Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I lost patience with them on my first trip to Africa in which I used a Leupold 6x42 on a .30-06. I arrived and the scope was off after the plane ride. It did the typical Leupold move of not taking adjustment, not taking adjustment, not take adjustment, move way too far and in an odd direction..

I've got two VX-1 2-7's that do just that. A third one has been sent to Leupold and is much better now. I've had a few people tell me "send it in and it'll come back better".

I'm not sure how much that says for Leupold's manufacturing QC..............

I believe all of mine did that with tracking. The only one I remember owning that would track was a vxII 2-7 that was broken by a light .375. It tracked really well when it came back until the .375 broke it again and it went back for the second time. It was then put on a .30-06 and eventually sent back a third time if I remember correctly.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ringworm
Compared to older models?
All things being equal would you prefer a NIB VXIII to a VX3i?
VX3 to VARIX III?

Leupold remains my first choice.

From what I can tell, most of the whining and bitching comes from people shooting scopes with turrets who are dialing pretty constantly ... the long range shooters. I gave up on that stuff quite a few years ago. Problems with that sort of scope aren't relevant to me. Even when I had a couple Leupolds with CDS and target knobs, I never had any issues. Now that I'm back to plain duplex or, at most, B&C or VH crosshairs, not knob-twisting, there's simply no reason to even look at any other brand.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by bowmanh
Originally Posted by irfubar
It would be wise for Leupold to read these threads.

I occasionally shoot USPSA matches with engineers from Leupold. I've told them about these threads and suggested to one that he should check them out. I'm not sure if he did as I haven't seen him for a few months. But you're right, they should know what their potential customers are thinking.

I sure hope Leupold is becoming aware of the criticism--the Campfire has got to be the largest hunting/shooting website on the interweb these days. If not they're even more dense than we're accusing them of..........

On another thread Randy Newburg took the CEO of Leupold on an elk hunt, I wonder if they had a discussion?

Also would not be surprised if they visit the campfire?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've got several Leupold scopes and never had an issue sighting them in. They've always moved the correct direction and distance. That's one of the things I love about Leupold, how quick and easy it is to get sighted in. If I'm 2 1/4 inches left at 100 yards and move it 9 clicks to the right, my next shot will normally be dead on. I'm confused by all the reports of issues people have with this.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Leupold is a $100M a year company. My guess is they could care less what the campfire says.

I've had good luck over the past 35 yrs with L, having only one (recent vintage VX3) not track even close to what was dialed. My most recent 2-12 VX6 has made 3 trips across the pond to Africa and I've never touched the dials, and something has to be said for surviving the baggage handling gorillas. My Americase looks like a herd of hyenas has been attacking it. I've never dialed any Leupy very much, just occasionally.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Leupold is a $100M a year company. My guess is they could care less what the campfire says.

This^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is until they see it as affecting their balance sheet...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've had good luck over the past 35 yrs with L, having only one (recent vintage VX3) not track even close to what was dialed. My most recent 2-12 VX6 has made 3 trips across the pond to Africa and I've never touched the dials, and something has to be said for surviving the baggage handling gorillas. My Americase looks like a herd of hyenas has been attacking it. I've never dialed any Leupy very much, just occasionally.

They built that $100million dollar company on a great reputation. They are losing that reputation. The market share they have already lost is astounding!
The tactical crowd is the fastest growing segment of the shooting industry and Leupold cant compete.
Mainstay companies fail all the time if they cant adapt and compete. Think Sears , Montgomery wards, Kmart etc.....

Hunters are a loyal lot and we want Leupold to succeed. But hunts are expensive and an optic failure is not to be tolerated.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by TreeMutt
Not trying to be smart or nuthin but for the same money, or less, what is better? Maybe I can be educated on this matter?

I need a scope with good eye relief and eye box dimensions and that, AFAIK, is LEUPOLD...this is more important to me than slightly better clarity, brightness, definition, repeatability, etc. I don't F with adjustments unless I'm changing loads and never had a lick of a problem doing this with a Leupold, Being that's the only time I adjusted, I even liked the old friction adjustments better than clicks..

