Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
My wife is on her 2nd Rav4. First one was a 1997, gave it to my dad three years ago and it's still running with over 300k+ miles. Put a new water pump and radiator in it at 200k miles a few years before I gave it to my dad. Great vehicle, and he will drive it until it dies. Current one is a 2008 with 170k miles. Again, typical Toyotas, very low maintenance. Another great vehicle.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone know much about the Hybrid RAV4?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by cwh2
The wife has had an 05 since new. It has been great as a car, but has been the worst Toyota I've ever dealt with. 4-5 water pumps now, on its 3rd alternator, just a lot of little nickle and dime stuff, and is right at 120K. It is great in snow and ice.

Ouch. I had the wp replaced in my Corolla at 200,000 just for maintenance/prevention. It's pushing 300,000 now.

I'm with Steelhead on all the extra "stuff". Simple is good. I do like cruise control though.
The problem is they have all the extras in packages. To get the 1 thing you want, you have to buy the whole package that has a bunch of expensive stuff you don't want and might never use.

Last edited by Rock Chuck; 05/08/18.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Brad

I drove one at the Dealers a year ago, pretty impressed with it actually. Super quiet, tight as a drum, typical toyota quality.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
if you are going to buy one in the 2000 to 2003 range make damn sure it's had the shift computer - not sure of the correct term- replaced. otherwise it goes and it costs 1000 bucks for a new one and may ruin your tranny while you wait for the part and for them to replace it. mine is an 01 and i loved it and would have driven it forever but with 180k- only a couple years of ownership- the damn computer was fried and slammed my gears so much my guy told me it likely would need a tranny and the computer. i said no since it was high miles and a gamble. really liked that thing. kinda disappointed.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 05/08/18.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm thinking about one for the wife too. Like most vehicles these days it comes with too much sheit.

It sure was nice when you could hose out the backside after dumping a body and Quincy wouldn't be able to find a hair.

Wife just bought a '13 Highlander with 25K on it. That was about the last year before all the whiz-bang, foo foo bullcrap was added. More stuff to breakdown and get updated unless you buy a comprehensive package. Salesman told me last week that the '19 or '20 trucks will all have a rear camera too.

There isn't much anymore that is going to be "simple".

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I drove one at the Dealers a year ago, pretty impressed with it actually. Super quiet, tight as a drum, typical toyota quality.

Thanks OEH

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm thinking about one for the wife too. Like most vehicles these days it comes with too much sheit.

It sure was nice when you could hose out the backside after dumping a body and Quincy wouldn't be able to find a hair.

Wife just bought a '13 Highlander with 25K on it. That was about the last year before all the whiz-bang, foo foo bullcrap was added. More stuff to breakdown and get updated unless you buy a comprehensive package. Salesman told me last week that the '19 or '20 trucks will all have a rear camera too.

There isn't much anymore that is going to be "simple".

Joe, the backup camera on my 14' Tacoma may be one of my favorite things on the truck. I didn't expect that to be the case at all, but I'm a believer. I flat love that thing.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Joe, the backup camera on my 14' Tacoma may be one of my favorite things on the truck. I didn't expect that to be the case at all, but I'm a believer. I flat love that thing.
Those cameras are great. Neither my pickup nor van have them stock. I added one to the pickup for trailer hooking. It worked great so I added one to the van for backing. They're one of the really good improvements in car. All the late model Toyotas I've been in recently have had them from the factory. I wouldn't buy a new car without one.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife's car has a backup camera, what seems like foo foo crap turns out to be a pretty slick advancement. Same can be said of traction control in winter driving conditions, amazing what it can do in limited grip situations.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, just came home with a 2018 Hybrid RAV4 for my wife... guess I'll be the guinea pig, although Toyota has been at this hybrid thing longer than anyone. And it is a Toyota. One thing I like about the hybrid, apart from better mileage, is it's noticeably quieter, and it's a heavier vehicle. The Battery is in the rear. Good thing here in windy MT where you can get blown around the road pretty good in light vehicles.

And yeah, the Toyota backup camera is the chit.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Well I've been driving for 49 years without a backup camera and don't see that its "value added". Friends that have them have to clean them frequently during winter and after trips down wet dirt roads. We'll see now, with the wife's Highlander how it works. I've looked at it but still use mirrors and my neck. All the other whiz-bang bulllcrap has a little " * " after them. The manuals' fine print says: none of the safety features are a substitution for drivers attentiveness and situational awareness. New drivers I've talked to say they are a distraction until you get used to them and ignore them.

