1Minute
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Whenever they break.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always replace the springs o old Mausers with new Wolff springs ..I bought a Tubb anti torque for( or whatever they call it) for a M70 push feed ..It was a joke.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never. It's long been my practice to store mine uncocked by doing as described above or, if safe, just snapping on an empty chamber. Don't know if it matters. I use snap caps in my single shots and sometimes in my bolt guns.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I change mine at the same time I change my valve cover gaskets (20,000 miles), Routine maintenance is so important.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by mod7rem

I've always stored my rifles with actions open, so the spring would be under max tension. I'm not having any trouble with the rifle, but just wondering if the spring would be getting tired even if it still functions.

The only answer is YES. Constant compression.

Jerry

Actually "yes" is not the only answer.

Unless a spring is somehow defective, or is overloaded, or is at high temperature (high enough that the rifle would be more or less toast), it can stay compressed forever without getting "tired".

There's any number of examples all around you of steel springs remaining under stress for decades, without getting "tired" or running away from their responsibilities. Even more widely you see steel structures also under stress for decades, again without an issue. How many steel bridges have to be changed out after 20 years because they are "tired"?. Steel springs are just a special case of steel under stress, and if the load is within the steel's design limits, which means stresses well short of the steel's proportional limit, there's no permanent deformation.

Where you tend to see springs "take a set" is where they've been over-stressed. Springs on a car's suspension for example can keep their dimension for decades, compressed all the time under the weight of the vehicle, and compressed a bit further as the car goes over bumps in normal driving. A car can go for half a century or more on the same springs, and they are compressed all the time. The same car also has other springs, like valve springs, which also will last the life of the motor - compressed all the time - in normal use.

On a vehicle which is run overloaded, or hammered hard over rough roads, that is where you'll see permanent deformation - ie sagging - of the suspension springs. You might see the same thing with valve springs in a motor where they are run harder than they were designed for. You could also achieve the same thing in a pistol with a light mainspring firing heavy loads perhaps.

Leaving bolts cocked, or for that matter leaving break-actions cocked, is not something I'd worry about. Nor is replacing mainsprings, unless for some reason you are running them beyond their designed stress.

M
mod7rem Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
It looks like the majority says to leave it alone unless something goes wrong. Thanks guys.

As a side note, I've always stored my rifles with actions open for good airflow just in case the rifle had moisture in it. Never even thought about how that might effect the firing pin spring.

Last edited by mod7rem; 12/23/17.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Dan

I hear you and understand your point. However there are exceptions that occur that have caused gun owners problems.
w/firing pin springs.

IMO - no one else may feel like I do - leaving the rifle UNcocked is CHEAP insurance. It doesn't cost us any $$$.
F P springs are made by people.
F P springs are installed by people.

There is always the possibility of human error.

There are 2 choices to make. Leave rifle cocked. Leave rifle UNcocked.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 12/24/17.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

As a side note, I've always stored my rifles with actions open for good airflow just in case the rifle had moisture in it. Never even thought about how that might effect the firing pin spring.

That is probably a lot more valid reason than leaving it open for the spring.
Uncocking the action just uses another cycle of the spring's life. smile

I had to change one once in a M1903. The gun had a very nice bore. This spring had to have got swapped into it from another, because there's no way this gun had that many rounds on it.

Just an aside, but if you have ignition problems, check the firing pin length. I had an AK that came from the factory with too short of FP. Also, check headspace. Too long can give ignition problems too.

Politics is War by Other Means
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Since working a spring is what will 'wear it out,' and since just leaving it compressed will not, de-cocking the striker or hammer is a counterproductive choice because the de-cock and subsequent re-cock is a use cycle that contributes to ending the spring's life earlier than it would have if you'd just left it cocked.

I store my bolt guns with the bolts out of the rifles. Strangely enough, even though I know all the above, I have a tendency to squeeze the triggers and slowly lower the bolt handles when I'm transporting or for some reason storing them with the bolts in. :-)

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by dan_oz

I've always stored my rifles with actions open, so the spring would be under max tension. I'm not having any trouble with the rifle, but just wondering if the spring would be getting tired even if it still functions.

Jerry

Unless a spring is somehow defective, or is overloaded, or is at high temperature (high enough that the rifle would be more or less toast), it can stay compressed forever without getting "tired".
E
There's any number of examples all around you of steel springs remaining under stress for decades, without getting "tired" or running away from their responsibilities. Even more widely you see steel structures also under stress for decades, again without an issue. How many steel bridges have to be changed out after 20 years because they are "tired"?. Steel springs are just a special case of steel under stress, and if the load is within the steel's design limits, which means stresses well short of the steel's proportional limit, there's no permanent deformation.

