knee and took the shot. I could hear the whop and the guys in the truck yelling you got her, you got your cow. Lot's of smoke drifting up so I did not see the impact. The guys in the truck had big grins and passed on congratulations then drove off.

After a re-load I walked over to where the cow had been standing and there was a patch of hair but no sign of blood. I tracked in about 20 yds, as there was no blood I backed out and walked back to the truck. I made a decision to mark the area and let the animal settle down for 45 minutes to an hour as it was early. After 45 minutes I went in and started tracking. Conditions were really poor with noise from crunchy snow and lot's of old tracks. Taking my time I found the moose veered off to the east and went up hill into some dense scrub poplar. After following the trail for about 150 yds she stood up in the bush and made a wobbly short run and then stopped, obviously hurting. I was able to get an opening for a 2nd shot at about 80 yds and she dropped on a side hill in a tangle of small poplars. I was able to get around to the top of the hill with the truck and had enough rope to pull her up and out.

Firearm -- T/C Pro Hunter. 250 Barnes T-EZ, 100 gr by volume 777. First shot hit the liver, Second shot was upward through a lung, broke the spine and exited. On cleaning, the decision to let her sit was the right one as the cavity was full of blood from the damaged liver.

As I checked out mid day, I never did get the full reaction from the two guys that drove up while I was on stand watching the two lines. Having to step away from someone that drove up to me to have a discussion to take a shot at a big game animal is a first for me. I do wonder what they were thinking -- both driving up to a person on stand and then when I shot.

This was my tenth moose taken with the muzzle loader.

Hugh
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hugh What base were you hunting on ?? Thanks . Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats man! Sounds like a freezer full of tasty moose meat!

How did the TE Z do ( besides the obvious dead moose. Lol!)? Pass throughs?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
H
HughW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by MadMooner
How did the TE Z do ( besides the obvious dead moose. Lol!)? Pass throughs?

The T-EZ do a good job. The 150 ' ish shot did not pass through. It did shred about 25% of the liver. The 2nd shot at 80 yds went between two ribs going in broke the spine cleanly and exited out. Both shots did the job.

The moose previous to this one, First was a quartering away and there was quite a bit of damage in the chest cavity with a good blood trail. The finishing shot was to the neck and I recovered that bullet. Broke the neck bone but did not exit.

Good bullet and very accurate for this rifle.

Hugh
H
HughW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by northcountry
Hugh What base were you hunting on ?? Thanks . Cheers NC

We have two base hunts in Alberta restricted to Alberta residents and indigenous people. Suffield for elk and Wainwright for deer, elk and moose. Both are limited draws. Wainwright is getting high wait times. 1/2 of Wainwright is foot access only the other half can be driven on the multitude of trails created by much larger vehicles than pick up trucks.

Hugh
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats!

I cant believe they didnt stay and help confirm the kill and any help getting it out.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Well done!!!! Congrats!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great story.
Embarrassed for the 2 "sports" that not only drove up, but then drove away after cofirming your hit.
They were likely professional politicians from the USA, now bragging about how they guided you to your moose. Geeze!

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,456
Posts18,471,115
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.