Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
"IF" I were to open carry, it would be appendix. Anyone who wanted to snatch it, would have to be in front of me. Saw a gentleman carrying in an Academy Sports in St. Peters, MO a few weeks ago. 1911 cocked and locked with a thumb break. He was leaning over the gun counter looking at pistols. In my mind, I unsnapped the holster and took his gun... but in reality, I simply shook my head and wished he were smarter.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I saw a go not long ago, open carry, no retention, pushing a shopping cart at Walmart. 3 year old daughter was in the cart, he of course had one hand on the cart pushing it and he was talking on his cell phone with the other hand.

It would have been EASY

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by 6mm250
The pistol toter probably had a one-size-fits-none $15 nylon holster , no retention.

From the article ;

"An incident involving a stolen gun caused a commotion at Walmart on Skibo Road on Thursday afternoon.

About 3 p.m., Fayetteville police spokeswoman Asia Cannon said, inaccurate information based on radio scanner traffic began circulating about a shooting at the Walmart. Officers arrived and discovered that a man had grabbed a gun off another man who was open-carrying the weapon. The man who grabbed the gun then ran off.

During the incident, someone yelled out in the business about a gun, and a commotion broke out. Cannon said one Walmart employee was treated by emergency personnel for an asthma attack. No one else was injured.

Cannon said the man who stole the gun was last seen running toward Yadkin Road. The incident remains under investigation, and police are searching for the man. Anyone with information is asked to call Crimestoppers at 483-TIPS (8477)."

http://www.fayobserver.com/news/20171222/stolen-gun-at-walmart-causes-panic

I'm actually surprised that this doesn't happen more often. Judging by some of the yahoos I see carrying it looks like they'd be easy marks.

Mike

grin Am I the only one that finds that statement hilarious? grin

Yes, you probably are. There is not a damn thing funny about an asthma attack and a good thing the medics were there to treat the person.

Last edited by jnyork; 12/24/17.

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Not even a little surprising. Most of the folks I see open carrying in public are tacticool tards.

Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I know it's judgmental for me to say this, but the kind of people I see doing open carry don't impress me as the kind who would be great tacticians.

Yep. Agreed. By far and away the vast majority of all individuals i see open carrying are LEO. And yes, I couldnt agree with either of you more.

Last edited by Crockettnj; 12/24/17. Reason: added "i see", meaning tristate area

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by frogmanjim67
I SEE THIS A LOT AROUND HERE, BUT, IN THIS AREA PEOPLE DON'T REALLY CARE AND THOSE WHO DO ARE 99% TRANSPLANTS OR ELSE PASSING THROUGH. YEP, US REDNECKS LIVE AND LET...... AND THOSE WHO DON'T, USUALLY LEAVE. WHOEVER THE FOOL WAS THAT WAS CARRYING THAT GUN, HAD NO BUSINESS WITH IT, AND THE BIGGER FOOL WHO GRABBED IT, WAS REALLY LUCKY THAT THE GUY DIDN'T HAVE A COMPANION WHO ALSO CARRIED. THAT KIND OF MONKEY BUSINESS GETS PEOPLE HURT, TO SAY THE LEAST.! ME, i CARRY CONCEALED AND BEING EX-LEO, IT STILL IS AVAILABLE, YET CONTROLLED. CARRYING ONLY WORKS IF IT'S A SURPRISE TO THE ATTACKER.... THEN IT WORKS WONDERS. NOTHING DEMORALIZES A SHOOTER LIKE SOMEONE SHOOTING BACK..!

Why are you yelling?

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by meatsanta226
I could picture the type: mid 60s, morbidly obese, mouthy, all-day campfire poster prancing around walmart with a dont mess with texas shirt on, open carrying

When I read the OP's link I had similar thoughts about the person, but when I saw it was in Fayettville, I wondered if the dude had on a "Don't Mess With Arkansas" t-shirt or a "Don't Mess With North Carolina t-shiirt. Either would have fit the scenario fairly well. My first thought was Arkansas for some reason.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BayouRover
I could picture the type: mid 60s, morbidly obese, mouthy, all-day campfire poster prancing around walmart with a dont mess with texas shirt on, open carrying

When I read the OP's link I had similar thoughts about the person, but when I saw it was in Fayettville, I wondered if the dude had on a "Don't Mess With Arkansas" t-shirt or a "Don't Mess With North Carolina t-shiirt. Either would have fit the scenario fairly well. My first thought was Arkansas for some reason.

