Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RufusG
Another good reason not to: America-hating whining butt-wipe Jimmy Carter wanted it.

Perhaps the best reason of all but, after using the metric system more and more, I've come to see that it's pretty easy. Everything is in multiples of 10 (I think).

GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
As a tool and die maker, I deal with the metric system daily.

The most used numbers on my pocket calculator are .03937.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don`t know. Milimeters, centimeters and Kilometers sound like bugs to me.I can`t quite get myself to look at a steak and think of it as being 3cm thick......

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jcdixon77
I think snap-on,crafstmen,and mac pay lobbyist to make us buy both types of wrenches lolol
FRANCE SUX too

That's one of my favorite theories too....

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only time I use metric is when I am dealing with map and compas because a unit of 10 makes it unnecessary for me to take off my boots to count. So long as ya don't even THINK miles it is easier. BUTTT 8 KM = 5 miles

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my line of work we constantly go back and forth...
grams to pounds, pascals to psi, BTUs to joules, etc.
Gets old sometimes!!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
1 cubic centimeter equals one milliliter equals one gram of water, and it takes one calorie to raise one gram of water one degree.

It may be tough to admit, but if the French designed this system, then they got at least one thing right.

Oh, there is that kissing thing, and French toast, and French fries and a couple of cute actresses I can think of.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
THIS IS AMERICA. WE HAVE THE FREEDOM TO CHOOSE! Use the one you want and let the rest of us do the same!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

8mmwapiti

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Being a Canuck born in the early 70's I have been fortunately forced to be relatively fluent in Metric and Imperial Measure.

Around the house I measure in inches utill the fractions get less than 1/8th, then I am down to millimetres. I will always drive xxKm at xxKm/hour. I will by gas at xx.x cents per litre $x.xx dollars per gallon scares me.

I have no idea why we measure fuel economy in Litres per 100 km. I think it's dumb.

I will always been xx lbs in weight and 5 foot 11 3/4 inches tall (and that missing 1/4 inch is a sore point with me).

I guess some will always stick solely to imperial, especially in the US because for some it is a point of pride. However when it comes to something really important the US is very metric, and that is money. Except for nickles, quarters and 5 dollar bills every thing is base 10 which is metric. Kind of funny eh?

Often the intelligence of others is incorrectly gauged by how closely their opinions match our own.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is a real joy navigating at low level when you maps are based on kilometers and your airspeed indicator reads knots. Stupid metric system.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Who else on the planet still uses grains for powder and bullets, or dram equivalent for shotshell charges?

I love combinations of measuring systems...example: European Shotgun Shells, i.e. 12/70, taking what amounts to a fractional/non-decimal measure of a Pound, and expressing its length in millimeters.

I still half expect muzzle velocities to pop up expressed in furlongs per fortnight.

You would probably like a book by John Allen Paulos called Innumeracy. In it, he mentioned things such as expressing the rate of hair growth in miles per hour, and how many of his students are skeptical that such expressions can be made. Furlongs per fortnight.....I will resist converting my velocity figures to this. I hope.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The US is more metric that you are led to believe. All food products are listed in metric weights or measures. So, we still talk about miles and gallons, but who cares? The Canadians still think pounds and quarts when buying food and milk, after 25 years.

I function just fine in either system, but outside of the sciences, there really is no benefit to working in grams vs. pounds. So what if we go to metric. Are we all going to throw out our cup measures for gram scales? Heck, even the Europeans use marked measures to convert the weights in their cookbooks to volume quantities!

Then again, at the hatcheries, I have trained all my managers to work in grams on the small stuff, simply because the bone-heads can't remember if there are 12 or 16 ounces to a pound....... LOL!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In Europe we use the metric system, but we also talk about 30-06, 308win,375H&H.And americans also talks about 9.3x62 and 6.5x55.
When reloading almost everyone everyone talks about grains.But when I measure velocity I use most m/s, but also f/s .
And when talking about scopes everyone says a 40mm scope, I have never seen an american talking about a 11/2" scope.

So you can't say americans don't use the metric system, they use both.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The English system, having evolved from engineering practice, is a much more intuitive and has more meaningful units than the metric system, which was has some similar units (meter vs yard), but most of the rest are less useful. For example, a millimeter is still not fine enough for carpentry, much less cabinet making or metalwork. Neither is 0.1 millimeter. But 0.01 millimeter is too fine for fine woodwork, and not fine enough still for fine metalwork. So they have to use fractional metrics.

The metric system derives liquid measurements from the cubic centimeter, yielding the liter, which is close to a quart.

The English system starts with the volumetric measurements of gallon for wet and bushel for dry, and does not try to make them fit cubic inches. Again, the subunits are binary - you just keep halving the measure, which is very practical for a balance scale, and something that doesn't work in metric.

A calorie is a nice small unit of heat energy for a serving of food, but a Btu ( heating one pound of water one degree F ) is much more comprehensible and practical for engineering calculations.

Metric countries still use the English system of time, which relates directly to the English system of measurement.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
metric sucks because when dealing with temperature a 3 degree change in celcius is a LOT of change. It tells me nothing of how hot or cold out it is. Unlike 60 degrees F is coolish and 75 degrees is warm. a 15 degree change in celcius is HOT to freezing! no wiggle room. I hate it.

Also for me there is no reference point for how long a meter is or a kilometer or centimeter.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the USA converted to metric, it would mean virtually everybody would have to inventory both metric and standard parts and tools for many many years. Overlap for repairs of older equipment would be very costly unless everybody agreed to not fix anything older than the metric conversion date.

Last edited by Rolly; 02/13/07.

Rolly
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In time the US will be converted whether they want to or not. Examine any new car and see how many of the components are now metric due to the sale of vehicles all over the world.
We have had metric in Canada for about 35 years now. I am still more comfortable working in Imperial measure. My children, however, who are in their forties don't understand what I am referring to when I mention temperatures in Imperial.
Most in the US forget their government reneged on their word to go metric with the rest of the continent back in the 70's. If they had done so the confusion would mostly have been gone within the next 10 or 20 years. Like it or not the change will come.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
the bone-heads can't remember if there are 12 or 16 ounces to a pound

Obviously, some of them were brought up on the Troy system....or maybe they are just boneheads.

Be not weary in well doing.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"What do Liberia, Burma, and the United States have in common?

They are the only three countries on the planet that have not officially adopted the metric (SI) system of measurement."

Not quite.

The metric system was instituted in France in 1795 and made mandatory by King Louis XVI.

Napoleon did not become Emperor until 1805.

In 1812 Napoleon suspended the mandatory provisions of the metric system making its use optional.

In 1840 France once again made it mandatory.

In 1866 the US made use of the metric system optional while making it unlawful to refuse to trade or deal in metric quantities.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We hate what we don't understand.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (222Sako, 264mag, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 46 invisible), 17,349 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,930
Posts18,539,151
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.