I'm basically a hunter and wear thicker duds when hunting, despite thinsulate and goretex,etc., There's a difference than when shooting in the summer with a T-shirt on. I like a scope to come up without crawling into the stock too much. So, when someone say's they looked through a Leupold and a Brand X at dusk and the Brand X had better whatever, don't mean diddly squat to me if the eye distance and box don't measure up.

But that's just how I approach scopes, it seems to me that even a lot of the lower cost scopes of today are just as good or better optically than the top name brand scopes of 20 or 30 years ago. We killed just as much game then. Being US made is also a consideration that is actually important, IMO.

In complete agreement! The only Leupold I returned for a failure on a hunt was a 4x M7 in 1967. The reticule broke which was promptly fixed and I still use it on a Mannlicher-Schoenauer. I have several newer models ranging from M8, Rifleman, VX-l, VXll, VariXll, and VariX-lll, use them and, until I've found all their attributes in another brand, will continue. My only complaint is they are too short and that is why I use a lot of El Paso Weavers and Denver Redfields.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Agreed. Bean counting executives are able to burn through the equity which is a company’s brand because it’s not adequately accounted for on the balance sheet.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

They built that $100million dollar company on a great reputation. They are losing that reputation. The market share they have already lost is astounding!
The tactical crowd is the fastest growing segment of the shooting industry and Leupold cant compete.
Mainstay companies fail all the time if they cant adapt and compete. Think Sears , Montgomery wards, Kmart etc.....

Hunters are a loyal lot and we want Leupold to succeed. But hunts are expensive and an optic failure is not to be tolerated.

Well said. I don't know the stats on Leupold's market share but if they want to maintain their position they need to be on top of current trends. Even very successful companies need to stay on the leading edge to survive.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

Always wondered about market shares in the sport optics market. Care to share what they are? Source?

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kingston
Agreed. Bean counting executives are able to burn through the equity which is a company’s brand because it’s not adequately accounted for on the balance sheet.

So true.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Always wondered about market shares in the sport optics market. Care to share what they are? Source?

JGRaider,
My assertions are strictly anecdotal so you can take them for what they are worth. wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Joe
In complete agreement! The only Leupold I returned for a failure on a hunt was a 4x M7 in 1967. The reticule broke which was promptly fixed and I still use it on a Mannlicher-Schoenauer. I have several newer models ranging from M8, Rifleman, VX-l, VXll, VariXll, and VariX-lll, use them and, until I've found all their attributes in another brand, will continue. My only complaint is they are too short and that is why I use a lot of El Paso Weavers and Denver Redfields.

Your confidence in and loyalty to Leupold is a perfect example of the equity capital that is their legacy. This somewhat intangible, but very real and, in Leupold’s case, significantly valuable asset is difficult to inventory and account. The fear here is that much of
Leupold’s profits are the result of spending the irreplaceable capital that is their legacy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Quietly spending down brand equity capital is much easier than figuring out how to operate in contemporary manufacturing, distribution and user/consumer markets.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Never been a "hater" nor have I ever been a fan or loyalist. Over the years I've had my fair share that wouldn't track worth a darn right out of the box brand new. Yes they have very good CS but it a PITA shipping them back and forth. I'm down to my last few and they're being sold off and replaced with Euro optics.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bowmanh
It would be wise for Leupold to read these threads.

I occasionally shoot USPSA matches with engineers from Leupold. I've told them about these threads and suggested to one that he should check them out. I'm not sure if he did as I haven't seen him for a few months. But you're right, they should know what their potential customers are thinking.

I make sure to forward links to all of these threads, both complimentary as well as problematic to the manufacturers as I feel, as a supporting vendor here, it is my obligation to the members to make sure their voices are heard and as a retailer that the manufacturers see what's going on an address these issues

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kingston

This^^^^^^^

Leupolds are being heavily discounted right now. Lot of it can be accounted for with the Trump effect which is affecting the entire American shooting world currently. But being a large company they are probably seeing a loss of market share, and more importantly the advertising they don't receive when folks win shooting competitions with other scopes.

That discounting is most likely affecting this year's bottom line.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’ve had good luck with mine.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,846
Posts18,496,943
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.