Where you tend to see springs "take a set" is where they've been over-stressed. Springs on a car's suspension for example can keep their dimension for decades, compressed all the time under the weight of the vehicle, and compressed a bit further as the car goes over bumps in normal driving. A car can go for half a century or more on the same springs, and they are compressed all the time. The same car also has other springs, like valve springs, which also will last the life of the motor - compressed all the time - in normal use.

On a vehicle which is run overloaded, or hammered hard over rough roads, that is where you'll see permanent deformation - ie sagging - of the suspension springs. You might see the same thing with valve springs in a motor where they are run harder than they were designed for. You could also achieve the same thing in a pistol with a light mainspring firing heavy loads perhaps.

Leaving bolts cocked, or for that matter leaving break-actions cocked, is not something I'd worry about. Nor is replacing mainsprings, unless for some reason you are running them beyond their designed stress.

These spring threads come up every so often. The matter of springs seems to be the least understood (or the most misunderstood) of any topics that come up here. Dan’s post is one of the most knowledgeable I’ve seen. I would only add that IF the spring is properly designed for the application, IF it has been correctly heat treated, and IF it has not been overheated or physically extended beyond the elastic limit for that particular alloy, it will not “wear out “ or “get tired” or “take a set.” IF those conditions are met, any spring in any firearm application will outlast any of us.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

the Answer is when in doubt

they are not hard to change

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by cra1948

Dan’s post is one of the most knowledgeable I’ve seen. I would only add that IF the spring is properly designed for the application,

***IF it has been correctly heat treated, and IF it has not been overheated or physically extended beyond the elastic limit for that particular alloy, it will not “wear out “ or “get tired” or “take a set.” IF those conditions are met, any spring in any firearm application will outlast any of us.

THANKS GUYS - I've read ALL of your answers.

Even tho I'm an OLD DOG, I can still learn. Just understand that 'because' of instances of others in the past WHERE the springs became
weak or took a short set---- I learned to UNCOCK the bolt, B A, PUMP, LEVER, etc.

EVEN if uncocking is another cycle of the spring which 'might' shorten its life----ONCE a year is not going to add up much.

HOWEVER - I'll change my procedure NOW. Remember this - IF my F P spring becomes weak or sets up short - I'll get in touch and YOU can pay for a new one. laugh laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

EVEN if uncocking is another cycle of the spring which 'might' shorten its life----ONCE a year is not going to add up much.
Jerry

Don't waste it, Jerry. Use it as an opportunity for some dry fire practice. I'm sure that extra dry fire will turn you into a High Master. wink

Merry Christmas!

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948

Jerry

E

These spring threads come up every so often. The matter of springs seems to be the least understood (or the most misunderstood) of any topics that come up here. Dan’s post is one of the most knowledgeable I’ve seen. I would only add that IF the spring is properly designed for the application, IF it has been correctly heat treated, and IF it has not been overheated or physically extended beyond the elastic limit for that particular alloy, it will not “wear out “ or “get tired” or “take a set.” IF those conditions are met, any spring in any firearm application will outlast any of us.

I won't pretend to know the alloys or their limits.
But, there are numerous guns built today, that have a limited life on certain springs.
Mostly semi or auto, and bolt return type springs.
But they will not last a lifetime with much use.

The model 7 firing spring. It should be fine for a lot more years.
If you have doubts, replace it. It's not like having a new engine stuck in a Lamborghini.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good info here. I have never given the spring issue much thought and only changed one, when I did not like it from the factory-Ruger American. I think that for the most part, there is no reason to change one out, unless you have an issue with it. I think, that like other things gun/shooting related, this issue can be over-thought. If it goes bang every time, then leave it alone.

I always de-cock my firearms, before they go into the safe. This is probably more of a feel-good procedure on my part, than it is actually beneficial, but it has always made sense to me, to store the rifle with the spring relaxed. I keep moisture control in my safes, so it makes no sense for me to store them with the bolts out, or open. I would never store them with the bolts out, as that would put me in the position of rummaging around to find the right bolt, when going to the range, hunting etc.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
aalf -

Would you care to give us a synoptic answer or recommends from those?

I will read them later.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
aalf -Would you care to give us a synoptic answer or recommends from those?
I will read them later.Jerry

In summary, if ultimate accuracy is the goal, change your springs.......

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1eyedmule, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,082
Posts18,521,831
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.