Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
mine is an 03, tundracar bought new w/auto transmission. plain jane. never had a problem, tires, wipers, battery. drove it 50,000 miles first year on a project out in jackson, ms. has about 135,000 since i retired.

the new tundras seem a bit large. the new tacoma's are bit undersize, at least maybe. next one will either be new tundra, ford f150 or maybe a new jeep wrangler pickup. i'm concerned the jeep pickup will sell at top dollar for at least the first year. that will be a deal breaker. may just keep the 03 tundra.

GB1

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a 2016 Tundra TRD SR5 in Blazing Blue a snug top to match and I love this thread !!
5.7 engine and 38 gallon fuel tank

Last edited by byd; 12/18/17.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Wish my 2008 tundra had a 38 gallon fuel tank. Mine is a little small when towing my trailer. 26 gal.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

My son had a 2008 Tacoma 4X4 off road which he loved. It was totaled buy a Harley. New 2017 Tacoma has 3.5L
engine, 2008 had 4.0 engine, he says 4.0L had more torque and liked that motor better. All other features of 2017
are better than the 2008.Gets about 1 mile per gal better than 2008.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
This summer I traded my '14 Tundra (TRD Rock Warrior edition) in on a '17 TRD Pro (updated version of the same truck. I ran the '14 for four years and 90,000 without a hiccup. We generally use my truck as a family car, fits the two teenage boys, two little house dogs, my retriever in back and everything we need for a week up north or wherever. I have run it off road in the woods and on the beach down at Hatteras. Towing my duckboat (18' semi-V hull jonboat w/90 hsp) you wouldn't even know you've got something on behind. Hook it up to the big boat (several thousand pound Grady White) and you know something's there, but it's no sweat getting on the interstate and you don't slow down any for the hills, you just know something's there. So far I've got 9,000 on the new truck and I couldn't be happier. I get about 17 on the highway if I keep it reasonable. Just for schitz and giggles I tried driving like an old lady for a while, the mileage indicator showed me getting over 18 mpg....can't stand driving like that for long, though. Told my brother (Dodge Ram Hemi's for years) that I only got about 12 mpg's driving around in 4wd when we're going through a few days of lake effect....he said, "Schitt, that's all I get with my Dodge on the highway.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Tundra is not as good as a Tacoma in my opinion.

Just curious as to why you feel that way. I've had 3 Tacomas and two Tundras. No problems with the Tacos, but I can't say as I think they're any better than the Tundras.

Mathew 22: 37-39

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
My 2012 has a little over 100,000 miles on it. Going in for new tires this week sometime. They have a buy 3 get one for $1 deal going on. Mostly all I've done on mine is Maintenance, oil changes (strictly mobil 1) and a filter or two. Just curious they say I'm do for a transmission fluid change and a radiator fluid change. How many of you actually do that? I haven't towed a single thing with this truck, and don't see the issue, but I'm curious. I need to get 300k out of this at least because I'm hoping it's the last one, but who knows?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put 280K on my 2002 Tundra. I did have to replace the tranny, but that was my own damn fault.

I've got the 5.7 now, but I hear they are bullet-proof as well.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I owned a Auto Repair shop, Plus I tow a 27ft Trailer about half time. Drained all my trans fluid at 50,000 miles.
Best thing you can do for a transmission. Changed gear oil also. Changed coolant. I change coolant by age 3 to 5 years.

Last edited by GunTruck50; 12/18/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bugs4
Ok, I don't want to hijack this thread but my 2010 (5.7 and 4.10 gears) is absolutely worthless in the snow. You MUST put it in 4WD to go anywhere on even a slight uphill grade if there is a bit of slush or snow. If not, the anti-lock brake grabbing system just kicks in which is next to worthless. The thing apparently does not have a real limited slip differential in the rear. My old suburban will go like there is no tomorrow and I can't remember when I had to use 4WD in that thing. Question for all you tundra guys. . . . am I missing something? I just love this truck (after 5 silverados) but can't stand this "faux posi-traction thing. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Mike in central Penna.

