Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by atse
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Ya'll want to see what Coyotes think of dogs get someone who has decoy dog/dogs to take you out some time.

You'll come away a true "Coyote behaviorist".

IMO that's about as fun/exciting as hunting gets.

I had 5 coyotes on my decoy dog once. He was just an Australian shepherd but was good sized and smart. He had gone over the hill and out of sight. I saw the coyotes heading towards him on the run, and I figured I had better to get to the top of the hill in a hurry. By time I got there the fight was on. My dog knew that he was in a fix, and had backed into a big sage brush to protect his back. The coyotes were coming in from the front. My dog grabbed and shook one,and another ran in and bit the dog. My dog knew if he came out of that bush he would be toast. I sat down and killed two of the coyotes right there, and got a third one when it stopped a ways out. My dog was glad I had showed up with the rifle to even it out. One of the dead Coyotes had a who!e mouthful of my dogs hair. On numerous occasions I have seem a couple coyotes try and hide and sneak in from the flanks while another coyote or two held my dogs attention, with the goal being to completly circle the dog. Coyotes can be ingenious little fellers. Most little turd hound pets are not even close to being in the same league. They get ate in short order.

Your dog was a seasoned coyote hunter.

The average house dog is but a quick meal.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It sure happens. Where do you think the ol saying dog eat dog came from? My dogs got so pizzed with being attacked in the night that one of my dogs actually ate a yote once. Poor ol springer spaniel looked pregnant.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by toad
I would not have let the dogs go down, but I was wearing heavy winter garb and knew the coyotes would have a tough time hurting me.

A lawyer bud jumped in a bayou to fight a six foot gator off his lab.

Gator had the dog by the leg, was gonna pull him under and drown him. Bud kept hitting the gator until he let go.

Guess a gator can't bite two victims at the same time.

DF

Even gators draw the line at what kinda taste in their mouth they'll tolerate.......(grin)

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Two coyotes tried to get this little Jack Russell but she was too quick for them. Barked at them and stood her ground until they teamed up on her then she dodged and weaved and made it back to the house. I didn't have a gun by the back door at that time so all I could do was run out there.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Breeding season... That yote was out for a meal.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by kingston
Breeding season... That yote was out for a meal.

Maybe she meant to say Eating Season

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Ive owned 3 JRTs. This pic was tough to look at. You know it went out fighting.

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
34391.jpg (41.85 KB, 104 downloads)

The woods and the water recharge my batteries.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rgramjet

Ive owned 3 JRTs. This pic was tough to look at. You know it went out fighting.

[Linked Image]

Fuque. I cried. I'm so sorry.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Breeding season here is about 6 to 7 weeks out. I watched 3 coyotes working 2 of my neighbor's dogs. Dogs were acting like it was puppy play, but the coyotes were in it for the kill. Noise from the morning trash pickup caused the coyotes to clear out. In some ways, one could say Boozer was a lucky dog.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/15/17.

1Minute
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
In the 15 yrs I lived in the foothills I shot 5 coyotes trying to mess with my dogs. And I had a small Airedale and a large Yellow Lab. If there was a bunch of them only one would approach the dog(s), stop a short distance away and start barking etc. If one of my dogs gave chase the single yote would try to lead them back to the others. Luckily either my dogs quit chasing or I started shooting before anything ever happened. One neighbor did have his two Border Collies attacked by a pack right in front of him. He wasn't armed but did manage to run the yotes off before they killed his dogs. Had some vet bills tho.

On the other hand, down thru the years my dogs have had several interactions with foxes and all the foxes did was try to play with the dogs like they were puppies!

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I pity the coyote that tries to mess with my pack.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My buddy had a giant ornery hyper protective Chesapeake Bay Retreiver. They lived at the end of a long rural private drive on a little farm with a little livestock and a few horses. The dog was hell on everyone who wasn't a member of the household. He terrorized delivery drivers and extended family alike. His favorite thing in the world was killing coyotes and kill them he did. When he was 7 or so he took got into it with 7. They opened up his throat and his belly. After killing all seven he drug himself home, guts hanging out, his coat sopping with blood. The vet might have been able to put him back together, but after all the bullshït they put him down. He was a hard dog to like, even for his owner. His passion for killing coyotes was lost on none.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
dang, that was close! I've got a feeling Boozer is gonna start pissing in the dark corner of the living room 'til they get him house trained again.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The gal was right- the coyote was probably just out marking its territory...

when it ran across Bowser and tried to kill him.

I had a Pointer and a couple of German Wirehaired Pointers that have tangled with coyotes, the coyotes faired the worst of those encounters. My wife has a 6 pound ankle biter I am afraid will be a coyote meal some day. She lets it outside and maybe watches from the window if she has nothing else going on. One of these days...

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Traps are by far the most effective method of killing yotes. However they are nearly impossible to employ safely in urbanized areas. This creates a sanctuary for them in the cities where guns and traps can’t be used. They are figuring this out. This problem will keep getting worse.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Man, reading some of these stories is fascinating and heartbreaking. Seeing that JRT in the coyote's mouth made me feel a little rage. My dog is a human to me. She's very submissive. I doubt she'd give up a fight at all. When she was about 4 months old I was walking her along the banks of a bayou when a female gator guarding her nest lunged at her. I instinctively jumped in between them and the gator lunged at me. The gator was small, but she was nasty. I went back the next day and got my wife to film it trying to get me. I need to stir that up and post it.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
For a fifteen year old Westie, he handled himself quite bravely. A Westie in his prime would likely have been able to deliver some punishment to a coyote before the end. Glad this one got away with his life. Good argument for keeping, larger, tougher dogs, and multiples of them, though, if you live near coyote ranges.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
It sure happens. Where do you think the ol saying dog eat dog came from?

Same place the term "dogfight" came from. If you've ever seen a dog and a coyote running full speed, ducking and dodging to try to get "the six" on one another and going in for a shot when they get the drop, you recognize it instantly.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I live up here in the NC mountains, way out in the woods. We have a few coyotes up here, sometimes I hear them yapping and howling at night.
Only have seen one. One day I was taking my dog for a walk on my driveway, he was out ahead of me, and out of sight around the curve.
Suddenly, here came my little dog at about 90 mph, he was looking right at me and he was yelling "Help me Dad."
About 7 feet behind him was a coyote. That coyote was about 30 feet away from me when he saw me, he did the fastest 180 in history, and in about 1.5 seconds he was gone! It was like a magician's trick, watching that coyote disappear.

The woods are so thick up here it is hard to get even a 40 yard shot when deer hunting, almost impossible to get a shot at a coyote.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I know of a ranch in montana where you would see coyotes with some spots from time to time. Yes the ranch dog was spotted. He was a larger dog so that might have made a difference.

But domestic will mix with coyotes.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

684 members (16gage, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,988 guests, and 1,423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,617
Posts18,492,622
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.