Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
Are you bragging or confessing about spending "15+ days in the field this year"?

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by iddave
Are you bragging or confessing about spending "15+ days in the field this year"?

Dave

Was thinking the same thing...

15 days covers about, well, my last 15 days..

I personally do not like to even opine on gear etc. until I've spent a season with it, which is usually over 100 days hunting. 15 days is hardly a sample size for all conditions...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I think it matters more what people think that actually use product in the field, not punch paper at their local gun range 3 times a year. paper punchers 3x a year is some of the people that parrot group think and forum pack mentality.

Ironic, ain't it??

What about people who use the product once indoors, not mounted on a rifle ? What mentality do they have?

And since you're obviously the most experienced guy here, what is the best scope for punching curtains indoors, without a rifle?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LOL. Some guys are just gluttons for punishment and oblivious to the irony of their comments.

Having shot with a few of the commenters on this thread, one of them a personal friend and shooting/hunting buddy, I know who shoots, more than a bunch, and who doesn't. My buddy and I have thousands of rounds under LRHSs, this year alone. Only a tiny fraction at paper or the range. They work very well for long range shooting and hunting, under many conditions. Full stop. Guys who obsess over the reticle at low power have completely missed the point. Again.

We shoot a variety of different scopes, across the design and budget spectrums. If a scope doesn't 'work'... It gets tripped or packed away. Got nothing to do with spending dollars wrong and being too proud to admit, or forum pack mentality. I own much more expensive scopes, but still, the 3-12 LRHS is my hands down favorite scope that I own.

OP, if you have your mind set on a NF, save up and get one. Buy what you really want, or you'll always wonder. But the LRHSs are far from a poor choice.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well the LHRS sucks at lowlight. It is TRUE. I read it on the internet. Guess I better sell both of mine because they won't work in lowlight. I'll go get a Z3 or a VX3 so that I can "see" the reticle in lowlight. Who needs a scope that is built like a tank, dead nuts reliable, and tracks perfectly!!? What you need is a scope that you can use in lowlight, because you know thats the only time you will shoot at big game. Not to mention that is the best time to shoot at a game animal, when the light is low enough that it makes it hard to see your reticle. Silly me.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wrongside
LOL. Some guys are just gluttons for punishment and oblivious to the irony of their comments.

Having shot with a few of the commenters on this thread, one of them a personal friend and shooting/hunting buddy, I know who shoots, more than a bunch, and who doesn't. My buddy and I have thousands of rounds under LRHSs, this year alone. Only a tiny fraction at paper or the range. They work very well for long range shooting and hunting, under many conditions. Full stop. Guys who obsess over the reticle at low power have completely missed the point. Again.

We shoot a variety of different scopes, across the design and budget spectrums. If a scope doesn't 'work'... It gets tripped or packed away. Got nothing to do with spending dollars wrong and being too proud to admit, or forum pack mentality. I own much more expensive scopes, but still, the 3-12 LRHS is my hands down favorite scope that I own.

OP, if you have your mind set on a NF, save up and get one. Buy what you really want, or you'll always wonder. But the LRHSs are far from a poor choice.

Over the span of 2 days, Ws and I put nearly 1000 rounds on steel from LRHS-scoped rifles alone, not including the rifles wearing other scopes, including shooting in dawn and dusk conditions. I can’t imagine how hard it would have been to make hits if those steel plates had curtains hanging over them.

Most years I spend 15+ days chasing critters just between Sept 15 and Oct 15. The LRHS hasn’t been a hindrance in low light, on low mag, at all. Is it the ideal low-light, close range reticle? No. The German #4 would likely get the nod there. But I don’t know of a reticle that rides the line between close-range, low-light work and long-range precision work as well as the G2H does.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Haha. That was a fun weekend, with lots of great shooters and great guys. But... I'll drive next time... 😜😉

Last edited by Wrongside; 12/17/17.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I smell a story there......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not at lot to tell really. Just a couple of AB boys- who don't know the meaning of, 'turn around'- on a road trip, in a overloaded TDI Jetta wagon, that should have come factory with skid plates and maybe a winch... a certain deceptive GPS and what it defined as 'highways' in N. Montana... In the end, it's not reasonable or fair, (to the other people in the vehicle wink ) for one individual having to both drive and 'navigate'... So, I'll drive my Toyota next time, just in case... laugh

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you're talking about the icebreaker, I'm pretty sure huntsman22 and I drove that same road the first time we were up there too, looked good on the gps.......

