Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Going way back, Andrew Jackson sort of blocked for the other left leaning presidents.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Folks have been doing a crummy job of raising their kids since kids were invented.

Raise your kids right, teach them to work had and value honesty and will have no problems.

If you go by what you see on the TV, you might believe that the whole world is Pajama boy.........nothing could be further from the truth.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Look at the content of kids shows and cartoons today....it's rather disgusting...we grew up watching Hopalong Cassidy Andy Griffith and happy days...all with good lessons

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Look at the content of kids shows and cartoons today....it's rather disgusting...we grew up watching Hopalong Cassidy Andy Griffith and happy days...all with good lessons

That old stuff just perpetuated Straight, White Patriarchy. It's bad, real bad.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mathman

That old stuff just perpetuated Straight, White Patriarchy. It's bad, real bad.

LOL. Exactly.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

You don't have to let them watch it.

I am MAGA.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by wabigoon
What about private, church, or home schooling? Think that might help?

Not in the modern world.

Most parents today don't have the time education and skills to educate their kids with the skills they will need in the modern economy.

As for home schooling, are you prepared to teach your kids to code, advanced math etc?

In my daughters 8th grade math class the teacher told the kids NONE of their parents would be able to help them with their math homework.....at which point she pointed at my daughter and said "except yours". cool

Also kids need to be properly socialized. Separating them from the world does not prepare them for it. They need to experience it so they can understand the enemy and what they are up against. On a regular basis, my kids and I discuss their homework and what the teachers/text books are leaving out. I teach them skepticism, and standards of evidence so they can properly evaluate what's presented to them in a critical fashion.

However,

Since most of you old foggies are out of touch with what's happening in the real world, you are missing the bigger picture. The current generation is actually the MOST SKEPTICAL in the history of the U.S. They are the least likely to accept what they are fed by institutions, schools, governments, churches etc. at face value. They are very quick to call BS, and throw the red flag. Everyday that my kids go to school and listen to the liberal BS they become more libertarian, and it's not must my kids.....

Homeschooling does not (necessarily) lead to poor socialization. Separating them from the world? Do you mean separating them from the often vulgar, undisciplined classmates they'd have in a public school, and from the liberal claptrap of many of their teachers? That's exactly why we homeschooled our sons! It is my duty as a parent to protect my children from harm (physical, intellectual, and moral harm) and that's what we tried to do. My oldest son was homeschooled through high school, went to a small private liberal arts-type university as an undergraduate, did grad school in a large public university, and now is a professor in a large public university. His social skills are just fine, thank you very much. The other two were homeschooled for a few years until we allowed them to go to the Christian academy run by the church we had begun attending. They have done well in the real world too. They are all Christian conservatives that represent their generation quite well. In fact, they are far superior to what their old man was at the same age.

I realize that not all children who attend public schools are riff-raff. My sons met a lot of kids from public schools at church and through rec-league baseball and basketball and some of them were good kids with good parents. Some were not and our sons tried to be a good example for them and to reach out to them. You should realize as well that not all homeschooled kids are isolated from the real world, in fact very few are. Check this out: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/01/homeschooled-students-wel_n_1562425.html. A little casual research on your part would have dispelled this notion of homeschoolers being sub-par in any area you care to choose.

I know folks on The Fire who've home schooled their kids and done a fine job. I know other's who've turned it into a train wreck. Two of the biggest reasons people home school their kids around here (NOT saying this is the case with you) is because they are Young Earth Creationist who don't want their kids to receive a proper science education, or they are too lazy to get their kids up and to school on time. The YEC's tend to be the isolationist who don't properly prepare their kids for the modern world, and the later....well....do a great job preparing them for a life on welfare.

Extraordinary parents who home-school their kids can produce extraordinary kids. However, economic studies show these parents could sent their kids to most any school and they would still be extraordinary. The apple does not fall far from the tree.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Values children get from parents ,cannot be subtitled.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

You don't have to let them watch it.

We don't have regular cable TV, just access to several streaming services. I found it very interesting how my kids choose not to watch the disgusting crap the networks would try to feed them if the choice were left to the networks.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[/quote]

I know folks on The Fire who've home schooled their kids and done a fine job. I know other's who've turned it into a train wreck. Two of the biggest reasons people home school their kids around here (NOT saying this is the case with you) is because they are Young Earth Creationist who don't want their kids to receive a proper science education, or they are too lazy to get their kids up and to school on time. The YEC's tend to be the isolationist who don't properly prepare their kids for the modern world, and the later....well....do a great job preparing them for a life on welfare.

Extraordinary parents who home-school their kids can produce extraordinary kids. However, economic studies show these parents could sent their kids to most any school and they would still be extraordinary. The apple does not fall far from the tree. [/quote]

I guess I should be flattered by the part about the apple not falling far from the tree. smile I have no doubt my kids would have done well academically in most any school. And no doubt some kids who go through the public school system come through with their character and morals intact, and with the knowledge they need to succeed in the next phase of their life, be that college or the workforce. But why take the chance if you don't have to? Do those economic studies tell how many kids who could have become solid, or even extraordinary, citizens but have gone off the tracks because they fell in with the wrong crowd in school? I'd bet it happens a heck of a lot more often than does a YEC's kid going on welfare. With nearly 2 million kids being homeschooled, there are bound to be a few weird ones; but those kids will be weird in whatever school they are put in. Taken as a whole, homeschooled kids tend to outperform public school students in every measurable way, except perhaps athletically.

I have a daughter-in-law who teaches first grade in the public school system, and the stories I hear make me want to cry. They come from homes where there is no discipline, and the school is able to exert any control over their behavior either. They are doomed, and I would do whatever I had to in order to assure that my kids or grandkids did not have to be in the same classroom as those kids. Bottom line, there are too many people who shouldn't have custody of children, and a government-run anything is inevitably corrupted from its original purpose, however well-intended that purpose was.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
When there are so many Union Fudds in the world having kids, it's what happens.

Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Ya know I always figured "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" didn't just apply to those who could afford it. Like it or not we are about the only 1st world country that doesn't view basic healthcare as a basic human right...frankly that's [bleep] up.

Maybe it's just because I like to think for myself, not just blindly follow a party line but, in this case, Sanders is right on the money. The plan he put forward is exactly what I've been saying for years.

Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Haven't you seen enough people financially ruined just because they got sick? I've seen it too many times already. Seen a guy I knew in his 30s with 2 kids fight brain cancer for 4 years before it took him and left a pile of bills his family may never be able to pay. Saw good friends of my parents completely wiped out after losing the wife's 20 year fight with cancer. Local guy died here last spring because he couldn't afford his heart meds...this [bleep] happens all the time and, as a country, we need to do something about it.

You can call me what you want, I'm a pro life and 2nd amendment son of a USMC Vietnam Vet. My family has been farming in this area for 7 generations. I've been a Concrete Carpenter for 20 years and have busted my ass for everything I've ever had. If that bothers you well, good for you.

A Bernie supporter is bitching about how its hard to raise his kids proper? I've seen it all.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16gage, 17CalFan, 160user, 16penny, 52 invisible), 2,784 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,429
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.