Mine does the same thing. Yes, annoying, but you can manually turn the VSC off with a button on the dash. If you want all the traction and vehicle stability control systems off, you hold down the VSC button for three seconds while stopped. I have a steep driveway and I've just gotten in the habit of switching to 4x4 when it's snowy or icy.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Tag. Been thinking about a Tundra for a few months.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Not crazy about electronic traction control or what ever they call it on my 2008 Tundra. I liked
Limited slip differential my 2002 tundra had. My sons Tacoma has a locking rear differential
he likes it, not sure I would. Maybe he,ll lone me his new truck for a while to try it out. Fat chance.

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like the Tundras a lot. I don't currently own one.....yet. Aside from the worse than average gas mileage, I hope none of you Tundra owners have to change out the starter. It is under the intake manifold. I kid you not. BIL had to have his done on his first Tundra, a 2010 I believe. Cost him around $800.00 just in labor. Course, starters don't really fail that often, but how in the world does an engineer put it under the intake??!!

Guess I will see what is what come 2020. wink

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
My 2012 has a little over 100,000 miles on it. Going in for new tires this week sometime. They have a buy 3 get one for $1 deal going on. Mostly all I've done on mine is Maintenance, oil changes (strictly mobil 1) and a filter or two. Just curious they say I'm do for a transmission fluid change and a radiator fluid change. How many of you actually do that? I haven't towed a single thing with this truck, and don't see the issue, but I'm curious. I need to get 300k out of this at least because I'm hoping it's the last one, but who knows?

The Tundra has a sealed tranny and yes, you want to do it, even if you haven't towed anything.

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Thanks

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Its not a sealed transmission, whatever that means, it just doesn't have a dipstick.

I would change the transmission fluid as part of routine maintenance.

The dealer will likely just drain and fill the pan, which if done frequently is fine. On my tacoma i did a DIY complete flush and will probably just drain and fill the pan every 30k from here on out, i do tow with mine.

Sean
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I bought a new 2014 Tundra 4x4 Limited, after some research.
I owned a 98 chev 1500 Z71,-- was always a chevy guy
Loved that truck, had 143000 miles, but it did not pull my 26 ft trailer well
The Tundra blew all the other 1/2 trucks away in towing. Looks damn good too.
It has a 4-11 rear, so mileage is not great-- 15+ highway, it is a smooth ride with plenty of power.
This is the best 1/2 truck made, IMO, great ride towing or not.
I am old, this may be my last truck, then my son can enjoy it too---

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by SeanD
Its not a sealed transmission, whatever that means, it just doesn't have a dipstick.

I would change the transmission fluid as part of routine maintenance.

The dealer will likely just drain and fill the pan, which if done frequently is fine. On my tacoma i did a DIY complete flush and will probably just drain and fill the pan every 30k from here on out, i do tow with mine.

If it is like my '09 Camry, there is some type of special equipment (pump) to replace the fluid after service with the proper amount. My local mechanic was considering purchasing the necessary setup. BUt decided that he did not have enough customers with the "no dip stick" transmissions to pay for it.

Worked with a number of Toyota employees who owned Tundra's. They always tried to give me chit about driving a diesel Dodge 4x4. I always told them that the Tundra was a "nice little truck." Also told them that anytime they wanted to do a grudge pull in the parking lot for titles, I had a log chain in the tool box. Shut 'em up pretty quick...

Anyhoo, as noted above, the Tundra is a solid reliable truck. The only consistent beef I heard from owners was that the fuel economy sucked. Generally averaged 12 MPG (+/-) around town.... Good town truck. Would not want one on a farm or saw mill, unless to run parts...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a 2011 W 5.7 V-8

Great Truck just wish it got better milage 14.5 is about it and I dont hammer it I go easy

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
It depends on what you tow and how often. My buddy bought one and he farms full time. He said it’s a half ton built like a 3/4 ton. I knew that wasn’t right ,but he had a 89 Chevy k1500 that he used as a farm truck so figured it would be fine. He ended up buying the used tundra with about a $1,000 extended warranty for x number of miles .im thinking a 100,000 mile warranty. In three years he’s paid for that warranty and then some. The repairs included rear end bearings and some kind of blower motor INSIDE the air intake, yep. They had to remove the intake. That was the priciest repair. It gets 12 mpg too.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,908 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,970
Posts18,519,709
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.