Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The high priced coolers are nothing more than an imaginary status symbol. They keep ice MARGINALLY longer than a cheap IGLOO and weigh four times as much. When ice gets to $15 a bag, I might consider a marginally better cooler. At two bucks a bag, it just does not make sense.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Here's a real world report on the Ozark Trail 52 qt. 7/5 around 5 had 15-20 drinks in the cooler they were around 75 degrees, dropped in 2-4# blue freeze blocks. 7/6 630 am pulled freezer blocks and replaced with 1- 4lb Yeti and 1-4lb knock off light blue blocks, filled with 25 +/- lb of ice. 7/5 temp 97 degrees ice frozen solid opened cooler 3-6 times, 7/7 98 degrees cooler opened several times little melting. 7/8 97 degrees cooler opened 4-6 times some water 80+% ice. 7/9 88-90 degrees several openings approaching 50/50 ice and water. Monday 9/10 checked cooler 1130-noon, 90% water but water COLD. The cooler was sitting on the back of my truck in full sun Thurs-Monday noon so 4 + full days in high 90s in direct sun for $150. Considering it a win.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder
Here's a real world report on the Ozark Trail 52 qt. 7/5 around 5 had 15-20 drinks in the cooler they were around 75 degrees, dropped in 2-4# blue freeze blocks. 7/6 630 am pulled freezer blocks and replaced with 1- 4lb Yeti and 1-4lb knock off light blue blocks, filled with 25 +/- lb of ice. 7/5 temp 97 degrees ice frozen solid opened cooler 3-6 times, 7/7 98 degrees cooler opened several times little melting. 7/8 97 degrees cooler opened 4-6 times some water 80+% ice. 7/9 88-90 degrees several openings approaching 50/50 ice and water. Monday 9/10 checked cooler 1130-noon, 90% water but water COLD. The cooler was sitting on the back of my truck in full sun Thurs-Monday noon so 4 + full days in high 90s in direct sun for $150. Considering it a win.

But did you get the sticker and the hat??

FJB & FJT
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Rtic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
The high priced coolers are nothing more than an imaginary status symbol. They keep ice MARGINALLY longer than a cheap IGLOO and weigh four times as much. When ice gets to $15 a bag, I might consider a marginally better cooler. At two bucks a bag, it just does not make sense.
That's great as long as your near the road, when your 20-50 miles from the nearest store it's kinda hard to just run out and buy more ice. Being able to keep ice for up to 10 days in remote settings is a good thing.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got an Ozark 52 qt and it's well built. Tests I've seen show it comes up a day less holding ice than Yeti. You've got to set your requirements. I filled the Ozark up with beer and a 40# bag of ice on noon Friday. It sat on my back patio getting full sun in July in Georgia 92º weather. Sunday evening we still had half the ice and water, and the beer was very cold. I'm very sure that they would have stayed cold for another 36 hours. Take it out of the sun and into the shade and we'd have even better. Do you need more? Go to Yeti or Rtic. If you want one at a good price that for 3-4 days+ does everything they will include being well built, Ozark is a winner.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bersh
I recently purchased a 70 quart Maluna. It smokes the Yeti. Very well built, lot of little features/details, holds ice longer, and is less expensive.

www.maluna.com

This started out as a kickstarter, but are gearing up for full line production. There is a very active focus group on Facebook for them as well. I'm really impressed with it, and plan to buy at least one more.
Did you get yours yet? I'm going to try and order one but I don't think they will ship it to Alaska.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Coleman Xtreme is a good choice for the money.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My Coleman Xtreme has been a great cooler. While not as pricey as a Yeti, my Cabela's cooler has been terrific. Holds ice and keeps things cold out in the woods for a lot longer than anything else I've used. Fully loaded, it's a PIG though. Bring help to get it loaded into a vehicle.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
That's great as long as your near the road, when your 20-50 miles from the nearest store it's kinda hard to just run out and buy more ice. Being able to keep ice for up to 10 days in remote settings is a good thing.

Agreed. There's a reason all the western river outfitters and private boaters all use the high end coolers on multi day trips. 10 of us Arkies did 6 days rafting on the San Juan River in SE UT last July. Daily temps into high 90's with lots of sun. All coolers were Yeti, Canyon or Orion. We had a Yeti that we put 6 blocks in at the put in and opened it late on day 4 to replentish the ice in the other coolers. There was maybe 2 inches of water in the bottom. Our stuff stayed COLD the entire 6 days and we still had cold food and drinks for the ride bar to AR.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just picked up my second Rtic

The 20

For my wife's car

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We use a big yeti and a pelican at moose camp. Over the month the glacier ice stays so well we bring lots home. The yeti stays closed except to replenish the others. It is the better cooler.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Love my rtic.

Dennis

Lets start over and talk about something you know about, like Mexican food.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have both Yeti and Rtic and would never buy a Yeti again. Rtic is as good or better at half the cost.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tag

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have three rtic coolers 2 45s and a 65. Very happy with price and quality. The only thing I dont like is the rubber latches dont stay up and get in the way when closing the coolers. There is an easy fix for that using rubber washers that I just havent done yet.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by bersh
I recently purchased a 70 quart Maluna. It smokes the Yeti. Very well built, lot of little features/details, holds ice longer, and is less expensive.

www.maluna.com

This started out as a kickstarter, but are gearing up for full line production. There is a very active focus group on Facebook for them as well. I'm really impressed with it, and plan to buy at least one more.
Did you get yours yet? I'm going to try and order one but I don't think they will ship it to Alaska.

I got mine a few days after ordering. It is everything that it's cracked up to be and more.
Editing to add that once they get the ecommerce portion of the website running, for an additional fee they'll ship to Alaska. Considering the size and weight, I can't even guess how much it is to ship up there. Worth sending an email (infomaluna.com) as the owner personally responds to every email they get.

Last edited by bersh; 07/20/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I've had a Coleman Marine Extreme for a couple years. It does really well, better than any other cooler I had ever owned prior to the Maluna. For $50 they are a steal, but it doesn't even come close to the performance of the Maluna. Both are 70 quarts, and I had them both out camping the week of the 4th. I refreshed the ice in the Maluna once in 8 days, and the Coleman needed ice every other day. All of these rotomolded coolers work better if you pre-chill them, as there is a lot of mass to it compared to a regular cooler. I prechilled both coolers prior to loading them up as I was curious and wanted an equal start. The two biggest downsides of most rotomolded coolers (cost aside) is that they are bigger than normal coolers of similar capacity, and they are a LOT heavier. For me, these are trade-offs I'm willing to accept given the improved performance, durability, and features. I deer hunt in the middle of nowhere and having to run to town to get ice can be an adventure at times. Depending on how much you value your time, that $2 bag of ice might actually be closer to $15 (or more).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
I have three rtic coolers 2 45s and a 65. Very happy with price and quality. The only thing I dont like is the rubber latches dont stay up and get in the way when closing the coolers. There is an easy fix for that using rubber washers that I just havent done yet.

The new coolers from Rtic had to have a couple changes via the YETI lawsuit

One.....the latches now stay up

The others......beats me......it still looks just like a YETI at half the price

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Canyon Coolers top my list...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

292 members (338reddog, 219 Wasp, 30Gibbs, 10ring1, 29aholic, 348srfun, 33 invisible), 1,755 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,205
Posts18,524,224
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.