Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Here's what you can expect for weather in Wyoming. Note the figures for wind and temperature are the AVERAGE for 24/7 for months !!!!. Better you should stay in sunny California. whistle

Hey, Answer Girl,

Each Wyomingite says their hometown’s weather is the worst – Cody, Cheyenne, Afton, etc. Which town has the coldest winters? Which town has the most snow? The most wind? — Question Girl

Dear Question Girl,

Chris Jones, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service in Riverton, researched this question. While there are many ways to look at weather data, Jones pinpointed several Wyoming towns that stand out.

The coldest town in Wyoming is Bondurant, which is located in Hoback Canyon between Jackson and Pinedale. The average temperature in Bondurant for the months of December, January and February is 10.7 degrees. That’s only slightly warmer than in International Falls, Minn., where the average temperature is 7.4 degrees during the same months.

Daniel, which is located east of Pinedale, is the second coldest town in the state with an average temperature of 11.8 degrees from December to January. Big Piney has the third coldest winters in Wyoming with an average temperature of 12.5 from December to January. The town, which is located in Sublette County, was called the Icebox of the Nation starting in 1930 because it had the coldest year-round average temperature in the nation. Today, that slogan is reserved for International Falls, Minn., which won the legal trademark for Icebox of the Nation over Fraser, Colo., in 2008.

The town of Moose, which is located north of Jackson, gets more snow than any other town in Wyoming with an average 172.2 inches per year. Bedford, in the Star Valley, comes is the second snowiest town with 155.9 inches of snow per year, and Moran comes in third with 145 inches of snow.

For wind speeds, Jones looked at records for 19 Wyoming towns dating from 1996 to 2006. Wind speeds are generally recorded at airports, he said. Rawlins is the windiest town in Wyoming, with the wind averaging 12.9 mph. Laramie and Cheyenne tied for the second windiest town in the state with an average wind speed of 12.4 mph. Casper comes in third with an average wind speed of 12 mph.

If you want to escape the wind, head to Worland. It’s the least windy town in Wyoming.

“It sits in the basin and is relatively sheltered,” Jones said.

Its location in the basin also makes it one of the colder towns in the state, he added.

[Linked Image]
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
sounds warmer than our future temps in Alaska.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
sounds better than Northern Michigan! we get Lake Effect Snow almost daily!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
We live 15 miles from Worland....and love the low wind part! You can dress for the cold....not so well for the wind! Of course it’s a “tad” dry here, from approximately 2001 thru 2010, we averaged only about 3.5 to 4 inches “TOTAL Precipitation “ per year. Oh, and the summers can be a little warm also, the hottest we’ve seen, here at the house, 111 F. But...it’s a “dry” hot! grin memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/21/17.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No but South Dakota would work.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So what? It's cold during the Winter; hot in the Summer...reads like a real newsflash.

People will do anything to get away from other humanity and I highly doubt that ISIS wannabes or DACA babies will want to reside there.
If I didn't love Idaho and already have a wonderful spread I'd move there immediately.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My home is the relatively mild and sheltered mountains between Cheyenne and Laramie. As I type this I am at McMurdo Base Antarctica, when i came into work today it was 9 degrees at my home and 26 degrees here. Merry Christmas Wyoming!
Keep telling the Greenies displaced by the Californians how bad the weather is...... maybe they'll stay out!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's the start of SUMMER at McMurdo.....laffin.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Wind blew all night. Snowed for half that. 10 degrees this morning, warmed up to 14 this afternoon. Just Wyoming in Dec. Usually below 0 in Jan.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by saddlering
sounds better than Northern Michigan! we get Lake Effect Snow almost daily!

Yep - Houghton averages 218 inches a year.

Me

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I wouldn't say that the wind in Wyoming is too strong or too constant, but when it stops, people fall over.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It isn't bad until it it's a "three dog" wind. That's when you have to hold off three prairie dogs worth to hit one. At 100 yards.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Nope

My diploma is a DD214
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
When I moved to Wyoming 11 years ago I complained about the wind once, and a guy I worked with told me "if it wasn't for the wind, this place would be as crowded as Colorado". That's stayed with me since. Although I will still complain about it every once in a while.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
A stunning day in northwest Wyoming today. 15 for the high, beautiful sunshine and no wind. Tested some 44 magnum loads this morning. Tomorrow is not going to be so nice.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Seems like a lot of wind but out here it blows everyday.

Sometimes it slows at nightfall but lately it has kept going till early in the am.

It does get up to 75-80 every now and then,nice thing is we don't get muck snow since that global warming crap started.

There is a reason the indians only settled here a few times a year when traveling to other places because it sucks when it don't slow down or quit. laugh

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Mike74
No but South Dakota would work.

From PA and in SD now...I'd take PA weather (NW PA) over this place.

jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by McInnis
When I moved to Wyoming 11 years ago I complained about the wind once, and a guy I worked with told me "if it wasn't for the wind, this place would be as crowded as Colorado". That's stayed with me since. Although I will still complain about it every once in a while.

Indeed. Keeps out the riffraff, or most of them at least. wink

[Linked Image]
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It isn't bad until it it's a "three dog" wind. That's when you have to hold off three prairie dogs worth to hit one. At 100 yards.

The wind that howls out of the I-84 canyon and across the flight line at Hill is miserable at times. Es[ecially since I was always seemingly on night shifts in the winter.

jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

The wind that howls out of the I-84 canyon and across the flight line at Hill is miserable at times. Es[ecially since I was always seemingly on night shifts in the winter.

We stayed a night at Hill and left the next morning pulling our 5th wheel, making the turn onto 84 there at the bottom of the canyon was the closest I ever came to getting blown over, terrifying experience.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (160user, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1shotnokilz, 68 invisible), 3,400 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,439
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.