Probably a 20 something , morbidly obese , mouthy , internet troll on his once-a-month outing from his garage "apartment" at mom's house.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mike, does North Carolina now allow open carry?

Please don't feed the trolls!
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Open carry (in urban or crowded settings) has always puzzled me. With concealed carry, no one knows you have a gun and the element of surprise remains (in case of an emergency). Open carry allows all to know you are carrying and might make you the first target. Sure, you might have the right to open-carry, but is it the wisest thing?

Also, open carry can alarm gun opponents which could lead to letters to state representatives to put more laws into place. Why stir up a hornet's nest if there's no need to?

6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Mike, does North Carolina now allow open carry?

NC has always allowed open carry with certain exceptions.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
They used to teach us in karate class, "It is a wise tiger who keeps his claws concealed." ...

A lot of wisdom in that statement...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lotsa "snatchers" in this world. Pistol or purse or whatever. Especially with pistols those who can open carry should be fully aware of that possibility and take the necessary precautions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

OMG! Are you hacking into my computer camera!

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In states which are shall issue or CC is authorized without a permit, I can't see a logical reason for open carry in a non-outdoors environment.

Often being back in the home state of AZ, only time I'm open carrying is the revolver on the gun belt when out hunting or in the woods, or when ducking into town for a few quick groceries or gas. Hell, even at camp when the hunting is done for the day, the .44 and belt get tossed on the cot in favor of the glock or sig under the jacket.

In a situation where you may need a firearm against another human, I can see no reason where it would be an advantage to telegraph the carrying or possession of said firearm before it was time to draw it.

Tactically speaking, I much prefer the "surprise mothafugga!" approach.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To All,

Open Carry has been legal for a good while now here in TX but other than of the FIRST DAY that OC was lawful (YEP, like a lot of other Wild & Rebellious Texicans, I carried openly at The Alamo that ONE day.), I've seen NOBODY in San Antonio (other than uniformed police & security officers) carrying openly in at least a year.

In point of fact, the ONLY civilian that I've seen carrying a handgun openly even in the rural area was a middle-aged lady at a gas statrion near Marble Falls, who was carrying a Colt's Peacemaker in an "old school" gunbelt/holster. - She saw me looking at the obviously old rig & said, "This .38-40 was my grandfather's, when he was a SGT in the Texas Rangers. I don't often carry it away from the ranch, as everyone wants me to take it out & show it to them."

NOTE: When I'm on our family farm or camping/fishing, I sometimes carry a long-barreled .22LR S&W revolver unconcealed. Otherwise, I don't open carry anywhere.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a Vision Center Manager for Wal-Mart, and you guy are pretty much spot on. The nimrods I see open carrying fit your descriptions pretty well. We also get a few of the guys carrying a Bowie knife. One comes in wearing the thing on a criss cross rig in the center of his back. I'ts pretty funny to see.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
This Thread pretty much mirrors everything I've said about open carry in an urban area for a long time. Other threads of come up here on the fire about open carrying I've never been a big fan of it and I've been called all sorts of names because I'm not a fan of it but my opinion will never change on that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The guys I see doing it are neither old, nor morbidly obese - but I almost never set foot in walmart.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last year I saw an old guy packing groceries into his car and instead of a handgun, he had a medium sized sheath knife and I thought to myself that it wouldn't be a bad idea for a guy his age as kind of a non-verbal don't mess with me kind of thing. That knife probably gets used day to day way more than any handgun would.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I most enjoyed that the spokesperson was named Asia Cannon. In Fayettenam, home of Ft. Bragg.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (1badf350, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 74 invisible), 2,763 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,531
Posts18,509,827
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.