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a Swaro Z3 4-12x50 Plex scope because I got a bunch of LL Bean gift certificate money last Christmas and by cashing credit card reward points, and that’s the best scope they have that I could get with the gift card amount. I put it on the 20” .308 DPMS Hunter, and I love the scope.

However, I previously have owned and used four Bushnell Elite 6500 scopes (a 2.5-16x42mm [on my 7mm Wby]; two 2.5-16x50mm [on my .340 Wby and my M1A]; and a 1.25-8x32mm, which they sadly don’t make any more, on my 375 Wby]).

All of these 6500s have been great to me without any troubles at all despite suffering tremendous recoil. The Swaro might be just the slightest touch brighter, but not enough that I would notice in the field. And I really like the 2.5x16 range. For possible close-in shots I leave it in 2.5x-power, and, if I need something like 16x-power, it would mean that I am taking a really long range shot, and almost certainly will have the extra 1/2 second it takes to dial the scope up.

I love both the Swaro and the Bushnells, but if I had to choose between the two for a really important hunt, I probably would pick the Bushnell.

I’m not sure I linked the pics correctly. But, if so, they show some of what I described above.

https://imgur.com/waPXvId

https://imgur.com/7YDpoJs

https://imgur.com/tZt46xT

https://imgur.com/sqA6gup

https://imgur.com/3jnkFdI

https://imgur.com/lFvICMB

Last edited by MarineHawk; 12/17/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
If you're talking about the icebreaker, I'm pretty sure huntsman22 and I drove that same road the first time we were up there too, looked good on the gps.......

I should rename the shoot the "BFE".....you know, that far away, hard to find place in a remote place in the Middle East....;)

Finding the site for the first time(or second), can be a challenge in itself.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not at lot to tell really. Just a couple of AB boys- who don't know the meaning of, 'turn around'- on a road trip, in a overloaded TDI Jetta wagon, that should have come factory with skid plates and maybe a winch... a certain deceptive GPS and what it defined as 'highways' in N. Montana... In the end, it's not reasonable or fair, (to the other people in the vehicle wink ) for one individual having to both drive and 'navigate'... So, I'll drive my Toyota next time, just in case... laugh

Jordan drives a Volkswagen? At least it wasn't a Subaru eek

Last edited by gerry35; 12/17/17.

Gerry.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh snap! Bahahahaha!!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by smokepole

I should rename the shoot the "BFE".....you know, that far away, hard to find place in a remote place in the Middle East....;)

Finding the site for the first time(or second), can be a challenge in itself.

One road looks as good as another on a smart phone. Maybe they're not so smart after all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gerry35

Jordan drives a Volkswagen? At least it wasn't a Subaru eek

Wrongside is just jealous that my other vehicle is a man's truck with a 7.3L engine, not a girly little Toyota with a 5.7.

Say what you want about the diesel Jetta, but that trip from Calgary to the IBS and back, ran about $60 in fuel, IIRC grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
[Say what you want about the diesel Jetta.......

Jordan, don't let him give you any static about your ride. The year after my divorce, I drove up there in a Toyota Corolla. The landowner looked at me with a disbelieving expression on his face and asked "You drove all the way from Texas in THAT?"

I replied "Yes sir, eyerything's bigger in Texas except my bank account."

smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lmao!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by oldslowdog
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Say what you want about the diesel Jetta.......

Jordan, don't let him give you any static about your ride. The year after my divorce, I drove up there in a Toyota Corolla. The landowner looked at me with a disbelieving expression on his face and asked "You drove all the way from Texas in THAT?"

I replied "Yes sir, eyerything's bigger in Texas except my bank account."

smile

LOL! That is awesome!

I don't know what Jordan was going on about 5.7 this and that. By Toyota, I meant that I'd drive our other vehicle, a Corolla... wink

You're right tho, Jordan. Pretty hard to beat the fuel economy of those VW TDIs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah, but.....ya gotta set up a tent.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

408 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 160user, 1lesfox, 222ND, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,092 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,875
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.