Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by gunner500
Nice rifle Elk, is that a 3X Leupold on that rifle?

It is a 2.5x Leupold.

GuyM,I remember the them also,excellent rifle for the money back then.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Anybody who needs a barrel band mounted sling swivel doesn't know how to hold a rifle correctly,or has too short of a forend.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Back to the Partition "problem", I wonder if there wasn't a process defect in some of the bullets at one time. I recall reading a thread on a defunct site about a .375" Partition appearing to lose its rear core after being shot into a log or something like that. He wasn't complaining, he was just wondering what may have happened. It seemed the responses were it couldn't happen. There were no pictures but the poster seemed perplexed and not accusatory as to what happened.

Also, I think it was Kevin Robrtson who wrote of a similar experience in one of his books. I can't remember his thoughts on the matter were but the mention did stand out. That is about it for the hearsay, anecdotal folk lore I can add to this thread. If there was the rare manufacturing flaw that showed up in the field even once, it would be little surprise to see that story spread and enlarged in short order.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by husqvarna
Anybody who needs a barrel band mounted sling swivel doesn't know how to hold a rifle correctly,or has too short of a forend.

That gun's killed a mess of NM Jackwabbits and I never heard any complaints from Elk... smile

So, I guess he can hold it right and it isn't too short... blush

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

That gun's killed a mess of NM Jackwabbits and I never heard any complaints from Elk... smile

So, I guess he can hold it right and it isn't too short... blush

DF

Or,they like a barrel mounted sling stud. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Barrel Mounted Sling Swivel!!!

It’s my understanding that the purpose was, on high recoil rifles, sometimes the front sling swivel would contact the hand (hard). If nothing else, it lowers the muzzle when rifle is shouldered....which is beneficial in areas of low limbs, etc.. I have a barrel mounted swivel on my rifle.I can shoulder my rifle and walk up out of my basement without contact on the overhead....can’t with my wife’s rifle (conventional stock mount)!

The only negative (IMO) is... if you use a tight sling when shooting, it could change barrel harmonics or cause contact with a free floated barrel...causing a zero-shift. As I have full length bedding....it hasn’t proven to be an issue for me! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/29/17.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Nice rifle Elk, is that a 3X Leupold on that rifle?

It is a 2.5x Leupold.

GuyM,I remember the them also,excellent rifle for the money back then.

Thanks Elk. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

LOL, not always, they look cooler, are more secure that a stock stud, plus, if you're not four foot five inches tall, they provide a much lower carrying height for a slung rifle, mucho easier getting through the thicks. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GuyM
Ken, that is a seriously nice rifle. Love the straight-grain stock!

I remember when those Interarms Mark X Whitworth rifles were readily available... Should have helped myself to a pair of 'em way back when. Of course, I was in the Marines then and pretty much broke. Sigh...

A pair of 'em in 30-06 and 375, and I could have taken any big game... But, I didn't have the money for big hunts either. Gotta quit hallucinating! smile

Guy

The guns we have let slip through our fingers...
☹️

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I let a pre-'64 Model 70 .375 H&H slip away, priced at only $375. But that was in 1974, the equivalent of $2000 today--still a good deal, but I couldn't come up with that much money in '74!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Couple pics of the left-hand side of the Whitworth.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ken,
That's a good looking rifle. How's she shoot for you?

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I let a pre-'64 Model 70 .375 H&H slip away, priced at only $375. But that was in 1974, the equivalent of $2000 today--still a good deal, but I couldn't come up with that much money in '74!

Talk about "the one that got away!" frown

James Elroy Flecker

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Been awhile since I shot it,but IIRC with a 300 gr SAF it is around 1-1/4" at 100 yards. Good enough for jackrabbits. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good enough for jackrabbits. grin

Stunt shooter. You need a 460Wby with 500gr solids for jacks...
😜

James Elroy Flecker

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Been awhile since I shot it,but IIRC with a 300 gr SAF it is around 1-1/4" at 100 yards. Good enough for jackrabbits. grin

Nice, and I'll bet those lightweight Weavers have never thought about slipping that scope. cool

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Nice, and I'll bet those lightweight Weavers have never thought about slipping that scope. cool

It isn't an issue in this case. Ken's so damned skinny he absorbs all of the recoil, much like a pole vaulter's pole bending. That way, there is no real recoil impulse to bother the scope mounts. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Actually Ed,I'm full of schit and that stuff is like a shock absorber when it comes to recoil. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

It isn't an issue in this case. Ken's so damned skinny he absorbs all of the recoil, much like a pole vaulter's pole bending. That way, there is no real recoil impulse to bother the scope mounts. grin

Ed

laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually Ed,I'm full of schit and that stuff is like a shock absorber when it comes to recoil. wink

Oh no. Sounds like you are a Limbsaver on legs. 😉

James Elroy Flecker

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (1lesfox, 12344mag, 219DW, 007FJ, 35, 13 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,870
Posts18,478,702
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.