I wonder what the charge will be when the backup camera stops working? After warranty - no doubt.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Talked to a Toyota salesman two weeks ago. Asked if there was any chance they would sell a "common sense" model without all the bells and whistles. He is the one who said you have to go back to pre '14 to get away from them. He said the millennials want all the "modern conveniences". You know - lane departure, side collision warning, front brake override, parallel parking assist, WiFi, XM, large touch screens, full navigation capability, on and on.
He said there invariably will be software upgrades to be made for everything necessitating a service department appointment. It all will eventually break and well after $145/hr. that will add up. Insurance rates have been re-structured for all the electronic sophistication that vehicles now have. After all this, how ironic is it that some passenger cars don't even come with a "donut spare"? Buddies wifes Altima had a flat last fall and 2.5 hours later, the tow truck arrived. Sometimes we think we're so smart.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Well I've been driving for 49 years without a backup camera and don't see that its "value added". Friends that have them have to clean them frequently during winter and after trips down wet dirt roads. We'll see now, with the wife's Highlander how it works. I've looked at it but still use mirrors and my neck. All the other whiz-bang bulllcrap has a little " * " after them. The manuals' fine print says: none of the safety features are a substitution for drivers attentiveness and situational awareness. New drivers I've talked to say they are a distraction until you get used to them and ignore them.

I wonder what the charge will be when the backup camera stops working? After warranty - no doubt.
My pickup is a 4 door long bed. I added the camera with a license plate mount for trailer hooking as I trailer something or other regularly. With the camera, I can back in and hit it right every time. I have a goose neck hitch that I don't use but if I did, I can't see the ball from the cab. I'd add another camera in the bed in a heartbeat. Many of them are made to run several cameras with the same monitor.
For backing, mirrors are a must but in tight quarters, being able to see exactly how much room you have is a big help. It can prevent parking lot dings and save small children. You use it along with the mirrors, not instead of mirrors.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, that was the biggest driver for installing a back-up camera on my F350; I can back up to the trailers every time without getting out multiple times or asking the wife to help...which is usually not much help in the end.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Yeah, I guess if I had been driving 49 years instead of the 41 years I have been driving I might think differently... but chalk it up to idiotic youthfulness, I love the backup camera. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yeah, I guess if I had been driving 49 years instead of the 41 years I have been driving I might think differently... but chalk it up to idiotic youthfulness, I love the backup camera. grin

Reminds me of a column I read a few years ago. Young teenager wrote the car guy and said that her grandparents always parked somewhere that they did not have to back out of. When she asked why, they told her that they were "saving reverse." She asked the car guy, if they really needed to "save reverse." His answer was something like, "I imagine that your grandparents are getting fairly old and older people often can't crane their necks around far enough to see well when backing up. I suspect that they are more comfortable and feel safer with parking spots that they can just drive out of."

At 75 years of age, I can no longer get my neck around far enough to see what's behind me when backing up. I use the mirrors, but I am haunted by accidents that happened to several friends who injured small children, backing over them, because they could not see them behind the car. A good friend here in the valley, backing up his pickup, killed his grandson that way. The little boy had rushed in behind the truck to help hook up the horse trailer.

I really appreciate the backup camera in my Tundra and I won't be with out it if I can help it.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I think they only come with a 2.5-liter four-cylinder. Not sure about previous models.

The RAV4 included a V6 motor in addition to the 4-cylinder one up to 2012 or so. If you can get your hand on a 2010-12 RAV4 V6 you have a rocket. Not kidding! The V6 produces 269HP, and is relatively good on fuel. My wife's 2010 burns around 29-30MPG on the open road, and about 21 combined driving (city/highway). Press the pedal a little too hard, and you will move your body against the seat smile

Last edited by Ray; 05/13/18.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I have been driving 47 years and love backup cameras, Blind spot monitoring and parking avoidance. I am more worried about the "other" driver wacking me then doing something stupid myself.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well, just came home with a 2018 Hybrid RAV4 for my wife... guess I'll be the guinea pig, although Toyota has been at this hybrid thing longer than anyone. And it is a Toyota. One thing I like about the hybrid, apart from better mileage, is it's noticeably quieter, and it's a heavier vehicle. The Battery is in the rear. Good thing here in windy MT where you can get blown around the road pretty good in light vehicles.

And yeah, the Toyota backup camera is the chit.

My wife just bought one on Friday, but not the hybrid model. Time will tell.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,486
Posts18,490,298
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.