Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great thread!

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
OK guys, there ought to be some initial reports back now.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Mannlicher and I are the only ones that have a knife in hand.

Journeyman's is out for a sheath. He is going to do the more extensive (more lab like) testing plus
field work. His is the second blade from the right.

Sam and I will be more along the lines of field use experience.

I have used the far right knife in the pic of 8 above to do some whittling and batoning.
I am quite impressed with the edge holding, but that is just user impression not
data based. Still a pretty good edge after 15 minutes of whittling and chopping dry and hard
oak and beech wood.

The second and third blade from the left can be available is some one is interested.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MILES58
OK guys, there ought to be some initial reports back now.

it works fantastic as a kitchen knife. I'm down in Miami again, with no opportunity here to use the knife. Hope to try it out before too long, after I get back to my North Florida home.

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No further reports on this steel yet?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MILES58
No further reports on this steel yet?

Was thinking the same thing. Would like to hear how sharp users are getting their knives. Are they reaching "scary sharp" levels, and how long does it last and how long does it take to sharpen verses 1095.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I have been procrastinating. I bought this one to use with dead animals, and I just have not killed anything this spring. I am not going to chop wood, carve spoons or baton firewood with it.
So far, I know it works well with supermarket meat, and with Antelope, pork and venison from the freezer.

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I know--no pics, so it did not happen.

I got to bloody one of the knives I made using CPM-4 on a deer opening morning.
The cutting edge showed no deterioration, but I would expect that with use on just one animal.

The blade I used was .160" thick at the spine and the blade bevel about 85% of the width..
That did prove to be more wedge than ideal for cutting meat.
I would think (as with any steel) that something in the .100" to .125" is a better
thickness for processing meat and skinning.

Hope the three 24hr members who have one of this batch (M4 at 63.5 Rc) get to use them more extensively and
can report on the results.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Tim, My son shot a fat four point this morning. I used the M4 skinner, along with two of your other knives. The lad and I were very impressed with the performance of the M4 blade. Deer zipper. Shaving sharp after finishing up.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Mannlicher; 11/20/18.

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
From Frank on M4 blade I made for him
"Tim,

Finally had a chance to use the M4 knife you made me. I used it to skin a frozen whitetail doe and bone it out. The blade held an amazing edge through the skinning to the point where I felt I had to be careful with it. I've cut up quite a lot of deer with quite a few knives and usually don't feel like I have to unduly careful. I was more cautious with your knife. I don't know if you've ever skinned a frozen deer or not, but it's no fun and not far off from skinning an ice cube. The blade had lost some edge by the time I had the deer boned out. I cut against a fair amount of bone while cutting off the fore legs and boning out the loins. Also you end up cutting through the hide and hair pretty often when trying to peel the hide off a frozen carcass. I ended up taking the hide off in 2 pieces just to make it easier, so cut through quite a lot of deer hair. I use a DMT Diafold sharpener in fine grit that's pretty well worn out. 4 strokes per side brought it back to hair shaving sharp.

I have knives in D2 (Ingram and Dozier), S30V folders mostly, Elmax (another maker here), CPM-154 (Page, Hendrix, Davis) and some others. I don't think any of them would have done as well as your M4 blade at Rockwell. I think a thinner blade like 3/32 in a 3.25 inch or so in that steel and temper would be an incredible cutter and take up no room in a pack.

Thanks for making it fore me. I'd be happy to give you more specifics if you'd like, either my message or telephone."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS:
I am thinking of doing one more run in a couple months using M4.
If so, I will be going thinner with the material, and smaller with the blades in general.
I went a little on the thick side with the first run thinking the blades were more for heavy duty.
A thinner blade and cutting edge and a 63.5 Rc should be a great cutter and skinner.

Thanks
Tim

Albert Einstein

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
MRK, if the second blade from the left in the picture is still available I would like to claim it. Send me a PM please.

Crow

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Crow
Yeah, the second from the left and the big one in the center are not handled yet.

I had thought I would make myself a set out of them using a large elk tine to handle them both with.
But, I have "personal" knives up my patootie, so PM coming your way.
Tim

Albert Einstein

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Tim, I think I might be interested in the big semi skinner if that is the last one available. If it is, can you PM me to discuss dimensions and such?

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Sure.

Albert Einstein

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Patiently waiting and drooling over pics here.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
local
The blades just mentioned recently above are in the pic posted by Mannlicher in the middle of page three of this thread.

The pic of your blade that is in queue for heat treat I sent to you. Blank plus ground along with 10 other blades

I have not mastered the posting of pics here, so once in a while a member helps with that.

Thanks
Tim

Albert Einstein

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,188
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.